Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
The manual rack will likely require more turns lock to lock, so keep that in mind.
If you need to increase the steering ratio for a manual rack in an ECHO of all things, you should consider electric powered steering. Increasing the turning ratio would be a bigger pain than going electric. For some people, power steering isn't a luxury item, for those efficiency minded people there is electric power.

If you know you can handle a power steering rack with the pump off, a manual rack with the same steering ratio is going to be a piece of pie. Even at the same ratio it's still easier to handle a manual rack.

Here's an article I found on electric power steering. And here. They're a couple hundred dollars from what I've seen. Hardly a good investment unless there is more than a 3% FE saving.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fords Power steering Opinions

.4 to 1 mpg
http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...2/903139979/-1
Old 05-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Article Related to Power Steering Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I drive 2001 Toyota Echo, the engine has two serpentine belts.
One that serves water pump, alternator and A/C and another one which serves just power steering pump. I was thinking of taking that belt off.

1) My question is does anyone drive a car set up with power steering without the power steering pump running.

2) What would be the possible damage to the steering system.

3) And finally what could I save in power by unloading the engine from that accesory?

Please lets leave the safety aspects of that mod out of this discussion.
Article Related to Power Steering Delete for more HP and less weight, but in our case it would be FE.
Acura Integra Type-R RaceCar - Tech Review - Honda Tuning Magazine
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
I think vtec-e was right, you'd get somewhere from 3-5 mpg depending on how much turning you do. . .(if you drive a straight line the system doesn't have to work very hard).
3 to 5? I don't think so!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
3 to 5? I don't think so!
I totally agree!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scan Gauge W/& W0 Power Steering

It seems to me I could Check the Scan Gauge (gallons per hour) while idling at different RPMs then remove the belt To get an idea of power steering affect from idling. Then I could do a WAG to get an idea of real world results. Then test the results to see if they jive Baaaamm!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I only mentioned the ratio difference because I don't know what his tolerance for a turning ratio increase would be. The fact that they even offered a manual rack implies the ease with which the wheel can be turned. Bothering to convert to electric seems excessive to me. Might as well leave the hydraulic that's already there than spend money for what's likely a very negligible difference in mileage and a loss of steering feel (though that will probably make little difference in an Echo vs. the hydraulic). The electric conversion also wouldn't reduce weight much, if at all.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Turbo gas guzzler

grocery getter - '03 Mitsu Evolution
90 day: 17.55 mpg (US)
when you are not turning, there will be very little load on the power steering pump. the power robbing load is when you are holding the wheel at full lock and the system is at max pressure. the biggest problem you will likely see by removing the belt would be wear and tear on the steering gear assembly due to no fluid cycling through the system. It would likely take a while for problems to show up, but it will reoccur sooner or later. Getting a real manual rack would be the easiest solution for you.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I totally agree :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzie604 View Post
when you are not turning, there will be very little load on the power steering pump. the power robbing load is when you are holding the wheel at full lock and the system is at max pressure. the biggest problem you will likely see by removing the belt would be wear and tear on the steering gear assembly due to no fluid cycling through the system. It would likely take a while for problems to show up, but it will reoccur sooner or later. Getting a real manual rack would be the easiest solution for you.
Yep, it is known that extreme lock does put more of a load on the Power steering. I thought the point of removing the power rack and testing the effiency was for real world results. I don't know anyone that drives around fully locked or even anyone that turns more than they drive straight and I drive city with more turns in 7miles than anyone I know, yet if the math is done it still is something like 99% straight. (I ride my bicycle most of the time but if I do drive my car)
Here is another Power pump removal with filter & breather.
how to remove power steering - SR20 Forum

Old 05-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Echo Power Steering Vs Manual Lock to Lock

I found the Lock to Lock on The Toyota Echo Power Steering vs Manual

3.8/3.3 turns (manual/power)

Reply  Post New Thread