Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Fit EV

I recently received an invitation to apply to lease a Fit EV in the "limited release" Honda is making available. I had put my name into a pool some months ago, and I guess I was randomly selected. I'm very curious about the offer and what you all might think of the vehicle: 2013 Honda Fit EV Overview - Official Site The monthly lease is $389 with roadside service and other things covered, as well as the install of a charging station at my home.

2013 Honda Fit EV Overview - Official Site

james

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Looks like a great car IMO. It sses a little different chemistry battery than the Leaf, and the same chemistry as the MiEV which is lithium titanate. It is supposed to handle higher charging rates better. This is why Mitsubishi claims you can fast charge the MiEV as much as you want and Nissan said you probably shouldn't make it a normal thing. That being said, I'd love to take one for a spin. As with most EVs though its out of my price range... for now.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
As with most EVs though its out of my price range... for now.
It does seem pricey. My current ride costs me nothing in payments and maybe an average of $50-100/month in parts. My insurance is about $400/year. This Fit EV claims about 120 MPGe, which is something a little less than double my mpg in this 1998 Civic. Does anyone think much more can be hypermiled out of the Fit EV?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Does anyone think much more can be hypermiled out of the Fit EV?
My first instinct is that you could absolutely hypermile more out of it, because estimates tend to vastly undershoot what the car is capable of. Look at my car, to be honest I don't even try that hard sometimes and I still have never had a tank (after my first) that is less than 7 MPG higher than the EPA for it.

Then again, it IS an electric vehicle, and I've noticed a tendency in big manufacturers to run awful close to what the vehicle is truly capable of in their estimates, probably to bolster consumer confidence/interest.

Hm, I guess I didn't really help you at all :P
I say go for it, for the novelty if nothing else. Let the Civic sit awhile, cancel insurance except for Comprehensive (so a break-in or something would still be covered) and put your money toward the Fit.
And then visit Oregon and let me drive it

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
And then visit Oregon and let me drive it

Studying some specs online... the floor mounted gear selector has a setting next to D for drive that is marked "B" for braking as in regenerative braking. It seems that they have put an added option of extra regen braking into the driver's hands. In "eco" mode, I could also use "B" for long coasts to lights and traffic lines and probably quite easily and painlessly extend my range and efficiency.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
You can definitely hypermile it, but you aren't going to see ANYWHERE near what you're getting now. Case in point, I've also hit 100%+ above EPA with my Paseo as you have with your Civic. But, the best I'm able to do with the Prius is ~25-30% above EPA. With an EV you have an even more inherently efficient vehicle, so there is less room for improvement. My guess is 15-25% is going to be difficult to achieve, but doable. I'd sure love a chance to give it a try.