Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Crx-Vx - '90 Honda CRX VX
90 day: 45.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJguy View Post
I can see that as being the case for a plane where the the concern is drag while in the air. But on a car the wheels rotate pumping air up and over into the wheel bay/well.

do you mean getting pumped up behind the wheel...

I just cant see too much air being pumped up from behind the wheel unless you had HUGE tire tread...

wouldent the air get squished out by the tire?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

It happens even with slicks. Maybe if you were to have bicycle width tires or even the very thin tires used at Bonneville, but anything else its quite significant.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJguy View Post
I am a bit perplexed...will have to look this up, but perhaps some of you already have.

With regards to the turbulent air behind a rotating wheel. In most race cars the rule is to provide as clear a path for the air that interacted with the wheel as possible. You'll see vents immediately behind the front wheels, as well as tunnels for the rear wheel air. I see this as a solution to two problems, wind drag, and brake heat. However in some cars I see fairings that approach the ground located immediately behind the wheel and come to a sharp taper behind the wheel.

So the question is, which of these will result in better aero?
*On a low-drag car the wheels constitute half the air drag so fairings play a critical role in drag reduction.
*Hucho says that their integration into the body is crucial if truly low drag is to be achieved.
* You can look at my trailer project to see the extremes I'm going to to cut drag.
* Solar racers and university MPG champion cars are good models from which to base fairing design.

Reply  Post New Thread