Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Okay, but I wasn't thinking about a rough underbody. Assume the underbody is as rough as the pavement.

There will be a gradient away from the underbody and the road, with some amount of turbulent mixing at the center. IIRC test show an optimal ride height [for a given design]. Normally assumed to be exposure of the tire faces?
Assume the boundary layer against the smooth car underside growing to, what, 30mm? I don't think that 'boundary layer' in this context makes sense for the ground (because the ground boundary layer might be a few metres thick, and the ambient air is ostensibly still ie not moving like the air past the car). That would seem to me to give about 70mm (typical car with 100mm ground clearance) of 'free air'.

But you do make a very interesting point. I've not seen, that I can think of, the velocity gradient plotted under the car on a vertical axis. Does anyone know of such data?

Quote:
Ablative extensions to the pitot tube?

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-06-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-06-2021, 03:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I watched a car run over a cat once. It bounced up and down twice. (and then got up and walked away)

One could attach a flexible forward-facing tube to a trailing skid to get close to the ground plane.

I'm no help otherwise.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
My disappointment was that the digram you showed and ask us to imagine 3D showed the flow over and under the car but it was all about side pressures.

There is a silent minority at Ecomodder who hold that the air is standing still and it's the vehicle that is moving.

Which is to my point. If you have contact with Dr. A. Gaylard ask him this: All talk about boundary layer references free air. The underbody is a plenum with four open sides and two [relatively] moving walls. I know that when testing motor oil (analogizing from engine theory, I know) what they use is two concentric cylinders with an oil film between. The shear forces can tear oil molecules apart.

So the condition in the underbody should be shear forces instead of boundary layer. Or, I'm wrong. Whichever.

I have an idea for easy 3D diagrams, maybe I can prepare an example.
Excellent points.

Regarding moving air Vs moving object, I've tried to discipline myself several times on this topic but continue to fall short. I can get half way there if I try, but only for short periods of time.

1. When imagining pressures at the front of the car I can successfully imagine the air being still and the car slamming into the air molecules.

2. When imagining drag pulling back on the moving body/car parasitic, vortexes, and low pressure described in opening post of this thread.

All other times I revert into thinking the air is moving, and my obsession with wind tunnel images with smoke doesn't help me there.

Regarding air pressures under the car, just use them so they aid handling at speed. Accept that it will be there, and manage it.

Car Aerodynamics Basics and How-To Design Tips cont…
https://www.buildyourownracecar.com/...-and-design/4/

Quote:
Diagram AD8. The Venturi tunnel shape increases the velocity of the mass of air flowing through it, lowering the pressure and generating downforce.
The pressure differentials at stern of moving vehicle result in unwanted turbulence and vortex formation.

I think information is out there, we just gotta remember where we have posted it before.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-06-2021), Piotrsko (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post

This video came about after I sent a request to several top car aerodynamicists (ones I'd came into contact with through working on my book) about the relationship between pressures measured on the side of the car, and the base (ie wake) pressure.

My measurements show that pressures at the rear edges of cars don't always match wake pressures (although the match seems pretty good on squareback shapes). So what actually is the connection between (say) side pressures and base pressures? If we understand that more clearly, we (as amateurs) can then develop approaches to reduce base pressure and so drag.

Dr Adrian Gaylard (Jaguar Land Rover) came back with an intriguing response that I'd never thought of before. He referenced Hoerner's classic book on aero drag, linked to a more modern paper and put that all in the context of his own understandings.

This video looks at that particular theory - I may later do others on what the other aerodynamicists told me.

My gut feeling is that this theory helps explain some aspects of base pressure - as all the aerodynamicists told me, there is a lot going on, and so one theory is unlikely to explain everything!

It does, however, make sense in the context of the measurements I have made in the last month on cars as diverse as a Skoda Roomster squareback, W212 Mercedes notchback, Gen I Honda Insight fastback and Tesla Model 3 fastback.
Hucho offered :
1) The pressure drag ( Dp ) = the integration of force components in the flow direction, resulting from the pressure distribution.
2) The pressure drag would include vortex drag and rearward suction.
3) The wake pressure would be impacted by local streamline pressures at the separation point ( line ) at top, sides, underbody, wheels, vortices, downwash, turbulence, and the geometry and surface angles at separation locations.
4) Notchback wakes would be the most challenging, as these cars have the most complex shapes.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

data?

Quote:
Assume the boundary layer against the smooth car underside growing to, what, 30mm? I don't think that 'boundary layer' in this context makes sense for the ground (because the ground boundary layer might be a few metres thick, and the ambient air is ostensibly still ie not moving like the air past the car). That would seem to me to give about 70mm (typical car with 100mm ground clearance) of 'free air'.

But you do make a very interesting point. I've not seen, that I can think of, the velocity gradient plotted under the car on a vertical axis. Does anyone know of such data?

I looked, and for the most part, it appears that the road surface is basically treated as if it has zero boundary layer, only the bottom of the vehicle, and then only if it has a smooth underside.
Wind tunnels will suction off any boundary layer reaching a test vehicle, or lift the vehicle up even with the top of it.
' lifting of the vehicle by the amount of the displacement thickness of the ground boundary layer ( in the wind tunnel ) has no effect upon the flow around the vehicle and the effective forces.' Hucho, page-412.

Last edited by aerohead; 01-08-2021 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 01:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
it appears that the road surface is basically treated as if it has zero boundary layer
Makes sense from the 'car moves, not the air' perspective.

The device I cited in #7 is called a en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheometer.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rheo

Quote:
Makes sense from the 'car moves, not the air' perspective.

The device I cited in #7 is called a en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheometer.
Seems an appropriate name.
GM's current 'magnetorheological' shock absorbers fit that nomenclature perfectly.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
1. When imagining pressures at the front of the car I can successfully imagine the air being still and the car slamming into the air molecules.
That's actually not a good way of thinking about it, because quite a few front-facing surfaces develop thrust (eg leading edge of bonnet/hood, top of windscreen). Instead it's much better to think of what speed the air is going at. The slower it is going, the higher the pressure; the faster it is going, the lower the pressure.

Quote:
2. When imagining drag pulling back on the moving body/car parasitic, vortexes, and low pressure described in opening post of this thread.
Yes, but don't forget that attached flow on the rear parts of the car can cause drag as well.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
I've not seen, that I can think of, the velocity gradient plotted under the car on a vertical axis. Does anyone know of such data?
Only these two schematics:

(Hucho, 4th ed.)

(Scibor-Rylski/Sykes, 2nd ed.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-08-2021), freebeard (01-06-2021), JulianEdgar (01-06-2021), kach22i (01-07-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread