Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2017, 05:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JockoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 654

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Thanks: 36
Thanked 131 Times in 96 Posts
Utilities to be charged "rent" for roadworks.

English councils are to be allowed to charge utility companies a daily rate for road works on busy roads. This is after a successful trial in London. Companies can be charged up to 2500 per day for digging up a busy road.
Trials in London reduced roadworks by 50%.
It will avoid the issue of cable digging up the road this week, gas next week, electricity the week after and telephones the week after that. This is what happens regularly here in the UK.
They will all do the job together, split their "rent", and reduce congestion.

Councils to be allowed to charge for road closures - BBC News

__________________
People Think They Are Thinking When They Are Merely Rearranging Their Prejudices


  Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JockoT For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (09-03-2017), Ecky (09-02-2017), Fat Charlie (09-11-2017), t vago (09-02-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 808 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
They will all do the job together, split their "rent", and reduce congestion.
You think? The skeptic in me says they'll go right on digging things up separately, and just pass on the increased cost to their customers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JockoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 654

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Thanks: 36
Thanked 131 Times in 96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
You think? The skeptic in me says they'll go right on digging things up separately, and just pass on the increased cost to their customers.
That's not what happened in the London trial. They would have passed the costs on to their customers, but the various utilities did work together, reducing the congestion.
__________________
People Think They Are Thinking When They Are Merely Rearranging Their Prejudices


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard
 
Daschicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 724

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 50.08 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 34.64 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 73.02 mpg (US)
Thanks: 573
Thanked 257 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
English councils are to be allowed to charge utility companies a daily rate for road works on busy roads. This is after a successful trial in London. Companies can be charged up to 2500 per day for digging up a busy road.
Trials in London reduced roadworks by 50%.
It will avoid the issue of cable digging up the road this week, gas next week, electricity the week after and telephones the week after that. This is what happens regularly here in the UK.
They will all do the job together, split their "rent", and reduce congestion.

Councils to be allowed to charge for road closures - BBC News
Sounds like a great idea! Now bring that here to the U.S., where you see "construction" everywhere, but no people around! When there are people around, there is ONE person working and 10+ people standing around watching. The problem is it is the government's own construction though.
__________________
-Kaze o tatakaimasen-

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in VFR: 62.5
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 17,547
Thanks: 4,737
Thanked 5,842 Times in 4,659 Posts
I thought this would be about getting the utilities to pony up for the wear and tear from electric trucks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ol' Skooler
 
jcp123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 1,166

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.51 mpg (US)
Thanks: 66
Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
Maybe they should be required to hand out 10 quid notes to drivers stuck in the traffic rather than paying the rent to the gub'ment.

__________________



'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - the better half's car
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com