Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
RPM
EcoModding Lurker

JF - '97 Honda Civic 1.5i LS VTEC (EK3)
Team Honda
90 day: 59.68 mpg (US)
Very happy with 3.97 l/100 Km (59.25 MPG) record tank

I am very happy for dropping below the psychological 4 l/100 Km barrier for a full tank in my unmodified Honda car.

I used to get around 6 l/100 Km (40 MPG) on this 6.5 l/100 Km (36 MPG) rated car before I started hypermiling, so I guess I was doing pretty good even without any special technique.

Nevertheless, the improvement from using some of the more advanced hypermilling techniques was amazing. If, two years ago, someone came up to me and said my car would be good for 4 l/100 Km I wouldn't have believed them.

I used to shift into 4th at 37 MPH. Now I use 5th from 32 MPH without lugging too much! I also coast in neutral a lot and use EOC for some longer downhill sections and slow stoplights.

I do Pulse & Glide as long as there is a (very) slight downhill. I can't seem to make it work well on level ground---car slows down much too quickly on the sticky Goodyear F1 tyres.

However, these tires come into play when you consider my high speed cornering technique, which allows me to hold valuable kinetic energy through the hairpins and roundabouts so common around here--- in northern Portugal, even highways are but fast flowing mountain roads.

Only change on the car was the tire pressure, which went from 36/36 to 39/38 PSI front/back. More than that and handling starts to suffer---a show stopper for me.

I'd like to thank the whole hypermiling community for all the information and support! My positive experience has already gotten some of my acquaintances interested in hypermiling, so I do believe we are making a difference.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Good job!

Just don't tell anyone of our illicit behavior in using our cars TOO efficiently. Hypermilers have been marked for termination by the police. We were warned.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
i want that FE, i am trying to bump myself up to 35+ (pretty good for a truck)

Tags
driving techniques, honda civic, record