Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2023, 10:54 AM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Although if you're idling down a hill you're still burining fuel. Shutting off the engine would burn zero fuel, but then you can't blip the throttle to get the gears to mesh.
Right, but it isnīt a lot. My car (BMW 523i E39) consumes a litre per hour while idling with a warmed up engine. I have a analog fuel consumption gauge, and I learned: If it is on about "4 l/100 km" while driving with 100 km/h, I can easily put out the gear without a loss of speed. Result: 1l/100 km. With a switched off engine it would be 0l/100 km, but with no steering support (old car with a hydraulic pump) and, after a few braking processes, with no brake booster. Thatīs why I never switching the engine off, although itīs not illegal here in germany.

The Following User Says Thank You to Silent Blood For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (10-10-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2023, 10:56 AM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakriti View Post
You're absolutely right. Automatic rev-matching systems in newer cars may not eliminate wear on synchronizer rings entirely, as other factors can still contribute to wear and tear on these components
I've never driven a car with automatic rev matching, but unless the driver momentarily releases the clutch while passing through neutral at the proper RPM (if the system will even allow that) similar to manually double clutching, there's no way rev matching is going to help the synchros at all because using the engine to manipulate the speed of the transmission's input shaft through a fully disengaged clutch is impossible.

Reply  Post New Thread