Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagonvan or civic hatchback

Hi new to forum. This is some great stuff! I've been researching some stock older hondas to to work with. I've been looking at the subtle mpg difference listed for a 1988 Honda Wagonvan or shuttle and a 1988 hatchback. The extra space in the Wagon would be nice if its only a mpg or so difference. Both are 5 speeds. Seems hard to believe since the Wagon is that much heavier.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Go for the wagon. Besides me being biased by the fact that Civic wagons are pretty much my favorite eco-car, all the extra space is great to have when you need it. You sit up higher in the wagon, and have great visibility in them. The lifetime average MPG of my '88 Wagon was actually 2 MPG higher than my current '90 hatchback, so far anyway.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you for that confirmation. Isnt that great. Something in the aerodynamics or was your wagon tuned differently? Is there a thread on 3rd gen honda wagons?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The 4 speed hatchback is going to get the best mileage from 1988 (35mpg), the 4 wheel drive wago van is going to get the worst (23mpg) and the regular wagovan is going to get around 29mpg, all EPA numbers.
With the rear seat folded down, the regular hatchback can hold a lot of cargo, so it really depends on what your needs are for hauling stuff.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The 4 speed hatchback is going to get the best mileage from 1988 (35mpg), the 4 wheel drive wago van is going to get the worst (23mpg) and the regular wagovan is going to get around 29mpg, all EPA numbers.
With the rear seat folded down, the regular hatchback can hold a lot of cargo, so it really depends on what your needs are for hauling stuff.
Thanks Ryland,
I wont be getting the 4x4. So many different numbers depending on where you look. Where is a good place to find solid numbers? I was kinda doing an average account of numbers between listings and actually current numbers from fuelly.com
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailermaker View Post
Thanks Ryland,
I wont be getting the 4x4. So many different numbers depending on where you look. Where is a good place to find solid numbers? I was kinda doing an average account of numbers between listings and actually current numbers from fuelly.com
Use the EPA numbers, same test conditions.
Compare Cars Side-by-Side
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
trailermaker (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailermaker View Post
Is there a thread on 3rd gen honda wagons?
I wish!

Gasoline Fumes has what I think is the highest MPG Civic wagon on the site if you want to see what he has done with it.

Details: Nut Wagon - 1991 Honda Civic Wagon DX Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com

As for the EPA results etc, you have to remember they are just a guideline, and that these cars are 25 years old now. The hatch and wagon had a few MPG difference - when they were new. Now, 25 years later, who knows, there are so many variables like the last quarter century's worth of maintenance, what has or has not been replaced, current mechanical condition, etc etc. Especially when you are talking about two different, specific cars. You could say on average the hatch should get better FE, but you have 2 specific cars to choose from, so IMO condition would tell you more about which to go with. Maybe one has a wrecking yard motor in it with mystery miles on it, maybe one has an Si transmission in it, who knows? When they were new the difference in FE wasn't much, so I'd say pick the one you think is in better condition. The more original and not messed with it looks, the better. And if they are equal, pick the wagon ha ha
MetroMPG (12-10-2013), trailermaker (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the link. Nice to see what is achievable.

Reply  Post New Thread