Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SilverStang - '00 Ford Mustang
90 day: 22.23 mpg (US)
What should I do about the spoiler?

I've been thinking about getting an S281 spoiler for my car does it reduce aerodynamic drag lower than what my stock OEM spoiler or am I better off just leaving it alone. The S281 sits flat along the trunk lid and scoops up slightly while completly sealed from air getting underneath, where as the Oem alows air over and under the spoiler just google Mustang S281 spoiler for 1999-2004. It would cost me about $200 for the spoiler but I have to get it prepped and painted yet, But my car is due for a new paint job next spring because it's got quite a few knicks in the paint from the previous owner. It's currently silver but am probably going to get it painted Sapphire blue or Subaru blue. any opinios here? thanks guys.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
That is the spoiler you are talking about? I'd say that it doesn't hurt anything, most likely would help. It also looks nicer than most spoilers out there but it's a little much IMO. That same thing at a smaller scale would be nicer IMO but that is speaking aesthetically.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SilverStang - '00 Ford Mustang
90 day: 22.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit View Post
That is the spoiler you are talking about? I'd say that it doesn't hurt anything, most likely would help. It also looks nicer than most spoilers out there but it's a little much IMO. That same thing at a smaller scale would be nicer IMO but that is speaking aesthetically.
Yea thats the spoiler and about the same color I want to get my car repainted in. I too think it might help but It probably isn't worth it right now until I have money for the paint job too.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
If drag reduction is your goal just REMOVE the spoiler and fill the holes. Even the spoiler you are thinking about has a lip that would probably add downforce, which is drag.

If you insist on doing something back there try to find something flat that extends the trunk without raised lips, etc.

Like this, but without the little kick up at the end:

The fine people at http://www.edquay.com would gladly build you one.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SuperTrooper -

Cool find. Here is a picture of it on the previous gen Mustang :

(Note - It's available for 2nd Gen CRX's too)

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
If drag reduction is your goal just REMOVE the spoiler and fill the holes. Even the spoiler you are thinking about has a lip that would probably add downforce, which is drag.
Maybe, maybe not. The good thing about the pictured spoiler is that it will cleanly break the air away from the back of the car, the bad thing being that it kicks it up rather than down. The net effect, good or bad, is very hard to determine. The amount of upward kick to the air, creating down force, looks small and that may be minor compared to the gain from recapturing the streamlines coming off the back window.

Remember the Pinto that Car and Driver modified in the 70's to gain FE? They added an aggressively upward-pitched rear spoiler that reduced drag, as it gained more from catching the streamlines than it lost in any down force generation.

I'd say the spoiler's a likely net FE gain, upward lip or not. Maybe not, though, a coastdown test would probably tell the tale.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
spoiler

It would be helpful to have a side shot of the car to check the backlite angle,and line defined from the back of the roof to the top of the trunklid top at the rear.You could compare that to the angles provided by the new spoiler.------------------------- If the new line,from roof rear,to top rear end of spoiler was in the 10-13 degree angle range,I'd say its a winner.-------------------------- The little upsweep may act to burst attached vortices,allowing for a homogeneous turbulent wake.A good thing!I wouldn't expect great improvement in mpg,but I think you would measure an improvement.P.S. In MetroMPG's thread for his Permanent Metro Kammback,we created an aerodynamic template which is designed to evaluate exactly what your thinking about.Follow the directions,and if the lines conform to the template,even in abbreviated form,as with spoilers,your still in! If it fits the curve the air will like it,will cut drag and improve mpg.Simple!