Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2022, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, there is lot of flexfuel cars, I know that. But most efficient ethanol engine is not flexfuel, it compromises too much. Compression ratio, ignition timing, boost pressure etc.. I don't know, could it even have smaller radiator? Of course lot of variables are ecu controlled, but I very much doubt that flexfuel engines very aggressively changes for example timing or boost pressure debending on fuels ethanol contet. They could, even should, thou?

Edit: What I mean, is that typical flexfuel engine is efficient when used petrol fuel and quite ok with ethanol. A pure ethanol flexfuel engine would be an engine, that is efficient with ethanol but petrol option could be some kind of "limb mode", that engine is able to run with it, but very ruined ignition timing and with very high f/a to avoid pinging. Do anybody get, what I'm thinking?

Last edited by J4nn3R; 05-09-2022 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Added the last part
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2022, 01:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Some folks in my country converted gasser cars to ethanol while turbocharging it back in the day, as it was a cheaper way to overcome knock. But I wouldn't advise anyone to get rid of an intercooler, even though bypassing it as as cold-start aid might be a reasonable approach.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Edit: What I mean, is that typical flexfuel engine is efficient when used petrol fuel and quite ok with ethanol. A pure ethanol flexfuel engine would be an engine, that is efficient with ethanol but petrol option could be some kind of "limb mode", that engine is able to run with it, but very ruined ignition timing and with very high f/a to avoid pinging. Do anybody get, what I'm thinking?
On my setup I have done the testing with E 100 Ethanol, E98 Ethanol, E85 Ethanol and GEM 38, GEM 40 and now testing GEM 47.

Quote:
Low static compression ratios can be worked around by running Miller cycle (effectively Atkinson cycle + forced induction).
as Ecky posted above on my setup this is pretty much my engine type.
When I tested E100 Ethanol and petrol at light load Freeway testing, petrol always was a major winner when it came to FE. Now when it came to mid load the gains we're with Ethanol due to its knock resistance, but the Freeway amount of driving time was around 95% compared to the mid load needed.

So, it really comes down to you are trying to overcome Ethanol's numerically lowering heat value compared to Petrol. You can build an engine with high compression dynamic or static but in the end the heating values do matter.

These are just my opinion's so if you really want to build a engine that is for FE on Ethanol please do. Thinking out side of the box is always a great thing

https://afdc.energy.gov/files/u/publ...ison_chart.pdf

Last edited by pgfpro; 05-09-2022 at 11:38 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Ecky (05-09-2022), J4nn3R (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks everybody! There is great knowledge there, and absolutely great to hear what people have experienced.

As I wrote in start, right now I'm not going to build complete engine, but only changing to ethanol. Was thinking, if there is a way to overcome lower energy content. Well, there is no an easy way, if any way at all.

So, for now I'll stay n/a and try to avoid burning any oil based fuels, as they are mostly from our eastern neighbour which I don't want to fund for their latest acts. I'll burn happily local brewed booze made of side streams of food industry, even if my mpg dropd to somewhere around 30.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J4nn3R For This Useful Post:
Ecky (05-09-2022), pgfpro (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'd always thought of Vodka as tractor fuel made from potatoes.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Ecky (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4nn3R View Post
Thanks everybody! There is great knowledge there, and absolutely great to hear what people have experienced.

As I wrote in start, right now I'm not going to build complete engine, but only changing to ethanol. Was thinking, if there is a way to overcome lower energy content. Well, there is no an easy way, if any way at all.

So, for now I'll stay n/a and try to avoid burning any oil based fuels, as they are mostly from our eastern neighbour which I don't want to fund for their latest acts. I'll burn happily local brewed booze made of side streams of food industry, even if my mpg dropd to somewhere around 30.
Oh that makes total sense. I wouldn't want to fund them also. I'm running mine on paint waste solvent and soon E98 made from distilled fruit.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Alky is lower specific energy content than gasoline. You are comparing apples to pineapples. Convert gasoline mileage to the Alky equivalent (say 10% less), and beat that number.

If I ran monomethyl hydrazine and nitrogen tetraoxide, my mileage would be out of this world high, pun intended.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'd always thought of Vodka as tractor fuel made from potatoes.
As long as it has at least 80% alcohol by volume, it may burn. Otherwise it could still eventually be used as a supplemental water + alcohol injection

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-10-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread