Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Probably should start a new topic then.

I had a full fairing recumbent trike with a 6000w motor, around 1kwh of lithium, turn signals, running lights, 3 wheel braking, etc. etc. and had a lot of fun with it, but my life was not set up in such a way as to put it to good use.

The last folding bike I owned I found got really squirrelly above around 12mph, and ran out of gearing around there too. My preferred cruising speed is around 20mph. I'll have to take your word on Bromptons, I've never owned one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171221_162609.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	28410  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
I mean, you don't like small wheel bikes, I've got it. But you can get just about anything now bike-wise that will fold and fit in the trunk of a Civic or whatever no problem. And they're nice, too! Montague makes some very nice ones.

Front suspension MTB with 27.5" wheels?
https://www.montaguebikes.com/produc...oper-highline/

Hybrid bike with 700c wheels?
https://www.bikecraze.com/Montague-U...urban-dc21.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-08-2020), freebeard (06-08-2020), JulianEdgar (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Once again define 'a normal adult bike, outside a normal sedan' I guess the "normal" here was a bridge too far. What is normal to you? Since you asked, a foldup bike is not, and small wheel bikes I gave up when i stopped doing bike tricks when I was 12, and they are very useful for that, regardless I still find advantages in larger wheel bikes for my application, others obviously have different needs.
"[B]ridge too far" is an odd way to denigrate the question. So I am to assume you will not identify the year, make and model of the car and bike in question. Perhaps you don't have a car and bike?
Quote:
Is the 'normal sedan' a notchback? Could be, does that matter much from a "aero" standpoint on this context, it only matters to me from the standpoint of on how much aero interaction the bike will generate, no matter what it is, I'm looking for ideas to reduce that drag, within my stated parameters Does the 'normal adult bike' have a removable front wheel? Yes it does, but my original parameter excludes that "normal" solution
Same again. 'Could be' is non-responsive.
Quote:
Your not breaking new ground except for posting in Aerodynamics instead of Ecomodding Central or General Efficiency. Central has the most traffic. You want to attract comment from someone like Bicycle Bob or Toecutter. I guess then the thinking is they are better sources for Aero drag reduction concepts concerning non normal items attached to the outside of a "normal sedan" temporarily?
The suggestion was to put it in front of more eyes.
Quote:
The picture I wasn't willing to post has a ~$120 bike. The cable lock locks it to the back bumper. The front wheel comes off, but I don't bother. I haven't tested the mileage penalty, but it's within the wake of a 'dirty' car, a [normal] VW Beetle. I guess then that was stating the obvious, or why we don't attach it to the front bumper? A forum that is so focused to minimize "wake" would seem to be a fertile ground to focus in on locating that wake's "sweet spot" to best transport a bike, but I guess not.
The forum is as much about ROI as minimizing wake. Rule of thumbs get push-back.
Quote:
The "theft bait" comment I thought was self explanatory, being the more expensive eye candy an item is ( since taking it out and riding is its main function), the greater attention it gets and the payoff is greater for stealing it.
If the bike is stored on the outside, no-one needs to break in. ???? Buying a [diesel] GTI was a joke.

It's had to respond when you use color to separate quote and response. This response was a lot more trouble than the questions deserve.

samwichse — Good response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
Military Folding Bikes | Montague Bikes
Search domain http://www.montaguebikes.com/militar...folding-bikes/
There have even been Swiss Army and Swiss Military bikes used more recently. The Montague is the latest and most advanced in the line. No other bicycle has the versatility of the Montague Paratrooper with its ability to withstand heavy abuse, easily fold up, and drop from an airplane for ground transportation.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
My preferred cruising speed is around 20mph.
Moulton, 16 inch wheels, 1962.

261km (162mi) distance ridden in 6 hours, 43 minutes and 23 seconds – an average of nearly 39km/h (24mph).

It wasn't long after that small wheeled bikes were banned from 99 per cent of cycle competitions. The one area where they weren't banned - outright speed records - have been dominated by small wheeled bikes.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-08-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
bike

As mentioned by others, consider yanking the front wheel, then hiding as much of the bike in the wake.
A receiver hitch-mounted cargo box,the shape of a truncated aerodynamic boat-tail would be the ultimate ( bike loaded in diagonally ).It would secure the bike, provide additional storage volume,plus knock down the drag coefficient.
AeroStealth ran the Brett Herndon AeroLid and Herndon boat- tail, reducing his 2014 F-150 from Cd 0.408, down to Cd 0.31. Cybertruck territory!
Old 06-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
AeroStealth ran the Brett Herndon AeroLid and Herndon boat- tail, reducing his 2014 F-150 from Cd 0.408, down to Cd 0.31. Cybertruck territory!
How was that measured?
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
How was that measured?
It was measured in the same place as the Tesla Model S reported in your book. And if you don't like the numbers, then please send a retraction out to everyone who bought your book, discounting all the drag coefficients you published.