Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
We all have our different means, but our culture is focused on consumption, and as much as possible. Most here, when faced with a money crunch would drive less rather than better.

Are we really special, or are we just like any other niche interest group that looks down on people who do the exact opposite of what we do?

I don't know if it is necessarily looking down on others, I think maybe it is more like the way things go when you have an interest in anything - the more you are interested in something, the more you pay attention to it, and therefore the more you notice people that aren't doing it. In our case though we can see positive effects on our pocketbooks, the environment, a reduction in our dependence on foreign oil etc just by doing something that we find enjoyable, so it makes it harder to understand why other people "don't get it."

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
I don't know if it is necessarily looking down on others, I think maybe it is more like the way things go when you have an interest in anything - the more you are interested in something, the more you pay attention to it, and therefore the more you notice people that aren't doing it. In our case though we can see positive effects on our pocketbooks, the environment, a reduction in our dependence on foreign oil etc just by doing something that we find enjoyable, so it makes it harder to understand why other people "don't get it."
I agree. I don't try to conserve because I couldn't afford to get to work otherwise. I do it because wasting resources just seems senseless. Why use 400 gallons of fuel a year when 300 could do if I just pay a little attention? It also makes driving interesting and adds a little excitement to my drive. The feeling when I time the lights just right and coast from one to the next in silence is great. At that moment I feel like I have made driving into an art form.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graydonengineering For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (07-25-2011), FSUspectra (08-29-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
The PRC.

^^^ What he/she tapped. +1 although my "art" is more "Banksy" than Monet at the moment as I re-learn petrol coming from Diesel.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
It also makes driving interesting and adds a little excitement to my drive. The feeling when I time the lights just right and coast from one to the next in silence is great. At that moment I feel like I have made driving into an art form.

The establishment of good or excellent habits makes predictions of how far I can go on X-amount fuel of valuable consistency. Too many conditions that I should train for is another way of saying it: weather, traffic, economic conditions, etc.

I try to make it so that what I am willing to do is habit (not work), and that I make it so that any driving is also the safest (as I understand this), and for longest vehicle life.

The "art" is the grace of the thing. The tangible and intangible blend beautifully for us tree-swingin' monkeys when it comes to driving.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
My dad did not drive slowly by any means, but he preached the essence of professional driving, "In his opinion". He had a couple of hard rules.
1) If you have to use the brakes out on the open road, you are not looking far enough ahead/paying attention.
2) NEVER drive faster on straightaways than the curves, with a few extreme exceptions:
A)You are being an asshole to those behind who are willing to go faster in general, by hindering their ability to pass you.
B) you are wasting fuel each time you brake into the curve and accelerate out of it.
3) drive very smoothly. It lets you drive faster in those curves, safer on the snow, ice, and wet roads, and is nicer to your passengers. You can get away with driving faster if you are smooth!
4) be courteous to all, and especially truck drivers.

I am taking all that hard-imprinted habit from my dad and ever-so-slowly taking my foot out a bit. It is a hard habit to break, er brake

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Goes out in public unshaven, wearing a t-shirt and has a few Stoopid Stamps on his arms? "
Pretty much describes me to a "T". Hmmmm.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Reply  Post New Thread