Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScionGuys View Post
that is exactly what the cars are used for and have been for the past two weeks.
Not exactly, you said in an earlier post you had the 2 scions wrapped with dimples. You don't have a control car.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #52 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
ScionGuys, how about some numbers?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
( Did anyone else notice the typos on that site ? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I find it amazing that these fly-by-nights spend all this money on their "R&D" and implementation/advertising, but they can't spare a few bucks for an editor... the grammar in that advert is horrible enough to consider that a 12 year old wrote it.

This is usually a good indicator of whether or not a company is reputable, believe it or not... real companies go through several channels to get their advertising out there, as well as PR materials, etc... someone would catch all those mistakes and they'd be fixed before the company had an embarrassing moment on a national level.

Think about that, everyone, the next time you look at something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
ScionGuys, how about some numbers?
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I want to see cumulative test results showing that the MPG has been improved by adding the skin.

Without proof, I don't believe it, and I'm sure many others here feel the same.

Data, please.
Quote:
After having studied psychology in an amateur capacity for the last 7 years or so, I believe in the "Placebo effect."

If you think it will happen, you'll manufacture the result.

So far, all you're doing is perpetuating a claim that none of us can see as being accurate.
I rest my case.

I'm also raising question as to what the intentions of this "Scion-Guys" character really are, considering not a single other post than in this thread, and the person has already been caught in a lie (first, they have two vehicles covered, then one is a control).

There has been no evidence that this person really even has access to the cars he's talking about, and he's perpetuating a rumor that's been proven scientifically on X number of levels to be false, without ANY data to back it up, let alone the scientific end of things. In my mind, this raises serious "Troll" flags.

I just thought I'd throw that in for everyone else's consideration, as it's just my opinion, and well, I'm obviously not sysad on this forum, so it might really mean a little bit of nothing.

Last edited by Christ; 01-25-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

08 xB - '08 Scion xB
90 day: 35.5 mpg (US)
As an owner of a 2008 xB this thread is very interesting to me. It would be very helpful if TheScionGuys could post the data from their tests that showed improvement. My personal best mpg is 35.5 mpg. The general consensus from people at the Scion Life forum is 30-33 can be achieved with proper driving and no modification, measured from fillups. The 2nd gen xBs are rated 22 city and 28 highway.

My mods are: Upper grill block, Sheet aluminum wheel discs, Strup exhaust and Lightweight crank and water pump pulleys.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #55 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
I'm also raising question as to what the intentions of this "Scion-Guys" character really are, considering not a single other post than in this thread, and the person has already been caught in a lie (first, they have two vehicles covered, then one is a control).
And to top it all off, guess what kind of car is covered with this stuff on the company's web pages....

...a Scion.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #56 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthistle View Post
As an owner of a 2008 xB this thread is very interesting to me. It would be very helpful if TheScionGuys could post the data from their tests that showed improvement. My personal best mpg is 35.5 mpg. The general consensus from people at the Scion Life forum is 30-33 can be achieved with proper driving and no modification, measured from fillups. The 2nd gen xBs are rated 22 city and 28 highway.

My mods are: Upper grill block, Sheet aluminum wheel discs, Strup exhaust and Lightweight crank and water pump pulleys.

Whats up bud, I would not hold much weight to what is said or claimed on Scionlife. While a very helpful site as far material for Scion, not many if any are FE misers like the guys here. I too am an xB owner, 1st gen, and am about to buy the new RS 6.0 xB. So good luck to ya and stick to this site if you want true advice on how to squeeze the best mileage out of the B.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #57 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Busted

Not that we actually needed a 3rd party to actually test the dimple wrap to confirm it makes no difference, but Popular Mechanics has done a comparison between two identical vehicles, one wrapped, one not:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...aims-8321.html

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamic, plastic, tape