Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
I think a lot of people just don't realize that how they drive can affect their mileage that much. They bought a car that was "good on gas" so whatever it is getting is that they think it's capable of. One thing I have found helps people clue in is to tell them just to keep track of their mileage on one tank of gas. Then you actually have some data to refer to when you say "Your car is rated for 25mpg but you are only getting 19" instead of just "you are wasting gas driving that way". A little more math to show them how much that would save them in gas money and they start to see the light!

Kodak (07-23-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
I have been trying to save fuel in the company trucks. I got the one 3/4 ton diesel to 30.01mpg before someone dragged it down to 14.3!!!!! I also managed to get the 1/2 ton gasser to 25mpg!!! The guys riding with me didn't seem to care or believe it. Some folks don't change. I have been trying to keep my truck above 25 mpg. Still trying to find time to finish the bed cover.

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Funny how even when confronted by the math, and shown how much they waste, THEY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO THINK!

Americans are tuned from birth to waste and don't even realize it. Then when facing cold hard facts they turn the brain off and let anger come in to cloud the issue even further.

I am to the point where I tell someone who wants to ride with me that if they are in ANY kind of a hurry they need to ride with someone else, even though the time of transport will be about the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to BHarvey For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (07-23-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
Americans are tuned from birth to waste and don't even realize it. Then when facing cold hard facts they turn the brain off and let anger come in to cloud the issue even further.
I have to disagree with you to some degree on this one. Some Americans may have the luxury of wasting without enough of a financial consequence to alert them, but this is true of anyone with enough money, not just Americans.

Plus, there are numerous US residents on this board. How are we the special flowers of the bunch? I admit, there are a lot of engineers and such on here with a vastly better understanding of cars than the average person, but there are a lot of weekend warriors on here too, all just trying to be more efficient. Some of us are even able to convince friends and family to learn about hypermiling.

I can definitely think of people who act exactly as you describe, BHarvey, I just don't think being American is the trigger for wasting. Anyone with a lack of understanding - or lack of desire to try to understand - how their mileage works will likely fall into the trap that War_Wagon mentioned. When people talk about gas prices or FE, they usually ask about how the vehicle does, not how the person drives it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodak For This Useful Post:
FSUspectra (08-29-2011), JethroBodine (07-23-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
I get razzed by the guys at the shop quite a bit, when they are in groups. When singular, they take me aside and ask in a hushed voice, while looking over their shoulders, so noone will see or hear, how they can get better mileage out of ther vehicle. Even one of the "suits" took me aside to ask my advice on which vehicle he should get for his daughter for mileage. I think it's hysterical.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98civicDX View Post
I had to take my older brother somewhere today and it was funny. He started getting pissed off and yelling on my driving techniques. But i pointed out to him little things like no need to accelerate to a red light and basic hypermiling. He had no idea. Its crazy how most drivers are oblivious to theyre driving habits. They all want to floor it to a red light and slam on the brakes. I showed him how even though cars where passing me, i was keeping up with them in the long run. He didnt care. He calls me a cheapo. I tell him it has nothing to do with the money. It has become more of a challenge.
Poor guy, just one of the sheeple. He wasn't in a college fraternity was he? A Tea party member? So uncomfortable with "norms" outside of TV. Goes out in public unshaven, wearing a t-shirt and has a few Stoopid Stamps on his arms? "Indie" music? Fox News? HuffPo? . . . all the variations on the same agenda.

Consumer culture's a problem for everyone. Rejecting it is treasonous!

Anything that may require some intellectual application is not only suspect, but elitist.

Try him out on a word like resilience. Is it a tag someone else told him to reject (based on ad hominem disparagement), or can he discuss it conceptually?

It's even more fun when scientific models are thought to be of religious import.

Older brothers can be a lifelong source of fun.

More soberingly: Americans use more than twice the per capita energy use of Europeans. But it's laughable (can't-breathe-laughable) that our lives are twice as good. It isn't even comparable since their societal arrangements are so much better. (Despite now sinking under the same parasitic bankers).

Last edited by slowmover; 07-24-2011 at 12:23 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

I wonder if it is immediate feedback - low attention span ?

When I started with eco driving seriously Mrs A thought it was wierd - not that she noticed much about my driving except the lack of speed - I drive like a limo driver anyway and I briefly drove buses a decade ago.

Now in her Prius she can see immediate results - higher MPG bars, fully charged battery and so on. Now she looks for full or half cars on the 5 min economy screen (half cars are called "Shorts" because they look like Capt. Underpants' underpants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
Americans are tuned from birth to waste and don't even realize it.
This is not just an American thing, it is one of the things that annoys me about any rich society, recent or otherwise. For example spend some time on, say, an Indian (as in sub-continent) car forum and see how they like their speed. Mind you take a longer look and find guys who have 200K on a Maruti 800 (aka 800cc Suzuki hatchback) and love them to bits.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
I have to disagree with you to some degree on this one. Some Americans may have the luxury of wasting without enough of a financial consequence to alert them, but this is true of anyone with enough money, not just Americans.

Plus, there are numerous US residents on this board. How are we the special flowers of the bunch?
We all have our different means, but our culture is focused on consumption, and as much as possible. Most here, when faced with a money crunch would drive less rather than better.

Are we really special, or are we just like any other niche interest group that looks down on people who do the exact opposite of what we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Here's a concise summation of all speed discussions .

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"
George Carlin

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
busypaws (07-25-2011), JethroBodine (07-25-2011), War_Wagon (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Here's a concise summation of all speed discussions .

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"
George Carlin
That would be a good bumper sticker or forum signature.

Reply  Post New Thread