Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Put simply VW diesels for the main part offer great FE

-Pre-97 IDI engines aren't the best FE wise but have a typical german, simple, over engineered feel and have 'falling off a wet log' level of ease to work on.

-97-2006 PDs simple Rock. period, especially the european 150bhp 1.9 golf gt-tdi it changed so many peoples view of diesels here in the uk, when it was released it was the fastest Golf you could buy - yep faster that the 150 1.8t! especially if you showed it a back road! YET they still had a top cog that would allow conformtable 50+mpg cruising without trying.

-later CRs and CR(DPFs) are just the next step, less stressed, more tech, just as bomb proof.

- As stated earlier, they take Huge amounts of mileage and abuse - just don't neglect them.

the whole cold start thing I think is a bit misleading. I mean I do A lot of Urban and short runs in my diesel Polo, and get 50 out of it, but my 1.4 petrol polo thet had Multipont injection , WAI and all manor of other cool stuff as standard could only manage creaping into the 40s, just, once. The diesel takes the same time to get warm as my petrol did. Not to mention if do short runs from cold in a petrol, you'll be on choke effectively as the ECU will ramp the mixture just like a diesel. Also you'll also get hotspotted in a petrol engine on shorts whereas the diesels 'slower' warm up is a more consitent (wish I could find that IR video of the start up of Gas and Diesel cars)

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
Krown? I've heard that stuff is the bomb at keeping cars new.

Down here in the States, Fluid Film works very well, too.
What's Fluid Film?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysharp View Post
Its to bad 'Ryland' and 'Dave's Civic Duty' dont appear to have any experince with vw diesel's, judging by there posts. Power and fuel economy in one package, i would find a Tdi and enjoy countless miles of fuel sipping bliss no extreme mods necessary and a motor that will go 500 000 plus. Even if you drive low kms its still worth it, plus its got some nice torque which most imports lack.
It's not for lack of want-to. I've have a while with Truck payments on my Dodge Diesel. I will have a TDI. I'm going to have to run my Corolla to 300,000 miles first, getting there, 241K at the moment. That will be when my payments will be over. I'm going to have to give it an oil bath this fall if I'm going to make it though! (Toyota) Dodge is doing great, it was Ziebarted, plus I climb under it & give it touch-ups!

I practically drool over every TDI I see parked, in fact I'm disappointed when I get around to the back of a VW & see no TDI nameplate. I just think, uninformed!

Dave

Dave
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ha! NICE!!!

I practically drool over every TDI I see parked, in fact I'm disappointed when I get around to the back of a VW & see no TDI nameplate. I just think, uninformed!

Dave
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cool Jay!

Reply  Post New Thread