Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Vandals, Cowards

I have a passion for Weather. When I got my HAM radio license a few years ago, that opened the door to track (not "chase") storms and severe weather, to report directly to the National Weather Service. Last summer, I experienced the tornado that hit the Boy Scout camp near Little Sioux, IA.

I made a rule not to go out at night, since funnel clouds are difficult to identify for the inexperienced. So the plan was to pick up a decent home weather center to report winds more precisely (this figure is important in issuing Severe Thunderstorm Warnings). Plus, it's a hobby that's fun. The plan was to hook it up to an online weather network.

The set is a wireless unit with wired capability. It wasn't working well wirelessly, so I temporarily set up a direct connection to the display inside. The installation was clean, with the exception of a barely visible wire into the back door.

Someone took offense. With the rain this morning not being reported on the display I went out to check if a wire came loose.

All of the wires were cut in multiple locations. What freaks me out is that someone was right outside my back door cutting wires, while we were inside. None of the meters or apparatus were touched -- just cut wires.

Stuff like this isn't cheap. I'd like to mount it on the roof or elevated high enough, but it's going to take a bit of repair first. It all has to come inside now, so I hope whoever did it is happy now. Little is sacred anymore...

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
that sucks. I looked into the online weather stuff for my pc, the cost was outrageous. My temps and NWS, and total rainfalls never ever, not once, match what they have written for bangor maine. They are always reading warmer. In fact, iof they got it correct, cold spot of the nation would be a bit more than they aren't admitting.

with cut wires, you can rerun and maybe conduit?

what do you use for weather station? I would be so satisfied to post -28F in my central bangor maine neghborhood to the web with integrity...
At -18F my 1781cc subaru rumbles my 3 story building...the pphyisics of beyond single digits in dead calm is absolutely freakin amazing...and noone gets it written apparently, like a blackout of thin oxygened brain.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
RH77 -

Are there HOA nutbags where you live?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Weird. Squirrels?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Weird. Squirrels?
Yeah, that too. RH77, did the cuts look like animal chewing? Maybe HOA squirrels?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Maybe it was a ninja Tornado?

But seriously, sorry to hear it. Somebody stole the axle nut and skewer off my bicycle once, and it made me feel like my property wasn't safe unless it was locked up inside four walls. Sucks.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Weird. Squirrels?
Squirrels with side-cut shears. All of the cuts were clean and at a similar angle. It's almost like a prank because the equipment was left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
With cut wires, you can rerun and maybe conduit? What do you use for weather station?
The best part of the system is that they use phone cord and jacks, so putting new line together is pretty simple. The problem is that it all feeds into the temp unit and then out to the display wireless, so each component can't transmit by itself. Each part had a bunch of cord that had to be hidden under stairs to the back door. That's what was cut.

It's a LaCrosse 1612 -- seemed to be a good value. Once I got it hooked up, the wireless feature was giving odd wind speeds of 80+ MPH, so I set up this temporary wired deal. It comes with software to log all the paramaters on a PC. The nicest stuff is made by Davis and runs over $1000 -- way out of my price range.

So now it sits in a pile in my closet.

With storm season nearly over, I'll focus on next year. I may mount the temp sensor in a hidden location to monitor winter temps. By Spring, I'll have it back out, but this time on the roof where you'd need to put in some serious effort to mess with stuff.

Talking with the neighbors, it was probably some kids. The Police stopped-by, but as we know, it's not worthy to solve. It just means ramped-up patrols. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

RH77

_
_
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Maybe HOA squirrels?
We know 2 people on the HOA board who live next to us -- they're cool about stuff like that and seem to like us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Maybe it was a ninja Tornado?
LOL! I knew someone would get me laughing in all this.

Quote:
But seriously, sorry to hear it. Somebody stole the axle nut and skewer off my bicycle once, and it made me feel like my property wasn't safe unless it was locked up inside four walls. Sucks.
But yeah, I'm convinced people do stuff to random people out of spite. Bum deal about the bike. It makes you worry about anything that isn't bolted down. I've always locked my car doors if I park in the driveway, or anywhere, for example. But vandalism is odd -- it's damage for spite. The "Why" in all of this will haunt me for a while.

RH77

_
_
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe set up a security camera next year?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Probably some kids with nothing better to do. They put the neighborhood bus stop in my yard, so during the school year I end up with dead birds and rabbits in my mailbox, big rocks and litter in my yard, messages scribbled on things saying so and so is a **** or whatever. I'm sure if I tried to do something about it, I'd end up with worse like cars broken into, wires cut, stuff stolen, so I just let it be.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Reply  Post New Thread