Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The fun thing about streamlining is that,if we do our work correctly,there will be no drafting possible,as a following vehicle would feel the full effect of the air behind our vehicles.
For cars I absolutely agree. Not pickups though. They start with a big flat tailgate for loading 4x8 sheets of drywall or plywood. That alone places a practical limit on how perfect the rear can be tapered. We can minimize the draft zone but not eliminate it. And I'm glad we're working together now, Aerohead.

For the aero cap projects I've read here so far their draft zone may already be reduced to a few car lengths. (Hence, the desire to measure it.)

On the highway drafting might not be a big problem for aero cappers. I'm going in a different direction though as my handle might suggest. Bondo's cap is the best I've seen. Not just because it's purdy. It is wicked useful. (Hence, having a truck in the first place.) His camper model can have a comfortable bed, but headroom is low, and not much space for gear.

I reject the industry standard slide in camper. The sleekest, lightest ones available today are still way too heavy and boxy. I'm motivated to do better if only to show how. I don't expect to build it this year. Design and analysis takes time, especially when it's not your day job and other life responsibilities call. Meanwhile, my Scamp 5th wheel is hard to beat.

Cheers
KB

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
His camper model can have a comfortable bed, but headroom is low, and not much space for gear.
Why not the ultimate lightweight "camper", AKA a tent? Otherwise you've got a lot of conflicting requirements: headroom (and legroom for us taller folks with normal pickups (that is, standard Toyota size rather than American oversized), weight, insulation (a metal pickup bed is about the coldest possible place to sleep), aerodynamics...

Make a solid aeroshell, and your gear stays secure while you pop up the tent for sleeping.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Why not the ultimate lightweight "camper", AKA a tent? Otherwise you've got a lot of conflicting requirements: headroom (and legroom for us taller folks with normal pickups (that is, standard Toyota size rather than American oversized), weight, insulation (a metal pickup bed is about the coldest possible place to sleep), aerodynamics...

Make a solid aeroshell, and your gear stays secure while you pop up the tent for sleeping.
Couple of sticks and a tarp, really. Make a lean-to on the pickup.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

(bristle) Why stop with a tent? Sleep in motels. Trade the truck for a Prius, or bicycle. Just stay home for that matter. It's a slippery slope that risks more to do with lifestyle preferences. I promise to start a truck camper project thread, eventually. Folks can bash it (or the personal decisions behind it if they really feel they must) at that point. Meanwhile, it seems this discussion needs some course correction.

Bondo's link to the '03 NPS thesis was a wonderful contribution to this thread. If you know of other literature, ideally R&D work, that sheds more light on the wake field of pickups, please share it.

Thank you, everyone!
KB
Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Glad you enjoyed the thesis KB.

Captain Williams put alot of work into it. Years ago I always thought it was optimization of frontal surfaces which allow for a low Cd. I was way off base, it is what you leave behind as you pass through the atmosphere that matters.

The Aerolid was designed with functionality in mind. The fact that it deploys into a camper shell configuration (and can be driven at freeway speeds raised up) and that the roof can easily be removed, allows for extra utility of the truck bed. Below are a couple of pictures (you have probably seen before).

You said in an earlier post you are an Engineer. Good for you. We need more Engineers in this country today.

You also stated you drive a Tundra. I am looking to tool up for a Tundra. If I can be of any help in anyway on your upcoming project let me know.

Bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010676.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	5559   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010663.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	5560   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010494.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	5561  

Last edited by bondo; 02-07-2010 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-14-2011)
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Gen II Prianista

Bondo,

Every time I see pictures of your cap -- Sa-weet! --, I consider selling my
Prius and getting a pickup so I could get one.

I know your heavily involved in marketing/production issues.

Still, have you considered doing rear wheel skirts and a deep front air dam
and being able to offer a full aero package similar to Aeroheads pickup?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have a scale model already done.

Thanks Rokeby for the compliments. I wish I was dealing with production and marketing issues. My story is like a stuck record, capital, capital, capital. I had hoped one of my Senators was going to help get me a tax credit for the Aerolid. After some encouraging first communications, now I get no response from them at all. I need to go ahead and make that campaign contribution.

I have a scale model finished with side skirts, rear wheel close outs but no front air dam. The late model trucks are getting real good in that area and a low hanging front air dam can be a real drag. I would like to market a full aero package like you suggest.

I too get tired of reporting the same thing on the status of the Aerolid. I do appreciate all the interest here on ecomodder and my hats off to all those who step on out there and build their own aerocaps.

When I feel like stop beating my head against the wall, I remember those word's Winston Churchill spoke to the English people when they were being heavily bombed by the German air force in the early years of WWII.

" Never, never, never Give up!".

Bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0392_resized.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	5562  
The Following User Says Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-14-2011)
Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Captain Williams put alot of work into it. Years ago I always thought it was optimization of frontal surfaces which allow for a low Cd. I was way off base, it is what you leave behind as you pass through the atmosphere that matters.
Indeed!

Quote:
The Aerolid was designed with functionality in mind. The fact that it deploys into a camper shell configuration (and can be driven at freeway speeds raised up) and that the roof can easily be removed, allows for extra utility of the truck bed. Below are a couple of pictures (you have probably seen before).
I have seen those pix but thanks for sharing them again. You have great ideas and first class execution. For some it may be the perfect solution. My needs are just different, which I trust is okay. My eventual designs will certainly be less aerodynamic than yours. Interior space and layout is a priority since so much time will be spent inside the unit. The aero challenge is how to minimize its wake. Weight reduction will just be a bonus. The current offerings in the slide-in market leave a lot of room for improvement.

Quote:
You said in an earlier post you are an Engineer. Good for you. We need more Engineers in this country today.
Hopefully, using my engineering skills and sharing knowledge will benefit others too. If not, I fail a pledge.

Quote:
You also stated you drive a Tundra. I am looking to tool up for a Tundra. If I can be of any help in anyway on your upcoming project let me know.
I don't know how your demographic data looks but my Tundra is Gen-1 with extended cab (suicide doors) and short box (6.5' long). It may be the most popular body for that era but the Gen-2 models are very different as you probably know. If you think it a target market and need some key dimensions, let me know.

This raises a good point. There can be so many differences between pickups. As a result what works best to optimize one (allowing for different design goals) may be a weak solution for another. I'm interested in doing CFD so geometry will be needed. It would be great if we had an open library of solid models for various pickups. I know they can be purchased (and I am morally opposed to stealing so please don't go there) but we might be able to develop our own. They don't have to be perfect; just good enough. Google Sketchup is free, friendly and powerful so maybe sketchup drawings could do the trick. Other suggestions welcome.

Cheers
KB
Old 02-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
FWIW, I camped for a summer in an '81 Toyota Celica Liftback, whose hatch is roughly analogous to a small aerocap. I set out with a nice Coroplast rig to enclose the back section for camping with the hatch open, so I could sit in bug-free splendour and enjoy a picture window. Overall, I found the biggest improvement over bicycle camping was the ability to camp on gravel or mud.
By the second month, I'd quit using the extension, and made the interior arrangements more compact. I'm following that trend in Stealth RV. One of the tidiest spaces I've ever seen was inside a 19' sailboat, Tiny Dancer, on her way around the world.
A place to stand up is the only real luxury increment in these things - I'd be inclined to have a swing-up cap to allow that, while travelling as an aerocap.
BTW, an inflatable tail cone can be added to the tailgate - a big, bluff stern is not mandated. A lot of wake reduction might be managed with underbody tunnels, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-14-2011)
Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
(bristle) Why stop with a tent? Sleep in motels.
Not a whole lot of motels to be found around here Toquima Range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or here Toiyabe Range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or here Santa Rosa Range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or even here Black Rock Desert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply  Post New Thread