Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Wow, 0.40? That's horrible, and it's multiplied by a very large frontal area. I bet were it not for macho truck buyers, Ford would build an F150 with a minivan-style, rounded front end, rear seats narrower and with less headroom than the front seats, a Prius-shaped tonneau cover, and a Cd of 0.30. Basically a giant Prius that can tow 5000 lbs and haul a few thousand pounds in the bed.
Narrow rear seats with less headroom? Sorry, no. Why have the back seats at all if they can't fit 3 full size adults across the width? Most people seeking the extra seat of a crew cab have a crew to put in them. Kids grow. Back seats need to accommodate full size adults in the full size pickup market because there really aren't any other options besides a closed off SUV or simply forgoing the passenger capacity altogether.

I don't buy for a second that anybody but little people are comfortable in the back of a Prius. Wasted seats IMO.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I ain't little but I rode in the back seat of a Prius once. IIRC it was comfortable.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
ALS
EcoModding Apprentice

Mythbusters did a piece on pickups and MPG with the tailgate.
Wait to you hear him call off the gallons per hour that beast is using at 55 mph. Definitely shows how minimal changes with the bed and tailgate can effect the fuel economy.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Narrow rear seats with less headroom? Sorry, no. Why have the back seats at all if they can't fit 3 full size adults across the width? Most people seeking the extra seat of a crew cab have a crew to put in them. Kids grow. Back seats need to accommodate full size adults in the full size pickup market because there really aren't any other options besides a closed off SUV or simply forgoing the passenger capacity altogether.

I don't buy for a second that anybody but little people are comfortable in the back of a Prius. Wasted seats IMO.
Back seats of the Prius are plenty big, i'm not sure where you are coming from.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

I'm 6'-4" and my brother is a little over 6'-6" and my son was 5'-2" -- and all three of us fit relatively comfortably in the back seat of a '05 Prius.

It is not a small backseat...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Alright, color me informed about the Prius now, (I still have my doubts) but my point about the back seats of pickups still stands in terms of many of those who seek the full accomodation of a crew cab.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post

This is exactly the kind of all-or-nothing thinking that results in people daily-driving pickup trucks in the first place. Because you're afraid you might someday come across a task your truck can't accomplish, you buy the biggest, tallest, fastest, thirstiest truck you can, and you just end up commuting in it anyway.

How bad would it be to have a front bench that seats three adults, and a rear bench that seats either two adults or three children?

But pickup truck should not be used to transport children. That's what cars are for.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
This is exactly the kind of all-or-nothing thinking that results in people daily-driving pickup trucks in the first place. Because you're afraid you might someday come across a task your truck can't accomplish, you buy the biggest, tallest, fastest, thirstiest truck you can, and you just end up commuting in it anyway.

How bad would it be to have a front bench that seats three adults, and a rear bench that seats either two adults or three children?

But pickup truck should not be used to transport children. That's what cars are for.
That's why I use the 1ton STANDARD cab to tow my 14000 trailer and haul people in the Saturn.
15mpg is not for hauling 200lb people around !!!
Drives me nuts when i see 1 person in business dress clothes in an empty full-size pick-up commuting.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
much truth to that, however . .

Quote:

That part is unrealistic for many. While we ended up selling our supercrew for the forementioned reasons, we had legitimate need for the number and size of the seating area. We weren't silly enough to forego the middle front seat either - which I believe is still available in the new F-150. (But we have obviously found the same number of seats in our Mazda 5.) The fact remains however, that the extra cost of a supercrew vs. a regular or extra cab in the same class and size pickup is miniscule in terms of economy - and neither of the latter would have worked for us at all without the extra expense of a third vehicle.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
ALS
EcoModding Apprentice

When I need a Pickup truck I call Enterprise Rent a car. $39.95 a day plus gas.

Reply  Post New Thread