Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2022, 11:55 AM   #41 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismailkho View Post
To summarize, there are several reasons why there are no turbocharged hybrids on the market. The Atkinson cycle, which is commonly used in hybrid vehicles, is designed to optimize fuel efficiency rather than power. Adding a turbocharger to a hybrid powertrain would introduce additional complexity and cost, and may be difficult to integrate with the hybrid control systems in a way that maintains good fuel efficiency and performance. While it is possible to turbocharge a hybrid vehicle aftermarket, it may not result in better efficiency compared to a non-hybrid vehicle with equivalent power. The best way to increase power and maintain good fuel efficiency in a hybrid vehicle is to use a larger, more powerful hybrid powertrain from the factory.
I do believe the original question was about adding an aftermarket turbo to a Prius. Yes, it can be done. You can get a small increase in power. Is it worth all the effort for the bragging rights? Or would it be better to replace the battery with some LTO cells with perhaps a better battery cooling system or super capacitors so you can get full amperage all the time?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2023, 09:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
The more intermittent operation of the ICE in a Prius, or any other hybrid, would also not be so favorable to turbocharging.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
vroom vroom

Ironically the one successful turbocharged Prius didn't even get more power, it did however solve the turtle mode from ever appearing since the engine now produces enough excess power to keep the batteries charged. The power that goes to the wheels is tightly controlled by the ECU and the motors, and without completely replacing the code and motors, you can't really go any faster.

Modern prius engines have enough power to keep the batteries topped off 99% of the time so the turbo isn't really needed for this usecase anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Appletank For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (11-29-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 07:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletank View Post
the turbo isn't really needed for this usecase anymore
Not even somewhere with an extremely high altitude I guess...
Old 11-28-2023, 10:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Not even somewhere with an extremely high altitude I guess...
That's the 1% of the time a turbo would be useful, perhaps, but you'd have to carry around dead weight the other 99% of the time.

Somewhat impractical, but being a hybrid does mean you could park at the side of the road half way up the mountain to charge up the battery before going up some more, a non-hybrid wouldn't be able to do that.

On the flats, yeah that's just gonna be a HP hit, though it'd probably won't be too noticeable unless you need 80% power a lot.
Old 11-29-2023, 05:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
My thoughts is that if I ever get the 2006 Prius going (I am working on it, really) a bigger battery would be beneficial. Not only would it help with the high altitude here (7,000ft to 13,000ft) but would also help regen and capture more energy on the way back down.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
vroom vroom

There have been EV mode retrofit Prius projects before, so yeah a bigger battery should be doable. It really does fill up fast on down hills.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletank View Post
There have been EV mode retrofit Prius projects before, so yeah a bigger battery should be doable. It really does fill up fast on down hills.
Thanks! One mod I'm looking at is a NiMH to LFP conversion, which should triple the capacity with half the weight (or so says the salesman).

The Avalon hybrid fills up way fast. On one particular downhill segment it will fill fully charged in what seems to be a 10th of the whole downhill slope.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #49 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Thanks! One mod I'm looking at is a NiMH to LFP conversion, which should triple the capacity with half the weight (or so says the salesman).

The Avalon hybrid fills up way fast. On one particular downhill segment it will fill fully charged in what seems to be a 10th of the whole downhill slope.
I've gone from empty to fully charged on several occasions in the Prius plug-in, which has just over 3 kWh of usable charge. Coming down from Creator Lake, and coming down from Yosemite. I don't think I can get a full charge coming down from Mt. Hood, which has at least 10 miles of continuous costing/regen.

The annoying thing about the Prius is the engine kicks on for some reason when regen has been going for a long time, or when nearing full charge.

Nice to recover that energy, but the reality is a full charge is like getting an extra 1/5th of a gallon of gasoline.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 08:11 PM   #50 (permalink)
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The annoying thing about the Prius is the engine kicks on for some reason when regen has been going for a long time, or when nearing full charge.
I'm pretty sure the car is doing that to prevent the battery from maxing out, via wasting energy by spinning the engine with electricity and warming air a bit. You shouldn't be using any fuel in those cases.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hybrid, turbo