Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #491 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
Well, I feel like an outlier here! I've been lurking, reading things on the site for some time, but just registered yesterday. I'm a statistician with an education in sociology and criminology. Not only am I into the liberal arts, but I'm a woman! Fear me! lol

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #492 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep View Post
Well, I feel like an outlier here! I've been lurking, reading things on the site for some time, but just registered yesterday. I'm a statistician with an education in sociology and criminology. Not only am I into the liberal arts, but I'm a woman! Fear me! lol
...First, "Welcome" to ecomodder. Second, maybe you can help us when we try to 'cook' our collected MPG numbers and values into something meaningful?

MPG = Lies, damn Lies and Statistics (ha,ha)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #493 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What's in a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue07CivicEX View Post
lol, not everyone that wants to save money/fuel/enviroment has to be an engineer or automotive tech I was just curious, look at SVOboy, his major has nothing to do with his hobby yet he's what the originator of ecomodder? or one of?
You can be an engineer too. Just give yourself the title. You probably know more than most of them.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:39 AM   #494 (permalink)
Oil Companies Suck

Send a message via AIM to Faulty_Ground
My professional background is lame, which is probably why I stopped doing it.

I started working in a movie store in the mall, where for less than $6 an hour I got to take it easy all day. After deciding my free time was worth more than $6 an hour, I moved on to work for Blizzard as a World of Warcraft game-master. That was a ton of fun, and a bit better money. Unfortunately, at some point there was a pretty hefty turnover in the management team, and the focus shifted from epic customer satisfaction to epic hurry the !#@% up and close more tickets. I don't react well to being told to hurry (read: I don't do it. I won't cause a panic in myself and stress out over someone else's demands) but I especially don't react well to being told to produce poor quality work. So after a while of me continuing to do the best job I could at whatever pace happy customers allowed they sent me packing. Enter my next position as Tier 1 over-the-phone Tech Support for Electronic Arts. I really learned a lot there, that has influenced much of the course of my life since. I learned that I will never again set foot in a call center, I learned that I will never again work as a wage-slave for an Indian-based company. I learned the benefits of standing up for yourself in the workplace, I learned how liberating it can be to walk out of a terrible job. Above all, I learned what is and isn't necessary to be happy. I could go on for paragraphs on that last point, but that belongs in a different thread/forum.

The point is, after that I quit altogether, and have shifted my focus to efficiency and self-reliance, rather than finding a better paycheck.

As far as education, I've been formally trained a while in both automotive, and computer systems. Both are a hobby of mine, but neither have become a profession. I got my A+ license (entirely on accident) just about the time that it became an entirely irrellevant certification, and decided I didn't want to put in for a proper education just to fight an increasingly saturated job market. I had an absolute blast spending a summer learning 12 volt installations, audio theory, a bit of basic fiberglassing, and some custom fabrication at a vocational school.

My hobbies, probably in order, are anything with wheels and a motor, tools, computers, video games, zombies, unreasonably loud stereos, alternative housing, woodwork, and stuff that flies.

I like to take old and busted and make it into something useful again. The results don't always look like new, but if it works like something new... I sometimes call myself the Maharajah of Hillbillistan, given the "custom" appearance of my... mobile living quarters.

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set
fire to a man, and he will be warm for the rest of this life.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #495 (permalink)
L/100km

Missy - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 35.62 mpg (US)
Hi all,

I'm currently working as a Quality Engineer with a company that does packaging of kits and service parts for the Auto/Agri industry.

My background is in Mechanical and Manufacturing engineering.
I have always worked and fixed my own cars.

Paul
Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #496 (permalink)
I'm here to learn!

Shadow - '01 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2 LS
90 day: 18.18 mpg (US)
My current field of work is public safety. Full time, I am a Police/Fire/EMS dispatcher for my county dispatch center (9 years). I also serve as a fire instructor/fire officer/fire fighter for my local volunteer fire department (13 years). Additionally, I am a member of my county USAR-HazMat-Tech Rescue Team (1.5 years). Currently, I am in the process of finishing my AS in Criminal Justice.

I have worked in the automotive field in the past as a tech for Waldoch Custom Centers here in Minnesota, back in the hey day of truck accessories. While the company now is all but extinct, in the mid to late 90's we were pumping out custom trucks left and right. I have since let it expire (not the best idea, wish I would have kept it) however I did once posess a ASE Master Tech. certification.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #497 (permalink)
Slantbackd ecomodin lurkr

Celica-ca - '01 Toyota Celica gt

Sikvibe - '03 Pontiac Vibe Base
Former Commercial HVACR Mechanic, currently recovering from a motorcycle accident, left me with a exploded patella (knee cap out of the body broken into 8 pieces on the ground) and a broken femur. Left me with a lot of time on my hands to combat stupidity, the NWO, and any other types of technology (that benefits mankind, not destroy it) suppressors...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #498 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Howdy, McBroiler! What part of Arid-Zona you hiding in?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #499 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
If you ever see a 95 gray Toyota PU without a front bumper or tailgate running around Tucson wave. :-)
Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #500 (permalink)
Slantbackd ecomodin lurkr

Celica-ca - '01 Toyota Celica gt

Sikvibe - '03 Pontiac Vibe Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Howdy, McBroiler! What part of Arid-Zona you hiding in?

Mostly the cooler parts, namely the white mountains..Tucson' is to hot for my blood (being a Michigan native)! I also own a ponti-crack vibe '03 that I am currently building a turbo motor for these hilly roads.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear