Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
1% give the other 99% a bad name(paraphrasing the origional quote)

I would have to say, for the most part, no we(eccomodders) aren't. If we were the 1% who blatently endangered others in the name of a longer glide or better line or who have no regard for anyone else on the roads ( that we all share), or who make modifications that make our cars catch fire, blow up, or loose control and crash into a busy restaurant, than yes we would be.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
1 in 1000 ?
Even that is probably an over-estimation !

Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
As a motorcyclest I am a 3%-er. As a ecomodding motorcyclest I must be a 0.003%-er. So as a car ecomodder I feel like I'm in a craud, amung the 1%-ers .
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I think i'm the only person in Ireland doing this. And i'm a very light ecomodder by ecomodders standards! If i went out with a boattail i don't know what would happen. I might end up on the news and then have my insurance cancelled!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
I think i'm the only person in Ireland doing this. And i'm a very light ecomodder by ecomodders standards! If i went out with a boattail i don't know what would happen. I might end up on the news and then have my insurance cancelled!
You'd get voted off the island

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
1 in 1000 ?
Even that is probably an over-estimation !
Oh! Are we up to 1 in 1000 already?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
In Europe and elsewhere of course, fuel is much more expensive than here in the USA. Stock OEM vehicles there are much better for our Eco-driving needs.

A regular Joe in Europe drives his econo-diesel in normalcy!! He/she is like an OEM civilian compared to us Eco-modders.

Your thoughts; please????????
I know what you're saying about economy and compact cars being more prevalent in Europe. However, many people this side of the pond don't understand that their measurements regarding fuel economy are different than ours. They use an Imperial Gallon instead of a US gallon, which is actually 20% more fuel. This should help explain why a TDI golf in Germany is capable of getting mileage in the 70s straight from the factory.

While the automobiles in European countries ARE particularly good on fuel, diesel or otherwise, the fact that their "gallons" are 20% larger than ours sheds a lot of light on the subject.

This also can help us to understand margins concerning the price of their fuels as well.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeetle View Post
I know what you're saying about economy and compact cars being more prevalent in Europe. However, many people this side of the pond don't understand that their measurements regarding fuel economy are different than ours. They use an Imperial Gallon instead of a US gallon, which is actually 20% more fuel.
Uhmm... No?

How about L/100km? That's liters consumed per 100km travelled. I ought to know - I've lived there for 3.5 years.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeetle View Post
I know what you're saying about economy and compact cars being more prevalent in Europe. However, many people this side of the pond don't understand that their measurements regarding fuel economy are different than ours. They use an Imperial Gallon instead of a US gallon, which is actually 20% more fuel. This should help explain why a TDI golf in Germany is capable of getting mileage in the 70s straight from the factory.

While the automobiles in European countries ARE particularly good on fuel, diesel or otherwise, the fact that their "gallons" are 20% larger than ours sheds a lot of light on the subject.

This also can help us to understand margins concerning the price of their fuels as well.
Imperial gallons (~20% more than US gal) are used only in UK, Ireland, sometimes Canada. The whole Continent uses liters per 100km as t_vago noted.

Half of Europe's vehicles run on diesel fuel, which makes their engines ~15-20% more efficient than gassers.

Yes, cars in Europe are smaller than in North America, on average, but they are catching up quite fast, both in the weight and in the CdA departments

And then there the numbers, FE numbers. A car that is rated at 6 l/100km in the European ECE standard doesn't mean that the same car would get 39 mpg according to the US's EPA. EPA's rating is much easier to beat than the ECE - notice that there are more North American ecomodders with >40% over EPA than from the east side of the pond. Well, Groar is a worthy exeption

When you factor in all of the above, then you'll notice that any differences between the amount of fuel used by European and American cars aren't that large and can be made up for by changes in driving style.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Half of Europe's vehicles run on diesel fuel, which makes their engines ~15-20% more efficient than gassers.
I wonder if the ECE has less stringent emissions standards that the EPA or individual states' regulatory policies. I would be surprised if that were not the case, because U.S consumers could really benefit from the low end torque and FE that diesels offer versus comparably sized gas engines. Makes me wonder what else may be preventing the use of diesel here.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
I wonder if the ECE has less stringent emissions standards that the EPA or individual states' regulatory policies. I would be surprised if that were not the case, because U.S consumers could really benefit from the low end torque and FE that diesels offer versus comparably sized gas engines. Makes me wonder what else may be preventing the use of diesel here.
Their emission standards are as strict if not stricter than ours.

And the answer to the last question is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It's been discussed, but if you were to use the cars and trucks that get the big mpg here, a few, ahem, "special interests" will lose a lot of money since the overall consumption of out fleet will drop dramatically.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Reply  Post New Thread