Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #181 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
GreenHornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 429
Thanks: 41
Thanked 108 Times in 68 Posts
Another pretty impressive weight savings feature that I have decided on is the front disc brake upgrade for the Spitfire. This is not your typical big brake 4 pot caliper kit you see around the net. This will actually be an Aluminum 2 pot caliper swap. The weight savings of this is roughly 6.5lbs per side for a grand total of 13lbs of reduced unsprung weight. Here is the link to these calipers = Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Caliper Product Number: 120-4062

Now the good news is these calipers will work with little modification the bad news is I will have to convert to Spitfire front end. This would not necessarily be bad news but in my case I have a complete front end from a GT6 completely rebuilt and I got it for free. I had planned to just keep the GT6 components up front but now have decided that they are overkill and I will sale the parts and use those funds to purchase the new Spitfire parts. Lots of people convert there Spitfire front ends to GT6 because the brake parts are beefier also the suspension is beefed up as well. For me I don't need the beefed up components of the GT6 all this does for the Centurion is add undesired weight.

So to stay on track with the weight savings theme I have embarked upon the GT6 parts will be sold off and lighter weight Spitfire components will be adopted.

GH

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Billet_Dynalite_Single-lg.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	20008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire brake caliper.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	20009  
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #182 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 9,188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,069 Times in 938 Posts
Have you never considered a belt drive instead of chain drive? At least it would require only the belt to be periodically replaced instead of also having to replace the sprockets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #183 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
GreenHornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 429
Thanks: 41
Thanked 108 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Have you never considered a belt drive instead of chain drive? At least it would require only the belt to be periodically replaced instead of also having to replace the sprockets.
Hey CR,

Ya I have looked at them and they do make them for the Speedmaster =http://www.freespirits.it/en/component/virtuemart/transmission/triumph-america-belt-drive-conversion-heavy-duty-kitdet.html?Itemid=0

Once you get them set up they are good to go with very minimal MTC. To me though they are not as efficient as a chain and they are not easily changed out like a chain drive. They are quiet and you don't have to worry about lubrication like with the chain drive. There are definitely pros to these belt drives but for the cost I am fine putting that money elsewhere for the time being anyways.

It was nice talking with you CR take care down there in Brazil,

GH
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #184 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 9,188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,069 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Once you get them set up they are good to go with very minimal MTC. To me though they are not as efficient as a chain and they are not easily changed out like a chain drive. They are quiet and you don't have to worry about lubrication like with the chain drive. There are definitely pros to these belt drives but for the cost I am fine putting that money elsewhere for the time being anyways.
Not having to worry about lube is also a good point for belts. But anyway, as you're going with a chain drive, have you ever considered getting some chain enclosure? It's reported to increase the durability of the chain as it remains properly lubricated and untouched by road debris.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #185 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki
 
changzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern, NY
Posts: 527

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 159
Thanked 459 Times in 235 Posts
Are there any updates on this project?
-
GreenHornet - what's your 20?
-
~CrazyJerry
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
GreenHornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 429
Thanks: 41
Thanked 108 Times in 68 Posts
Hey CJ,

I have purchased a few parts here and there and decided to attempt to use the Triumph Spitfire clutch kit instead of what the plans call for. It looks as though this will fit better with the 2 cylinder engine I have. I also decided to go with an aluminum adapter plate and utilize the aluminum bellhousing I got from my last parts car purchase. I am working with a local machine shop to get it all worked out and put together. I will update with some pics soon.

Talk to you later,

GH
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #187 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki
 
changzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern, NY
Posts: 527

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 159
Thanked 459 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Hey CJ,

I have purchased a few parts here and there and decided to attempt to use the Triumph Spitfire clutch kit instead of what the plans call for. It looks as though this will fit better with the 2 cylinder engine I have. I also decided to go with an aluminum adapter plate and utilize the aluminum bellhousing I got from my last parts car purchase. I am working with a local machine shop to get it all worked out and put together. I will update with some pics soon.

Talk to you later,

GH
Good to hear from you GreenHornet! I can't remember how much the adapter plate weighs but the aluminum bellhousing was like a scant 7 lbs! I actually laughed out loud the first time I picked it up. Drive on!
-
~CrazyJerry~

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com