Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Car clubs think MPG is craziness. They all act they are wanting to win the Indy 500.

The car is basically a Caprice cop car with a lower stance and Corvette engine.
I had basically the same engine in... a '94 Corvette. I had a huge range in mileage depending on how I drove it: 10-29mpg. If I was being good, it wasn't hard to stay in the 25-29 range though. Mine was a manual.

Besides the tranny, the big differences are:
  • Weight. Maybe you can try to remove some mass.
  • Aerodynamics. Some of the aero tricks may help here, but that fact is, it's a big car.
  • Gearing. 0.5:1 overdrive in the manual... But the auto was still geared higher than your car with 2.73:1 differentials. It may be worth switching over.

Switching to a manual shift probably won't help enough to matter. The big problem with the auto is the inefficiency of the tranny design. You need to use power to operate the pump and you'll always have the torque converter to deal with.

-Mike

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
I had basically the same engine in... a '94 Corvette. I had a huge range in mileage depending on how I drove it: 10-29mpg. If I was being good, it wasn't hard to stay in the 25-29 range though. Mine was a manual.

Besides the tranny, the big differences are:
  • Weight. Maybe you can try to remove some mass.
  • Aerodynamics. Some of the aero tricks may help here, but that fact is, it's a big car.
  • Gearing. 0.5:1 overdrive in the manual... But the auto was still geared higher than your car with 2.73:1 differentials. It may be worth switching over.

Switching to a manual shift probably won't help enough to matter. The big problem with the auto is the inefficiency of the tranny design. You need to use power to operate the pump and you'll always have the torque converter to deal with.

-Mike
The big problem with the auto is having to push fluid around. That's the largest inefficiency with automagic transmissions. They're still directly connected from input to output by gears and clutches, just like a manual. The fluid movement is the demon there, and for obvious reasons, you can't overcome it. The difference isn't THAT dramatic in efficiencies between manuals and automatics of this time period, though. It's only a couple percent torque loss, mostly due to the locking torque convertor, which locks at a 1:1 ratio input to output. From that point on, there are small frictional losses, some fluid pumping, and then the output.

The torque convertor losses are able to be eliminated once you've left 1st gear, since you can manually lock the TC. If you're not using alot of torque to accelerate, you can safely accelerate under TC lock without causing it to let loose.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Yes ATs are harder but not completely impossible, my 98 buick I am stuck with for a while should be proof well enough of that.

Also Big Dave, I could get approx. 24mpg with the 93 350 gas suburban we use for crafts on the highway, you need to probably drive a little harder than you are used to and vary your speed quite a bit. Since that weighs about 2k more and is as aerodynamic as a brick you should be able to tweak your SS better than a Suburban.

(I assume Big Dave has a scamguage so he can see what the car does under different throttle and situations.)

One thing on highway driving I have noticed on all my AT's is that the MPGs will drop after a while sometimes while going DOWNHILL under light throttle, you instinctively push in a little to hold speed above downshift and the FE drops and speed continues to drop. Then I notice my flat road steady state MPGs are severely dropped after one of these type of incidents.

Oddly enough letting off the gas while coasting downhill and allowing the GPH to drop to idle levels seems to "reset" my fe after the above happens so when I push the throttle back in my FE stays hi, my power is improved and I can once again maintain speed without suffering reduced FE. Trouble is when I let off the gas it doesn't just drop, it drops down then pops back up to .75gph then sslllooowwwly drops to my idle fuel rate around .4gph so I need a long gentle downslope to maintain speed.

Some have said its because of my lockup, some have said its a case of detroit fever where the motor has been running leaner than normal and than the computer corrects, whatever the case I am slowly figuring out the AT vehicle's "quirks" at least on the Buick.

Something else I have noticed, my Dodge crewcab drops fuel consumption instantly to idle levels when you put it in neutral which makes a huge FE difference than leaving it in D and suffering double the fuel consumption. My Buick is the opposite using less fuel when left in gear, odd. My Dodge also uses about the same amount of fuel under heavy accerlation (GPH) as when you accelerate more moderately, wheras my buick is also reverse, your better off with moderate on the buick than heavy.

Another odd quirk is that my buick once the motor is warm drops fuel consumption linear with the throttle when its in open loop after a restart at a stopsign or light, so when I take off and then coast to the next light my consumption rates drops instantly to .52gph instead of hovering at .75gph for about 5 seconds. So I am actually better in open loop with a hot engine in town than with it left in closed loop.

Also you need to take care coasting your auto since there is a point where your FE drops below an acceptable level since you are forced to leave the
motor on. I try to end up somewhere around 15-18mph when I have to then come to a complete stop, below that ruins my FE except if I know the light is about to change then conserving momentum helps.

Good Luck Big Dave, a little more patience and you will find that hypermiling an auto can be fruitfull as well but the techniques you use on a manual DO NOT directly translate, you need to figure out the quirks and drive strangely to get better MPGs on an auto. You need to feather and play with the throttle much more than you are probably accustomed to. You will also need to plan your routes more carefully to avoid stopping at all costs. In stop and go in town driving can easily be half the MPGs as highway driving on a typical auto, so you can drive up to double the distance to get around those situations in an auto and still burn the same amount of fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
The clichés have been tried, tested and proven effective on most of the vehicles. An AT by default makes hypermiling harder because you have to fight it most of the time. I tell people with a MT not to fear rolling heavily into the throttle and shift early, but I can't tell people stuck with an AT to punch it, because they have mostly no control over the shifting. There are so many variables that affect fuel mileage that the best advice to give people would be to head over here. But since very few people will do that, my generic advice is to take is easy, slow down and use your brakes as little as possible.

Last edited by rmay635703; 09-26-2009 at 07:21 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
99LeCouch (09-26-2009)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Agreed, autotragic transmissions are FE killers in town.

To reduce fluid pumping losses, you can switch to Dexron-VI or Amsoil's new ATL. Also, see if there's a cheap shift kit that reduces shift times. I'm trying both the Dex-VI and shift kit in a few weeks on my Buick. The results should be interesting.

And playing with the throttle is a must. Shifting into N to prolong glides downhill also works wonders.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
This is one thing I love about my wife's new Saturn - I can EOC safely, and it's an automagic.

The only PITA about it is that you have to anticipate the engine's restart cycle, because as soon as you touch the key, it's started, and you have to have it back into gear from neutral within about a second, or the engine is revving 3k RPM. Stupid Saturn ECM programming.

That car will coast for miles, too.

I can tell you, Couch, that using Dexron VI is expensive, but you should never need to change it again, once you're done. I bought it from Wally World, and haven't had a problem with it yet, but if I have to change her fluid again, it's probably going back to DexIII... I can usually get that stuff free from friends.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

Yeah, I was going to do the Wally-World Dex-VI.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.89 mpg (US)
Congrats on the SS, I always liked those cars, especially being an LT1 guy myself.

As far as the converter in your car goes, I would guess that it probably uses the same converter as my Formula, which has a stall speed of 1800 rpm. Mine does feel a little bit loose sometimes at low speeds, like in parking lots for example. Obviously this is done for performance reasons.

Does this car have a solid axle or IRS? I'm wondering if it uses the same 10 bolt rear end as the F Bodies. If it does you should be able to get some 2.73 gears from an F Body, that would help. But I think the biggest gain would be swapping to a T-56. As waffle said the only way to load this engine effectively is to get the RPMs very low, and the 4L60E just isn't going to let you do that. This is even more true of your car, since the iron head B Body LT1s use a different cam than the F/Y Body LT1s which is geared more towards low end torque.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Phase 1: T-56 Manual Easy project

Phase 2: LH6 DOD engine PCM Mission: Impossible

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Reply  Post New Thread