Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
How Numerous?

How many ecomodders/hypermilers do you suppose are out there on the road?

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Not one in several thousand. I can drive 400 miles in a day, and thousands of cars will pass me. I might pass one or two potential hypermilers that day.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Very few. Its really sad...

Old 08-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Big Dave -

It's gotta be miniscule. In terms of forum participation, I don't know what the rule-of-thumb is, but I think the active members represent maybe 10% of the pairs of "eye balls" reading the threads. How many of the lurkers are doing/using the stuff we are documenting is even harder to know.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Not one in several thousand. I can drive 400 miles in a day, and thousands of cars will pass me. I might pass one or two potential hypermilers that day.
I agree, almost none. Even the people I know that I talk to about what I am doing, most think it is pretty cool, and are quite impressed with the benefits, but none of them would never even consider doing any of it themselves, and get ticked if they end up behind me at just 5 mph under the limit. They always complain about the price of gas. But when it comes down to actually doing anything about it, they're like "ohhh, well I won't be seen in a $hitbox, or something that looks like a batmobile, or I won't slow down cause it'll take me too long or it's boring, or god hypermiling is just sooo much work it's not worth it...." We are barely a drop in the bucket, hence why Detroit continues to build what they do.

I have to wonder if it will ever catch on. A wasteful way of life is what fuels the great American economy.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

CR-EX - '12 Honda CR-Z EX
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetwo
I'm surprised to see people say there probably aren't that many, then again it may be largely because of perspective. I've just recently starting looking at regularly visited boards and articles on-line and I've been surprised to find that there are a lot more than I thought.

An example of what I'm talking about is by going on PriusChat | Toyota Prius Forums, News, and Accessories I've found that there are a LOT, and I do mean LOT of lurkers going there. WAY more in fact lurk there rather than join up and post on the board and that was a real surprise. Granted, I get it! You can't completely tell who is and isn't just by looking because there are a lot of folks who jumped on the hybrid train just to carry the look or stigma of being "that way" or whatever it is people call it. Yet again, there are a lot of folks who drive an unlikely vehicle for economy yet they are doing the best they can to get the most out of that vehicle and may even have a few mods to support the MPG endeavor. I'm one in fact, because I drive my GMC Canyon quite a bit when I have to travel but when I'm not in some random city, most of the time I'm in Augusta, GA in fact - that's when I drive my little respectable Civic.

Another thing to consider, is if you saw me for example again, you might not think for a second that I know how to drive conservatively, but the fact is I simply can't go around hypermiling all the time because things happen, I become late unexpectedly no matter how much I prepare sometimes and that's when I have to haul ass unfortunately.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
I'd say more or less 1 out of 5 000 people care about mileage enough to read online forums or fuel economy related blogs. IMHO an higher ratio of people are propense to eco-consious driving.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

CR-EX - '12 Honda CR-Z EX
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
I'd say more or less 1 out of 5 000 people care about mileage enough to read online forums or fuel economy related blogs. IMHO an higher ratio of people are propense to eco-consious driving.
That's actually more like what I was thinking about and that seems pretty good considering our collective attitude (as a nation) wherein we kind of seem to say "so what" when it comes to fuel economy, at least as long as gas prices are below $3.00 a gallon.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
This really drives me crazy.

I'm out trying to let friends know that the fuel cost are going to increase and they just look at me like I'm lost.

The people in the United States live so much in the present and never really consider the future.

I have a lot of friends that are buying new full size trucks now because they can get a great deal on them. I keep asking why is it your getting this great deal? They responded with a I don't know and don't care.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
This really drives me crazy.

I'm out trying to let friends know that the fuel cost are going to increase and they just look at me like I'm lost.

The people in the United States live so much in the present and never really consider the future.

I have a lot of friends that are buying new full size trucks now because they can get a great deal on them. I keep asking why is it your getting this great deal? They responded with a I don't know and don't care.
A friend of mine bought a H2 for a 6 mile trip to school. Never heating the engine up. I doubt he can do the round trip on 2 gallons of gas.

Reply  Post New Thread