Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master procastinator
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Panelia, Finland
Posts: 273

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
Thanks: 103
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hic View Post
The damage may be insignificant over the short term. It's like saying shutting off after a pulse doesn't hurt the turbo because my turbo is still fine.

I'm not sure how much the savings are.
Are you somehow offended because i mentioned the thing about the turbo earlier in the thread or what?
I can assure you i didn't mean to offend anyone.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Ecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,757

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 36.95 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,640
Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
X2. With my diesel Golf I only E-On coast (which I do a lot). With the key off you lose not only oil circulation to the turbo but also airbags, ABS, power steering and eventually brake boost, and it messes up my ScanGuage. In my experience you will not hurt your transmission from coasting briefly, even at higher speeds. Towing a car could conceivably be done over great distances and time, which may eventually do damage.
Sounds like you need an injector kill switch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hic
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iikhod View Post
Are you somehow offended because i mentioned the thing about the turbo earlier in the thread or what?
I can assure you i didn't mean to offend anyone.
I'm not sure where you got the offended part. I'm merely pointing out the inconsistency in your logic.

Anyways, let's keep this thread on topic - VW's claim that the gearbox may see damage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,731

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Thanks: 205
Thanked 416 Times in 299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hic View Post
The damage may be insignificant over the short term. It's like saying shutting off after a pulse doesn't hurt the turbo because my turbo is still fine.

I'm not sure how much the savings are.
The savings are insignificant in the face of possible damage. Engines usually idle around 0.25 gallons, roughly 1 liter, per hour. So if you spend 10 minutes coasting, the difference between on and off is 0.05 gallons or 0.1 liters.

The money difference is insignificant.
__________________




  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hic
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
The savings are insignificant in the face of possible damage. Engines usually idle around 0.25 gallons, roughly 1 liter, per hour. So if you spend 10 minutes coasting, the difference between on and off is 0.05 gallons or 0.1 liters.

The money difference is insignificant.
Hmm, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but I'm curious if this does indeed harm the gearbox, and how it does so. I am interested in the mechanical ongoings. Whether one should engine off coast is a separate issue that I don't want confused with the topic. Same with whether other components in the car may be damaged, or the risks of engine off coasting, these are off topic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
me and my metro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 529

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
Thanks: 249
Thanked 189 Times in 149 Posts
Some manual transmissions pump or circulate lube oil when driven by the engine. Some manual transmissions lube properly when driven by the road wheels. My Saturn has a F35 Getrag transmission and has no restrictions on flat tow speed or distance. Is there a distance restriction or strictly a speed restriction on your VW trans. It is a lack of lube issue.
__________________
02 Saturn L200 5 speed- 265k miles
84 Gmc 6.5 na diesel K30 4x4, TMU
2006 Lincoln Navigator, 215k miles
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hic
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me and my metro View Post
Some manual transmissions pump or circulate lube oil when driven by the engine. Some manual transmissions lube properly when driven by the road wheels. My Saturn has a F35 Getrag transmission and has no restrictions on flat tow speed or distance. Is there a distance restriction or strictly a speed restriction on your VW trans. It is a lack of lube issue.
That makes sense. The manual mentions a limit of both speed and distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hic
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180323_111507.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	23742  
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
me and my metro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 529

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
Thanks: 249
Thanked 189 Times in 149 Posts
I see that you understand what VW is saying. You are fine doing what you are doing, unless you can glide 50 miles at a time. LOL
__________________
02 Saturn L200 5 speed- 265k miles
84 Gmc 6.5 na diesel K30 4x4, TMU
2006 Lincoln Navigator, 215k miles
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,300

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 315
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
I agree, it looks like a long-term type of issue. Short periods of EOC should be fine.

__________________
I'm not coasting, I'm shifting slowly.
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com