Register Now

View Poll Results: Ultraguage: EM Plus VS. MX 1.3
EM Plus 2 66.67%
MX 1.3 1 33.33%
Scanguage 2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ultraguage: EM Plus VS. MX 1.3 (2002 Accord LX Automatic)

I have decided on getting an Ultraguage, but I cannot decide between the two versions. My Current car is a 2002 Accord LX Automatic 2.3, and I plan to stick with Honda in the future.

The EM Plus has * :
  • Readiness Monitors indicate what the ECM system is doing. (Do I need this?)
  • Performance Measurements (0-60, braking distance, 1/4 mile, etc) [I don't think I need this] {On second thought, this might be useful for coastdown data, but I do not know if this would work.}
  • Additional Wide O2 Sensor support to track Stoichiometric AFR via Lambda (This is important, right?)

The MX 1.3 has * :
  • the "ability to access manufacturer parameters, if manufacturer codes are known", and "access non-standard manufacturer specific gauges, such as transmission temperature (if supported by the vehicle)". This means it can access and display things like transmission temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, etc, if the car already has the sensors for it. [The 2002 Accord uses the ISO-9141 standard and does not support this, so I do not yet need this feature, but when I get a newer Honda, wouldn't this stuff be useful?]

I could not find any such comparison or discussion on the forum.

After writing this I am leaning towards the EM Plus as I recall the Fuel/Air ratios as often being discussed on this forum. I don't understand why they do not combine the features of these two in another version. (Besides the "Blue" Version that works with a smartphone, as I do not want or need a smartphone until the technology has fully matured, [but that is a discussion for another place and time.]) Perhaps it would be more expensive?

* I would post links to documentation on what the features do, but as this is my first post, I do not have the 5 posts prerequisite needed. So Here is a .txt file with them.

Attached Files
File Type: txt Ultraguage EM Plus VS MX 1.3.txt (431 Bytes, 19 views)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
The monitoring of AFR would be very useful.

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 11-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Couldn't I get a good idea as to what the Fuel air ratio is doing by looking at the oxygen sensor voltage? I really would like the added gauges when I upgrade to a newer Honda. Also, unless I am going for maximum power, I do not need to know the fuel air ratio if I am getting a calculated mpg reading, right?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 122.58 mpg (US)
I have EM plus and love it. Performance thing for me was cool, because having a civic si I can see what my times are when I add stuff. Plus having access to a bunch of different read outs is also cool. This thing is probably the best bang for the buck because its a Gauge for economy, performance, and Engine codes that your car may throw. Easy install, and easy calibration as well.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeKnut View Post
Couldn't I get a good idea as to what the Fuel air ratio is doing by looking at the oxygen sensor voltage? I really would like the added gauges when I upgrade to a newer Honda. Also, unless I am going for maximum power, I do not need to know the fuel air ratio if I am getting a calculated mpg reading, right?
Unless you've got specific plans otherwise, the AFR will just flash back and forth around 14.7. It's of limited use really as that's what the ECU is for. The only possible gain is you would know exactly when fuel enrichment is occurring, but that's less important on a NA engine - you'll probably find the open loop indicator is all you need.

SGII does perfromance measurements and reads "ability to access manufacturer parameters, if manufacturer codes are known", they call it Xgauge.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,372 Times in 3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdrag View Post
I have EM plus and love it. Performance thing for me was cool, because having a civic si I can see what my times are when I add stuff. Plus having access to a bunch of different read outs is also cool. This thing is probably the best bang for the buck because its a Gauge for economy, performance, and Engine codes that your car may throw. Easy install, and easy calibration as well.
I'd say a Bluetooth ELM237 and Torque is the best bang for the buck, if you have an Android device laying around. You can buy new smart phones for as little as $10 these days. Fully customizable, with custom PIDs.

I'm running it on a $60 LG G Pad tablet that I also use for other things.

There are performance gauges too.

It is nice having a self-contained unit that plugs directly into the OBDII port though. I have 2 Ultragauges in other vehicles, and it's nice not having a USB cable dangling from the dash.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I see about 50 variations of the ELM327 on eBay. Where did you get yours? I am inclined to get it from the ELM327 web site. The ones on eBay could be junk.

The ODBII connector in my Yaris sticks down, I'd probably need the "mini" bluetooth

Currently that connector has a Garmin EcorouteHD in it. The hardware is there but the Garmin software is so-so. Nice to have it on the map display.

Really wish I could have both; a way to log data to an Android phone and a way to display it on the Garmin Nuvi.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
em plus, mx 1.3, ultragauge