Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Valles Marineris

I just finished an 8-page, 7-graphic, article: ' The Rio Grande Rift', by Scott Baldridge and Kenneth H. Olsen, The American Scientist, Volume 77, May- June, 1989, 43-references, 85-scientists, spanning researches from 1953-to- 1989.
The Rio Grande Rift originates in Colorado, an spans New Mexico, Texas, and into Northern Mexico, and is the largest rift zone in the United States, topologically dwarfing the Grand Canyon, if all alluvial sand, gravel, and rock removed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the references, one stood out: 'Convective thinning of the lithosphere: A mechanism for rifting and mid-plate volcanism on Earth, Venus, and Mars,' by T. Spohn and G. S. Schubert, Tectonophysics 94:67-90, 1983.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With respect to Valles Marineris, some of the geological mechanisms attributed to its creation are :
* early volcanism
* lithospheric stretching
* plate rupture
* overprinting
* extensional deformation
* grabens
* subduction
* lateral shear
* transform motion
* vertical faulting
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any mention of lightning being associated with creation of the feature is conspicuously absent.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
A persuasion expert like Scott Adams would say that a laundry list is weak, pick the best point and defend it.

Which would you pick?

Old 12-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Scott Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A persuasion expert like Scott Adams would say that a laundry list is weak, pick the best point and defend it.

Which would you pick?
I pick all of it, and all not mentioned.
If Scott Adams were acquainted with the scientific method, he'd just accept the information as information.
Anyone really interested in geology will read the 43-references, and all material published since 1989.
My 2005 book on geology doesn't offer any material which is in conflict with the 1989 material. It also addresses Mars and its rifts.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Quote:
Which would you pick?
I pick all of it, and all not mentioned.
So.... You can't defend any one point (like 'grabens') but find the lot taken as a whole is persuasive?

Quote:
If Scott Adams were acquainted with the scientific method, he'd just accept the information as information.
If you listened, you'd find that his chosen turf is 'persuasion', he goes right past the facts to the intent. OTOH He is kind of a jerk about some things. People suggested he listen to Dr. John Campbell, but he promotes someone else. [ Micheal Schellenberger ]

Old 12-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

defend

[QUOTE=freebeard;660799]So.... You can't defend any one point (like 'grabens') but find the lot taken as a whole is persuasive?

If you listened, you'd find that his chosen turf is 'persuasion', he goes right past the facts to the intent. OTOH He is kind of a jerk about some things. People suggested he listen to Dr. John Campbell, but he promotes someone else. [ Micheal Schellenberger ][/Q
The science is it's own defense. And it's complicated.
Maybe you didn't get the part about 8-pages, which required data from 43-separate sources, and the work of 85-individuals.
Am I to type out 8-pages for someone who I'll never receive a response from ?
No one arguing for canyons created by lightning ought be unacquainted with the items I listed. It's all undergraduate geology.

Perhaps science isn't for you.
I'll write for the lurkers.
skyking (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The science is it's own defense. And it's complicated.
The distinction between science and scientists is necessary. Scientists aren't monolithic.

What do you think of the work of Randall Carlson? As an example, in this talk, from 11:21 to 35:01, he discusses flooding in the SouthWestern USofA. I haven't found anything yet where he addresses the Grand Canyon.

Quote:
Am I to type out 8-pages for someone who I'll never receive a response from ?
I'll write for the lurkers.
Oh, you...

Old 12-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

grand canyon

Quote:
The distinction between science and scientists is necessary. Scientists aren't monolithic.

What do you think of the work of Randall Carlson? As an example, in this talk, from 11:21 to 35:01, he discusses flooding in the SouthWestern USofA. I haven't found anything yet where he addresses the Grand Canyon.

Oh, you...
We're talking hundreds of millions of years, where what we know today looked very different.
Sometimes water drained north.
Sometimes west.
Sometimes east
South.
The area encompassed now by the Colorado Plateau was ocean, seventeen different times before up-thrust as we see it today.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In the video I offered for your consideration he discusses Valles Calderia and the formation of Battleship Rock. I found it interesting; but then that's just me, apparently.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Caldera

Quote:
In the video I offered for your consideration he discusses Valles Calderia and the formation of Battleship Rock. I found it interesting; but then that's just me, apparently.
A flooded volcanic caldera which ruptured, sending a flood, with the capacity to move large boulders.
Valles Marineris is radially disposed upon the Tharsis Bulge, whom some believe was caused by magma intrusion.
The canyon, referred to by many as a rift, would be the artifact of a tectonic plate being stretched apart, as with the Rio Grande.
Adjacent to Valles Marinaris are extinct volcanoes, visible in some of the satellite images.
I got to thinking about Oilpan 4's comments about seismic activity on Mars.
Mars has the two moons, which exert tidal forces on the planet. Within 50-million years, Phobos will reach its Roche Limit, and either crash into Mars, or be torn apart, becoming a ring around Mars.
This 3-body tidal dynamic could trigger fault asperity rupture and quakes.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Once we explore the cavities inside Phobos, I'm sure it will be uplifted to preserve what is found.

So you watched Randall Carlson? Valles Caldera was just the closest thing I could find to the Grand Old Canyon. As much as anything, I'm reminded of Guelb Er Richat, aka the Richat Structure.

Valles Marineris is probably the most hospitable location on Mars. I know Angry Astronaut named a crater where the temperatures reach 20 degrees (C. or F.?), the atmospheric pressure is highest, and water is adjacent.

Reply  Post New Thread