Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
ian
EcoModding Lurker

$100 Civic VX 5 wire O2 / LAF sensor. will it work?

Hi all,

I went through the troubleshooting flowchart for a CEL code 48 on my '93 Civic VX and landed on replace LAF sensor. I got the Honda part # (36531P07003) for my car's LAF sensor from hondapartsnow.com who say they are an authorized Honda parts dealer and want almost $400 for the sensor.

A Google search of the part # yielded many forum discussions on the topic of whether or not cheaper sensors will work. I've read many posts warning to beware of sensors with a blue wire and to stay away from the L2H2 sensor. Some are saying that the lower price sensors wont function well enough to extinguish the CEL and others are saying that even if the cheaper sensor turns off the CEL it will negatively affect MPG. Many others claim to have purchased and used lower price sensors with no ill effects.

I'd like to pay as little as possible for the sensor, but don't want to get stuck with a sensor that either doesn't work, or hurts my MPG. Any advice/real world experience would be most appreciated. I don't yet fully understand this issue and am hoping to get more of an education here.

Here are two sensors I found on e-bay that both say they are the right part for my car. Please weigh in with whatever advice you have and thank you for your time.

HONDA CIVIC 5-WIRE OXYGEN SENSOR 36531P07003 | eBay

WIDE BAND OXYGEN SENSOR HONDA 36531P07003 | eBay

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

great question, i have no info to add, but eager to learn more.

subscribed.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In reading through quite a number of threads on the topic, a general conclusion would be that the OE Honda sensor is your best bet. If the cost is that much of a factor then work with a local parts supplier that might take a return if it did not do the job. NAPA, Autozone, or other local retailers who might accept a return above the simple "here is another one for you to try" endless squirrel cage of frustration. Returns to any eBay seller could get tiring very quickly. Personally I would try to find a Honda parts dealer that worked for a national market and offered the OEM sensor at a significant discount, especially since shipping would be probably less than local sales tax, and you get the right part for the job, hopefully the first time, versus never>

regards
Mech
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Sorry all I can add is the original Honda sensor is very smooth going into leanburn. I kept my old one that stumbled as a spare (not sure if it was the $100 one or not as it came with the car )
They both give the exact same highway mileage though. The new Honda one is just nicer to drive with.
I am almost tempted to buy the $139 one you linked to and compare because this question comes up a lot.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This eBay listing advertises that they are selling a NTK 24300 but the etching on the o2 sensor I received from them says 22641AA050 LZA06-AF1 NTK. It is a 5-wire. Googling those part numbers didn't result in anything conclusive. Tech support at NTK USA said that the correct replacement for an L1H1 is supposed to be an LZA09. The shipped to me is an LZA06. They have no data on LZA06’s since they are only sold in Japan but did say that there are big internal differences between each model (LZA06, LZA07, LZA08, etc.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe1234 For This Useful Post:
Ryland (07-21-2012), turbothrush (07-26-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
ian
EcoModding Lurker

I went ahead and bought one, but havent had the time to put it in. After I get it in I'll update on whether it worked or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to ian For This Useful Post:
turbothrush (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1234 View Post
This eBay listing advertises that they are selling a NTK 24300 but the etching on the o2 sensor I received from them says 22641AA050 LZA06-AF1 NTK. It is a 5-wire. Googling those part numbers didn't result in anything conclusive. Tech support at NTK USA said that the correct replacement for an L1H1 is supposed to be an LZA09. The shipped to me is an LZA06. They have no data on LZA06’s since they are only sold in Japan but did say that there are big internal differences between each model (LZA06, LZA07, LZA08, etc.)

I almost bought this same one, but the seller didn't respond to my question regarding this being an authentic L1H1 sensor that the listing claims. Something seemed fishy.

I could care less how rough the engine is during lean/stiochiometric burn transition - might be a good thing as long as it hits the 1.55 target lambda and stays there.

My O2 is tired and is getting jerky under steady cruise, looking forward to seeing the results.

$400 will by a lot of fuel, but I have hope the solution works.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
i just joined the forum a little while ago hello everyone. i wanted to wait til i fixed my vx til i joined so i could help others out with this terrible stumbling problem. anyhow im not going to get into the past repairs i did because they are irrelevant. when i got the car previous owner was trying to fix the stumble and could not. It had a new oxygen sensor ntk with the matching part number so i figured it was not the problem. it ran fine cold, when it got hot it had the common stumble and when o2 was unplugged it ran fine.

luckily i have a spare vx laying around to compare some stuff with. the factory calls for the A09 part number oxygen sensor. the one i am working on had an A08 number but my spare one had the A09 which that previous owner replaced with new. On top of that he had the old one in the glove box and that was also an A09 number. sooo i switched the A09 to the one i was having the stumble with and voila stumble was gone (after i reset the ecu first) On a tank of gas with the A08 i got 44mpg but that was affected by the low power problem and me having to increase the throttle position to gain power. i should be over 50mpg now with a smooth transition into and out of lean burn

in my first experience with the vx stumble i would go ahead and get the honda factory sensor/ or A09 ntk sensor. fix it right the first time as many would say.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
update: first tank of gas with the new oxygen sensor increased to 47.9 mpg with a very smooth transition into and out of leanburn. planned mods are mpguino, volt meter to monitor either the injector pulse width or oxgen sensor voltage in lean burn, and vaccum gauge all while maintaining a stock instrument cluster feel. also new struts and lowering springs with alignment. i will start a project thread when i start the mods
Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
GTR
EcoModding Lurker

Red VX - '93 Honda Civic VX

Teal VX - '94 Honda Civic VX

Godzilla - '09 Nissan GTR Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
update: first tank of gas with the new oxygen sensor increased to 47.9 mpg with a very smooth transition into and out of leanburn. planned mods are mpguino, volt meter to monitor either the injector pulse width or oxgen sensor voltage in lean burn, and vaccum gauge all while maintaining a stock instrument cluster feel. also new struts and lowering springs with alignment. i will start a project thread when i start the mods
Which struts and springs are you looking at? I'm just about in the same place you are at the moment.

Didn't know if I shoulda just get cheap stuff at autozone, find some used integra gsr parts, or get some aftermarket coilovers or something

Reply  Post New Thread