Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
83gs1100g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: snow hill, md
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
vx vtec-e experts?

so who is the vtec-e experts out there? i ask this cause i think the description is wrong in wiki. i was sure the vx works in 16v mode all the time until you go in lean burn then goes to 12v mode. can anyone confirm this? i think what someone put in wiki is mixing up the 3 stage vtec mode that it runs in 12v mode all the time below 2750 rpms.


Last edited by 83gs1100g; 06-17-2014 at 05:41 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
83gs1100g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: snow hill, md
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
oh come on? really? all the techies out here and no one know how the vx vtec-e valve train works?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,092

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83gs1100g View Post
oh come on? really? all the techies out here and no one know how the vx vtec-e valve train works?
Be patient man. It's a week day. People are often at jobs, even in this economy. It has only just gone 5pm on the east coast. It's 210pm in Cali.

I hope somebody comes along with more info. Though I think xntrx and Old Mech were pretty "expert" in their responses in your other thread on this.

Wait a bit.
__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
83gs1100g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: snow hill, md
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Be patient man. It's a week day. People are often at jobs, even in this economy. It has only just gone 5pm on the east coast. It's 210pm in Cali.

I hope somebody comes along with more info. Though I think xntrx and Old Mech were pretty "expert" in their responses in your other thread on this.

Wait a bit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
cbaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 540

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 190 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83gs1100g View Post
so who is the vtec-e experts out there? i ask this cause i think the description is wrong in wiki. i was sure the vx works in 16v mode all the time until you go in lean burn then goes to 12v mode. can anyone confirm this? i think what someone put in wiki is mixing up the 3 stage vtec mode that it runs in 12v mode all the time below 2750 rpms.
VTEC-E has 2 modes, non-VTEC and VTEC. When the VTEC solenoid is not engaged (non-VTEC) the motor operates in 12v mode. In the 2000-3000 RPM range the VTEC solenoid will engage, switching the cam profile which activates the other cam (16v mode). By default the engine runs in 12v mode until conditions are met to activate the VTEC solenoid.

This technology, while not called VTEC-E anymore, is found in most modern Honda engines including the D17's from the 01-05 Civic EX/HX/Si. As well as the modern R18 Civic engines, Fit engines, etc. The 12v operation reduces pumping losses increasing efficiency at lower RPMs. Although they run 12v mode, lean burn has been absent except for in the IMA hybrid systems. I believe the 01-05 Civic EX/HX were the last non-hybrids to have lean burn.
__________________
1998 Honda Civic HX - My Project Thread

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!
 
vrmouseyd15b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: quad cities illinois/iowa border
Posts: 520

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Thanks: 185
Thanked 177 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83gs1100g View Post
oh come on? really? all the techies out here and no one know how the vx vtec-e valve train works?
Started a new thread? what block, head, and ECU are you "running" now?

is this your car?



that's not vtec. LOL.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
83gs1100g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: snow hill, md
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
bone stock. 92 civic vx.

Last edited by 83gs1100g; 06-18-2014 at 01:48 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
83gs1100g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: snow hill, md
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
VTEC-E has 2 modes, non-VTEC and VTEC. When the VTEC solenoid is not engaged (non-VTEC) the motor operates in 12v mode. In the 2000-3000 RPM range the VTEC solenoid will engage, switching the cam profile which activates the other cam (16v mode). By default the engine runs in 12v mode until conditions are met to activate the VTEC solenoid.

This technology, while not called VTEC-E anymore, is found in most modern Honda engines including the D17's from the 01-05 Civic EX/HX/Si. As well as the modern R18 Civic engines, Fit engines, etc. The 12v operation reduces pumping losses increasing efficiency at lower RPMs. Although they run 12v mode, lean burn has been absent except for in the IMA hybrid systems. I believe the 01-05 Civic EX/HX were the last non-hybrids to have lean burn.
while i agree with most of what you are saying.... are you say that the vx vtec-e operates the same as the hx vtec-e? because if you are then theres where the debate is. they can't be the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
83gs1100g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: snow hill, md
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
VTEC-E has 2 modes, non-VTEC and VTEC. When the VTEC solenoid is not engaged (non-VTEC) the motor operates in 12v mode. In the 2000-3000 RPM range the VTEC solenoid will engage, switching the cam profile which activates the other cam (16v mode). By default the engine runs in 12v mode until conditions are met to activate the VTEC solenoid.

This technology, while not called VTEC-E anymore, is found in most modern Honda engines including the D17's from the 01-05 Civic EX/HX/Si. As well as the modern R18 Civic engines, Fit engines, etc. The 12v operation reduces pumping losses increasing efficiency at lower RPMs. Although they run 12v mode, lean burn has been absent except for in the IMA hybrid systems. I believe the 01-05 Civic EX/HX were the last non-hybrids to have lean burn.
when does the vx get its great mpg's? in what mode? i get 55 mpg in my stock 92 vx so how must i drive it to achieve that? in what mode? vtec? non-vtec? 16v? 12v?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
83gs1100g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: snow hill, md
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
hey guys thanks for the help!

dont quite on me now! please respond!

maybe i was thinking this wrong after all maybe not? please bear with me on this.

is vx and hx operate the exact same? from idle to what ever rpm its in 12v mode?(i understand when it hits crossover rpm and goes to 16v mode)

so what happens to a vx if its already in 12v mode and it goes into lean burn? i thought that was what it did when going into lean burn?

so does the hx go into lean burn like the vx?

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com