Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
In the naturally aspirated 1.6L Golf diesel I used to own was the only car I've gotten pulled over for going too slow... and I had the pedal to the metal and the engine reved up as high as I could get it to go. But it was barely going 25mph in a 55mph zone up a hill. That's all it could do, big plumes of black smoke and all.

Man! I miss that car!
You know you’re an ecomodder when you miss your old naturally aspirated diesel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Should be biking For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-01-2022), redpoint5 (12-01-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Hold your hands up high...

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
You can turbo charge an old Prius as it has been done before. IIRC the only problem is it starts to overcharge the HV battery.
Uhmmm what?
Old 12-01-2022, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Uhmmm what?
https://priuschat.com/threads/2zr-ft...s.79789/page-3

I couldn't find the stories that I remember it working. But apparently it can work. There are limitations to how well it works just like with anything else.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Should be biking View Post
VW sold the Jetta hybrid with a 1.4 turbo

I3 Rex and got a class action lawsuit because people didn’t want to be stuck doing 50mph on a hill after the battery ran out.
California legislators should have been the ones sued as they required the Rex to engage only at 1-2% SOC (dead battery)

The Euro spec programming allows you to run 500-1000 miles without slowdown because you can engage the REX at will even with ann80% (full) battery
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-01-2022), Piwoslaw (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Look at any brake specific fuel consumption chart and you'll see that any engine is most efficient at a certain load and speed. If you had a small engine that produced just enough (perhaps a little bit more) to satisfy the average power needs running continously at that perfect load and RPM and then used a very efficient hybrid system to store that energy and and administer that energy as needed by the driver, you could potentially have an ultra efficient engine setup, at least in theory.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Basically every hybrid Volvo, and the overwhelming majority of Volvos 2018 and newer that I see, are hybrid and turbocharged. More specifically they're twincharged, as they also have a blower which is clutched off at a given RPM that I forgot. Turbo-lag and concerns about oil starvation to the center shaft might be the reason why turbocharged hybrids are not so common, even when non-hybrid versions of a same model feature a turbocharged engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Diesels should just never be NA. Turbocharging them is simple compared to a gasoline engine. Just seems a no-brainer to me.
A few days ago I was thinking about the reasons why it's now impossible to see a modern Brazilian-proof engine, which could withstand to some serious neglect and abuse. Good ol' naturally-aspirated Diesels are gone, but in fact they used to be more tollerant to lower-grade lube oils for instance. On a sidenote, even when Europe was already better served with turbodiesels and common-rail, the JDM Corolla still resorted to the 2.2L 3C-E naturally-aspirated IDI engine until at least 2004, which BTW was liable to a higher displacement-biased yearly taxation, while both Euro-spec turbodiesel engines fitted to the E120 Corolla were of a lower displacement between 1.4L and 2.0L which would've been subjected to lower taxations. When it comes to trucks, around the same timeframe Isuzu still used to make a massive 30.4L naturally-aspirated V10 around 600hp for some of its big rigs, while all the European and American truck manufacturers wouldn't ever dare to use a naturally-aspirated engine again, and usually didn't make anything bigger than 16-litre for road-going trucks.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Turbos also need a cool down after driving. Like the one lady I knew who went through at least two turbos because she'd come off the highway, park, and then shut the engine off immediately. A turbo-less engine has fewer parts to go wrong. I still think that with the way electric drives are it woult make more sense to put more power to the electric part of the hybrid and not worry so much about the power of the gasoline engine.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Newer high temp semi synthetic engine oils have reduced the coking that sleeve bearing turbos suffered from. The ball bearing ones generally used today along with higher nickle alloys have reduced the cool down time. Our 2013 volksie TDI manual says drive city streets for a couple of blocks after freeway use. NOT a lot of turbo failures reported on the TDI forum. Fuel pumps or dpf clogging OTOH.......
JSH (12-04-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Diesels should just never be NA. Turbocharging them is simple compared to a gasoline engine. Just seems a no-brainer to me.
If you’re concerned about cost, reliability, and cheaper emissions a NA Diesel costs under half what a turbo diesel costs.
This would eliminate the diesel costs to much to PHEV arguement

Diesel’s using sequential injection can also operate as a partially multi fuel engine.
The best example of this was a college program where diesel was used for steady driving and as a spark plug but CNG or e85 was injected late for power.
A naturally aspirated diesel dual fuel with late injection e85 for power actually generates more horsepower than a TDI in most normal applications

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hybrid, turbo