Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2023, 05:44 PM   #61 (permalink)
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Technically Toyota hybrids don't have an actual neutral. The engine is always geared to the wheels through the transmission. It's how much torque the second motor/generator creates that determines the torque on the wheels and at the engine.
If you squint really hard you could say the car is electrically disconnected from the wheels, though that's just being pedantic at that point (considering neutral also stops the engine from being able to charge the traction battery).
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The Prius doesn't DFCO when it starts up do to long periods of regen. It high idles the engine until coolant reaches 130 degrees. It is never running the engine AND engine braking unless you shift to L.

I know all this because I watched coolant temperature, MG1 and MG2 power, closed loop, fuel consumption, among dozes of other things. Plus, you can simply hear the engine high idling and contributing no power to the car or deceleration.
My assumption here is that if your car's battery is full, then it cannot keep using regen braking alone to slow down anymore, and using the mechanical brakes for long periods of time isn't an option either.

You say your car isn't using engine braking, but the car has to be throwing away battery energy somewhere in order to keep regen braking working. The engine doesn't need to do anything to the wheels as long the energy input to spin it up is more than the energy output from the idle fuel rate, thus discharging the battery for more regen braking.

Outside opening all the windows for drag, the only ways i know a hybrid car can slow down are mechanical, regen, and engine braking. It can't be none of them.

I am curious whether a conventional car would disable DFCO if one was to engine brake down a mountain for so long that the engine internals have cooled to ambient.

Last edited by Appletank; 11-30-2023 at 05:49 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #62 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
There are times the Toyota engine starts up for warming things up (you can tell if you pay attention to the timing, it retards to something like 30 or 40 degrees after (not before) top dead center.

There are times it seems that it thinks the battery may not have the power needed (too cold, too hot, too old, etc.) so it turns on the engine preemptively in case you hit the accelerator.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #63 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletank View Post
On the flats, yeah that's just gonna be a HP hit, though it'd probably won't be too noticeable unless you need 80% power a lot.
I used to know a businessman, who passed away some months ago, and once he owned a hybrid Volvo S60, with that twincharged engine. Not only as the supercharged decreased turbo-lag, it was also decoupled around 2000 RPM, but he was also quite lead-footed, so he would often speed up. The last car I saw him driving was an electric Volvo XC40.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:41 AM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Oh and on this threads actual topic, all of the Jeep PHEVs are 2.0 turbo 4 engines.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #65 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Oh and on this threads actual topic, all of the Jeep PHEVs are 2.0 turbo 4 engines.
The new Toyota hybrids are turbocharged as well. (Crown, Tacoma, Tundra)
Old 12-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #66 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The new Toyota hybrids are turbocharged as well. (Crown, Tacoma, Tundra)
When it comes to the Tundra, it's the same strategy of the hybrid F-150, yet the Tundra now has no V8 available, so the hybrid setup also functions as a power boost more than simply being focused on fuel savings.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:32 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I saw a Tundra with sequential turn signals.

Haven't seen that since the mid-60s T-birds.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:33 PM   #68 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Once in a while I see sequential turn signals in some European cars. Not sure if US-spec trims are allowed to have it.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hybrid, turbo