Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Diesels do better when warmed up because they run on heat unlike the spark in a gas engine.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownb310 View Post
That's the first time I've heard that. Are you saying that diesels don't return good economy in short trips? Even in the summer?
Correct, when they are cold you advance the timing and that is hard on the engine, also because the engine is cold it's not burning all the fuel because it's relying on heat to ignite that fuel, leading to poor fuel mileage.
You also have glow plugs that are pretty much good for a set number of starts before they burn out and have to be replaced, the starter is also rather large leading to a large battery that needs to be fully charged or it will shorten it's life as well, this happens best by letting it run.
They also have 22:1 compression or higher, leading to fuel in the oil unless it's cooked out by warming the engine up fully, because of that high compression you tend to have a heavy engine block that takes longer to heat up.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Civic Duty View Post
if you don't do mostly highway driving (10+ miles every time you start the car) then don't bother buying a diesel.
Best advice yet!
Dave[/QUOTE]

I drove a rabbit diesel all through a winter... the most beaten car still legal I have ever run. it started and started and started...even below zero.

bent hood, both bumpers mangled, dented all over, the drivers door was never shut, even when shut..the body was no doubt twisted. decrepid, car leaned, hood was twisted with a dog chain through it, no grille, thumped every wheel out of balance over 55, and rumbled every part not welded at an idle..

a bigger chassis, I'd do it. I just potted the comment on the passat wagon. good candidate for a little torquer.

I did drive a jetta diesel, but ya know, the box of the rabbit seemed tougher, even after all the pansiness mentioned. the jetta was like a rubber balloon.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here in Phoenix it's getting to be 80-90*F out and my 'blue coolant' light that goes out at 160*F to resume normal driving goes out in about two blocks from a 'cold start'.
I agree about not taking short trips unless it's already warmed up from another trip.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownb310 View Post
That's the first time I've heard that. Are you saying that diesels don't return good economy in short trips? Even in the summer?
I live in Quebec and my comute to work is 5 miles. Sure diesels suffer in the winter, just like any other car.

I've had a 90 Golf D, a 91 Jetta TD, a 99 TDI and now a 00 TDI. Each got over 250k miles problem free, but rust got the best of them.

97-2003 TDI engines have the best fuel economy, versus previous IDI designs and subsequent Pump Deuse and common rail systems. The recent CR engines run at 16.5 compression ratio. There's no way fuel can get in the oil in a TDI, as it is injected in a bowl in the piston, but anyway.

They are cheap cars to run if you drive a lot and can find a car that was properly maintainned, otherwise repairs are gonna be costly. TDIs can take a lot of abuse, but no neglect.

I recommend heading over to tdiclub.com too.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
There's no way fuel can get in the oil in a TDI, as it is injected in a bowl in the piston, but anyway.
This design is prevelant in all modern diesels, yet used oil analysis says otherwise.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
I should have written in a properly working TDI. Off course if your injection timing is out of whack, if your nozzles are worn affecting spray pattern or your pop pressure is also wrong and your rings are worn too. I've just never heard of fuel in oil being a problem in TDI engines, nor it being the norm.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
I live in Quebec and my comute to work is 5 miles. Sure diesels suffer in the winter, just like any other car.

I've had a 90 Golf D, a 91 Jetta TD, a 99 TDI and now a 00 TDI. Each got over 250k miles problem free, but rust got the best of them.

97-2003 TDI engines have the best fuel economy, versus previous IDI designs and subsequent Pump Deuse and common rail systems. The recent CR engines run at 16.5 compression ratio. There's no way fuel can get in the oil in a TDI, as it is injected in a bowl in the piston, but anyway.

They are cheap cars to run if you drive a lot and can find a car that was properly maintainned, otherwise repairs are gonna be costly. TDIs can take a lot of abuse, but no neglect.

I recommend heading over to tdiclub.com too.
I thought in Canada, you guys have a special way that everyone rustproofs/undercoats you cars. It's done or checked once a year!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Krown? I've heard that stuff is the bomb at keeping cars new.

Down here in the States, Fluid Film works very well, too.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Its to bad 'Ryland' and 'Dave's Civic Duty' dont appear to have any experince with vw diesel's, judging by there posts. Power and fuel economy in one package, i would find a Tdi and enjoy countless miles of fuel sipping bliss no extreme mods necessary and a motor that will go 500 000 plus. Even if you drive low kms its still worth it, plus its got some nice torque which most imports lack.

Reply  Post New Thread