Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent777 View Post
thats so cool when did you do the mod? and this gives me a thought okay i have a 4 cylinder. i want to put a thermometer on the fuel rail by each cylinder and see if the temps are the same i bet the last cylinder is going to be hotter if it is i am going to put exhaust wrap between cylinders #3 to #4 to cool the gas )))
I did the mod almost two years ago, to the day. 5 June 2010.

Regarding your thermometers - Are you going to be driving with these thermometers installed?

I am assuming that the fuel rail is fed off one end, as it appears to be with all of the fuel-injected 4-cylinder engines I've worked on in the past. That end will be the coolest end of your fuel rail. That being said, I'm not entirely sure that exhaust wrap will completely help with your engine. The fuel rail receives most of its heat from the engine itself, through the fuel injectors.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
master modder

ticker - '97 nissan d21 xe
Pickups
Team Nissan
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to brent777
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
I did the mod almost two years ago, to the day. 5 June 2010.

Regarding your thermometers - Are you going to be driving with these thermometers installed?

I am assuming that the fuel rail is feed off one end, as it appears to be with all of the fuel-injected 4-cylinder engines I've worked on in the past. That end will be the coolest end of your fuel rail. That being said, I'm not entirely sure that exhaust wrap will completely help with your engine. The fuel rail receives most of its heat from the engine itself, through the fuel injectors.
ohhhh wow 2010 cool man

nope I'm going to get the motor up to temp and keep it running and then put a thermometer on the fuel rail and wait until it reaches the highest temp and repeat process on the fuel rail by each cylinders (is there a better way)

and yes the fuel rail is fed off one end it starts at the fount of the motor and back towards the back and i was going to wrap the rail that corresponds with each cylinder that is hotter and heck the fuel injectors are in the open i can warp which ever one of them i need to or do a mini heat shield. what do you think?

p.s thank you for all your feed back
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Racers have been cooling fuel forever.

It has the benefit of lowering intake air temps which in turn lets you run more timing. In fact, I would expect in the above dyno charts that pre-mod, the ECU was pulling a small amount of timing due to intake air temp.

There are several styles available.
Design Engineering DEI 080125 - DEI CryO2 Fuel Chilling Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Passive:
Flex-a-lite 4136 - Flex-a-lite Compact Fluid Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I've seen some active ones with fans too. The best placement seems to be on the return side as it's generally lower pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang Matt For This Useful Post:
brent777 (07-16-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Matt View Post
Racers have been cooling fuel forever.

It has the benefit of lowering intake air temps which in turn lets you run more timing. In fact, I would expect in the above dyno charts that pre-mod, the ECU was pulling a small amount of timing due to intake air temp.
That may well be true, but...

The engine represented by the above dyno run has its intake air temp sensor well before the fuel injectors. Injected fuel will not affect measured intake air temperature because of this. Furthermore, there is no knock sensor for the above engine configuration.

I still suspect that the above engine was not running in a balanced fashion. In other words, some cylinders were getting more fuel by mass, and some cylinders were getting less fuel by mass. That is because the fuel was getting heated up as it made its way from the fuel line, through the horseshoe-shaped fuel rail assembly, and feeding cylinders 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, and 7 (in that order) with progressively less dense fuel due to heating effects. Cylinders 6 and 8 (again in that order) would see the same thing, only much less severe.

Since that particular engine configuration only had one pre-cat O2 sensor, and since the engine computer can't do a per-cylinder delivery adjustment anyway, the engine computer was going nuts trying to maintain the correct amount of fuel for all cylinders, and it simply defaulted to a richer-than-necessary fuel trim to compensate.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
lean signature

lean signature shows up in the spark waveform
here

the sixth waveform shows a lesser lean condition than the others , this waveform is captured during DFCO so all injectors are shut off
all spark waveforms should show show lean condition by a consistent amount
that #6 injector is leaking
OR the purge valve is near #6 and the purge valve is open during the capture .

you can use the same ignition waveforms to show when a particular cylinder is
lean or rich
at cruise OR WOT
and it is very possible to have the fuel trim for the engine or bank at stoich when as many cylinders are lean as are rich
total trim is correct
trim per cylinder can be way off , and efficiency and FE suffer because of it

your particular engine will yield a great deal of information regarding fuel trim and internal pressure through the spark waveforms

on more advanced systems

you can graph KNOCK RETARD per cylinder , knowing that lean cylinders will tend to "ping" more than un lean cylinders , the cylinders that are knock retarded , are lean
OR have carbon deposits OR more likely
both
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
fuel economy - Ford Ranger Forum - A Community of Ford Truck Fans

This guy is doing something a little different but it's with the purge system. Non hypermiler or ecomodder getting 32MPG highway is worth a look

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
The Following User Says Thank You to MPGranger For This Useful Post:
brent777 (07-16-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
makes me think of some early 2000s 2500 chevy trucks, they had purge valves, but they were heavy enough trucks they didn't have to monitor evaportive emissions. anyway in dusty enough conditions they could get their vent clogged up, the purge would keep running, and they could collapse the tank enough to damage the sending unit / fuel pump

Reply  Post New Thread