Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Got here late.

Were it me, and assuming a half-dozen to a dozen participants in typical suburbia, I'd try to teach them one thing, and one thing only: trip-planning. The goal would be to reduce the amount of use the car[s] receives. The class would center around the experiences/reports by each on a week-to-week basis. (Hopefully it wouldn't be all retirees.)

I'd ask them about their cars: age, usual length of ownership plus miles traveled, etc. See if there were similarities between participants. Establish the range of things. What are their constant, regular, destinations as reached by car?

Most folks tend to know their gasoline use. And their monthly debt payment. But it's all that they know. In polls Americans also report feeling harried.

The purely hypothetical Donna B keeps cars five years and drives 60k-miles in that time. Each mile driven costs her 70-cents. If she reduces the annual mileage and keeps the car one more year, her cost is reduced to . . . . How to do this?

To wit:

Week One would be to ask them to drive as normal, but to record gallons used, miles traveled and times en-route. As a trip log. Without revealing the next.

Parameters emphasized for Week Two and beyond (subject to group input):

[1] Combining all short trips (no last minute runs to the store)

[2] Limits on hours available for use (especially no 10-pm runs to the C-store or pharmacy)

[3] The "ideal" of at least one day of not using a car.

The rest of the class sessions would be charting what arose: those preferences and planning aids folks used to quit making such casual non-thinking use of expensive vehicles and fuel.

Then, offering trip-planning aids such as seen here: go to the farthest point and work back towards home. Make only right-hand turns. Etc. Display for them map-reading and GPS skills, plus websites which make this easy (there are many, this deserves the teachers time: route planning aids which need only addresses inputted, with loops and RH turns emphasized).

And see if they find making comfortable changes on ordinary errand-running and commuting to verfiably reduce the time, money, stress and fuel use. The strategy behind the tactics (how to drive being less important than when to drive). And how they'll not only save money (net income cash), but feel better about themselves as a result:

Example: If my Saturday is no longer in main consumed by errand-running now done to & from work on commutes with but one weekend trip, then how will I use it?

Of what will my Sunday consist as a member of a congregation expected to be of service to others. (Not to cram in yet more activities, but to read and reflect as taught; am I better at listening to others by the quality of my response/reflections? How has this set of small changes made for a large change in my internal state?).

If my time is better used, and my cost of living reduced, does this apply as a member of XYZ congregation to the way we are charged to live?

How might this apply to other mindless activities such as television-watching, etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Tango Charlie (10-11-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
I know I'm a bit late to the party but, how's the class going? Did you windup with good results? Do you have any video of presentations/slides?

Since I'm new to all this I thought I'd add my perspective: I'm looking to reduce gas use without sacrificing commute time. So, in my case it boils down to trip planning. What roads to take when commuting that offer the best gas savings (all downhill both ways, all right turns, better timed stop lights, what speed to catch all green lights etc...)

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Thanks for the interest, SimonSellsAustin!

The class went well. It was only three Wednesdays, but I feel it was plenty. I asked for feedback from the two guys at the end, and they were quite positive.

I didn't take any video. I do have powerpoint presentations that I used during the class. I have no clue how to upload them, or if it's even possible. I'll ask my 15 year old, in-house IT tech about that.

Funny you should mention commute time. One of the main points I tried to get across (repeatedly) was the concept of leaving earlier, allowing more time, and SLOWING DOWN. It's not easy, and today's fast-paced culture works against it, but it will get you definite results. One of the side benefits is the near-total dissolvement of STRESS. Oh my gosh, it is so nice to drive peacefully to your destination and arrive relaxed! Unfortunately we see the commute as a necessary, tedious, and unenjoyable TASK to be minimized as much as possible. When did that happen? When did we stop going on Sunday afternoon drives as a form of relaxing entertainment? When did we lose the joy of automobile operation? I'm guessing it was around 1961, somewhere in Winsconsin (that's a seatbelt legislation allusion).

Whoooops. Sorry 'bout that rant. I'll step down from the soap box now.

Last edited by Tango Charlie; 10-11-2011 at 11:31 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
When did we stop going on Sunday afternoon drives as a form of relaxing entertainment? When did we lose the joy of automobile operation? I'm guessing it was around 1961, somewhere in Winsonsin (that's a seatbelt legislation allusion).

Whoooops. Sorry 'bout that rant. I'll step down from the soap box now.
Funny thing is since I've bought this new car the girlfriend and I take joy rides all the time.. I accidentally ran a stoplight today being distracted by a joke she was telling me and netted a fresh crisp ticket. That's the first one since 2005. No worries though, I coasted through traffic without causing a scene. Good thing I know the judge and I like community service.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
I didn't take any video. I do have powerpoint presentations that I used during the class. I have no clue how to upload them, or if it's even possible. I'll ask my 15 year old, in-house IT tech about that.
Upload & Share PowerPoint presentations and documents
I discovered this a few months ago. Very useful.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism
Reply  Post New Thread