Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tartaruga - '09 Fiat Palio
Last 3: 23.7 mpg (US)
What can/will/should I do? Pics @ page 2

Hi everybody,
I'm registered here for months but just now I got my own car and I plan modding it.
Its a 2009/10 Fiat Palio Flex(ethanol/gasoline). Just like this one but mine is beige:

Since its my first car and I don't have money to buy another if I ruin this one, I can't do big/permanent mods.
The fog lights are not at all aerodynamic, i'm thing of putting a transparent adhesive over both so that they still work but i don't have to drill anything. I'm going to use contact paper, is there any problem?
If the contact works great I plan on putting them onto the wheels, since they are adhesive its easier to put there. Is there anyreason i should not put contact paper?
I know its weak an not completely transparent, but if it works, that's ok.

Thanks, bye!

Last edited by Junimrox; 04-16-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Hi Junimrox
Welcome to ecomodder!
I'm concerned that contact paper would leave a residue, and/or become baked on in the sun.
I've used "painter's tape" for temporary mods. It's a masking tape that has less adhesive that won't leave a residue. It's usually blue or green in color. It comes in various widths like regular masking tape. Even then, I would suggest replacing it every month or so, as I can't promise that sunlight won't cause it to adhere too much to the finish of your new car. You could use it to attach some discs of thin plexiglass over your fogs.
Alternatively, you could use a couple dabs of silicone sealant to hold the plexi on. Just make sure the silicone will peel off without damage. Like the chemical cleaner labels say; "test in an inconspicuous spot for color-fastness".

I bet you could block that upper grille without causing any cooling problems. But I would suggest getting a Scangauge first, so you can accurately monitor coolant temps.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Junimrox -

Welcome to EM! Verrrry nice Fiat. Looks like it has a Fiat Bravo nose. Like Tango Charlie says, try an upper grill block behind the front grill. This will work unless the temps in Rio are too high, or you get stuck in traffic a lot. Grill blocks are almost 100% reversible.

Have you been driving long enough to have a "normal driving" MPG for your car? If I had a new car, I would do normal driving for a month, eco driving for the next month, and then a "mod a month" (or per week, I get impatient) to see how things improve. This way you will get to know your car, the car will get closer to the end of warranty, and you will have a better idea of what is working for your car.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi & welcome,

The rear spoiler looks like it sticks up above the plane of the roof -- does it?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
I've used painters tape on my car and had awful results trying to remove it. Once it gets wet and then sun baked, it will be extremely difficult to remove. We had to scrape it off and shoot it at close range with a professional power washer to get it off.

I have had the best results with white duct tape. Not sure why, but it doesn't leave a residue like I've had other duct tapes do.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi, thanks for the advices!
I will test a small square of contact(1"x1") in an hidden area and see what happens. Also will try the silicone sealant. I will test the tapes after these tests because I would have to buy it, so lets try what is already available first.
I have some plexi here that i could use. Its thin but I thing I would have to curve it first then glue, because the fogs are "very curved", the glue is unable to handle the plexi without molding.

The grill block is a very dangerous mod, since the temperatures here reach 40şC(104F) in hot days. And I get stuck on traffic almost everyday.

The rear spoiler:
It sticks a bit up the roof. I don't know if its there for beauty or for a pseudo-kammback or downforce. It came with the car and unless it makes big difference i'm not willign to take it out since ther will be holes uncovered and it might get rusty. There are side skirts too, i've payd a bit more for the kit with wheels and skirts. I like the wheels but i don't mind the skirsts... would it be good to take them off? if not for the aero, for the weight?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I started doing some tests, glued a piece of contact and a drop of silicone. Lets see if they will leave residues. I will try to take pictures of my car, i still don't have any.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aston Martin found in the 70's that something like 5% of cooling was done by the upper grille, so they deleted it leaving a blank black panel for styling.
Recently here there were 3 days in a row over 45 degrees C, no problem with my upper grille block.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok, you convinced me. I will try to do it with transparent plexi. I have a thermometer, if things get too hot i just stop the car and take it out... =D
I'll be modding from this thursday to sunday and I will post the results
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The side skirts might be aero friendly. Its hard to say. Do they look like the ones in the above photo or different?

Less ground clearance overall(lower bumper and side skirts) creates a slight vacuum under the car which decreases drag on the underside of the car.

The ones above look kind of aero friendly but it's almost impossible to say with something that size that is not mounted on the front or rear of the car.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
adhesive, fiat, palio, wrap