Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
You probably want to rent a garage to assemble your car in. You may want to retain it, or find just a rented parking spot as close as possible to your apartment with power access. Look at all possibilities and talk to people until you winnow out some sympathetic, helpful ones. You might trade for occasional elderly transport, and/or snow removal guarantees. Look for a very underused, securely parked car, and replace it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Im trying to figure out if your actually serious with your response.. im 29.. if i was to approach a 16 year old boy, well i can only imagine the many many outcomes of that situation.. none of them good but it is AN idea.
Turn that baseball hat backwards and you're 19!

...but seriously...my honest and sincere advice would look like Bicycle Bob's; I'm just trying to keep things interesting and humorous. I'm sure you'll be able to work something out. The more people you talk to about your idea, the more likely you are to find someone willing to help out in some capacity. He doesn't post here regularly, but "nerdboy" on this forum is a Montrealer. He may know someone who could help you. I sincerely wish you good luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to ragez0r
@ Laurentiu
it is hub mounted, the chain is just to pedal

@ Roger Jolley
wether im alone or chugging along with my wife.. its 35 kph
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragez0r View Post
if i was to approach a 16 year old boy, well i can only imagine the many many outcomes of that situation..
Well, you could always have your wife do the approach :-)

Seriously, though, it looks as though your only real option is to move to a house with a garage, or at least off-street parking, until there are enough electric cars around that landlords start having charging stations.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
ok..i looked on the website, ecoped.ca and it says only one at a time should ride on it...but I guess two smaller built persons wouldn't be a problem. Two beer-belly guys though...pushed along by 500Watts....Umm...NO, that's not gonna happen

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

@ Bicycle Bob
there is a garage within 5 minutes drive from my house but 120$ a month but heres the kicker.. i didnt even spend 120$ a month for gasoline on the V8.. so i need an alternative

@ Wonderboy
i really wish i could appeal to someones sympathy but im kinda not that sort
and your sense of humour is awesome

@ jamesqf
dont get me wrong.. i do own property, 150 sqm beachfront townhouse.. 10,000$cad.. in the philippines due to my beliefs, i will not mortgage a house in north america.. so that idea is out

@ Laurentiu
the sheer hilarity of that would be endless lol but if you ever do it.. ill pay you for a photo
but i weight about 220 pounds (beer weight) and my wife weights half that.. and the maximum limit of the bike is 300 pounds.. i honestly doubt im doing any damage to it.. the only wear and tear is on the battery which is expected.. and if i really think the bike is struggling i let go of the accelarator and pedal
Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

and thank you wonderboy
Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Hey Chris,

I would talk with the landlords and see if you could work some sort of deal for power.

Possibly, you could run an extension cord out your window. Not ideal, but possible.

If you have light posts in your parking lot, or power on the side of the building, it wouldn't be hard to make a parking space with power. You could even mention the merits of having parking spaces where people could plug in block heaters (makes that apartments more attractive to potential renters!)

To convert a car to electric, you are going to need some nice indoor space for a while. Find out if you have any "friends-of-a-friend" who are professional mechanics, work on cars, race cars, or are tinkerers. Those are the guys who can really help you out and maybe help locate some space for you.

How much time and skill you have will greatly effect how long it will take to do a conversion.

A garage would be ideal to keep the car in as well - it will keep the batteries happier in the winter, but it's not a requirement. Keep in mind what you will need for range and speed in your car. Without a garage and/or heater, both with drop a bit in the winter with battery temperature.

One of the advantages of electric bikes is that either the entire bike, or just the removable batteries can be brought inside both for charging AND for keeping them warm in the winter. An electric bike is most likely far more practical for apartment living than an electric car, but don't give up on it.

I'm sure that with a little work you can figure something out for charging in your parking lot.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 07-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey Ben, good to hear from you again.

My landlord isnt one person.. its i guess a company ??? something called turret management. Ive gone to the office and they told me to forget about it.. that unless i want to pay for my parking lot (to have designated parking space) i better shutup and enjoy my free parking lot.. and then they went on and on about how much it would cost to wire each parking spot to specific power meters. so that isnt viable..

theres only 1 light in the parking lot and its on a clothesline pole with no plug (go figure)

im sure they would love to make their buildings more attractive but this particular area never has a shortage of applicants due to its low rent cost.. i know it sounds like some sort of ghetto.. but i assure you.. it isnt..

making the swap should be very easy, ive gone to mechanic school and i could manage it without much hassle.. and i really would like an electric car for winter driving.. the bike will be stored in my appartment on the 3rd floor during the uglyness of Canada

as for the extention cord.. well lets see.. im on the 3rd floor.. and between my balcony and the parkinglot thers about 1/3 of a football field of grass.. and thats the entrance to the parking lot so every1 would be driving over my cable... as u can imagine...i dont have many options

my next option would be to have this done in the philippines where i DO own a house with a garage but something tells me that getting local help would b a disaster

well i guess tommorow i can start snooping around to find an outlet somewhere

Thank you
Chris

Last edited by ragez0r; 07-12-2010 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: boo boo
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

well i have somewhat of a solution, in the philippines there is a car called the Eagle G-car
which is Philippines first electric car, ill simply buy that 1 (3500$) and charge it at my home dunno if i can post a link here but .. here goesMygreenwheels - Journal - Eagle G-car - Philippines get their ownEV

as for driving electric here well.. i cant... apperantly transport Canada doesnt not believe it safe for small electric cars to be on the road... however.. the smart fortwo (smaller than the old mini i think) is legal.. or 50cc scooters is legal.. but electric cars arent.... ill be honest with you.. this is the biggest pile of bulls!@t ive ever seen my whole life.. and to make it even worse.. there is an electric car company that makes electric cars 10-15 minutes drive from home... its called Zenn ZENN Motor Company and they are here.. in Canada.. and they sell to .. usa and other places...

okay alanis morisette come here.. you can sing that "ironic" song of yours.. i thought Bush Jr was bad (no offense) but it would seem stephen harper is just as evil....

Reply  Post New Thread