Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gas Passer

Burnt's Cobalt - '09 Chevy Cobalt LT XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.66 mpg (US)
Where to obtain coroplast?

Any dumpster diving suggestions on where to get cheap (read: free) coroplast for a jobless grad student currently living below the official poverty level?

I'm going to be testing upper blocks on my cobalt.....probably start with duct tape and move on from there; but i'd like to obtain some coroplast/coroplast substitute from somewhere....either free or cheap....do home improvement stores sell it? hobby stores? I'd prefer not to buy it online

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I've never heard of an impoverished 09 cobalt driver... you could probably sell that car and buy at least 5 halfway decent used cars, some food, and coroplast to boot. But alas I suppose we feel culturally entitled to new things. And coroplast. Check your local sign shop, they'll probably give it to you.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Will

You can get it from gas stations as well, when they change their signage. Often, they just throw the old stuff out. Don't take it without asking, though. Sometimes, they have to send it back to the corporate office or whatever.

Ask me how I know.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gas Passer

Team Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
I've never heard of an impoverished 09 cobalt driver... you could probably sell that car and buy at least 5 halfway decent used cars, some food, and coroplast to boot. B
hahaha believe it or not it's true its true...

I actually had a '98 tacoma with 165k mikes that was recalled because of a frame rust issue...

toyota gave me 1.5x the KBB in excellent condition for it; we were able to buy the cobalt (used) outright without taking a loan with 3k from our savings...my wife is tired of buying jalopies that barely run
Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Too bad my Tacoma had a perfect frame... Nothing else was good, but the damned frame was/is perfect. (I still have the frame in my yard.)

Still, not to seem like I'm bashing your choice, but I would have bought something that didn't require me to dive into savings at all, and something I was sure I could work on. Cost of ownership is going to kill you in the next couple years on that car in maintenance alone, because parts for it aren't going to be cheap.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gas Passer

Team Chevy
yeah you really missed out - toyota really took care of us; I had a loaner corolla that I drove around for a few weeks while the paperwork was processed

oh I agree with you completely; i've never bought anything this new in my life; however my better half wanted something with under 10k miles that we could transport our 18 month old in, and (as embarrassed as I am to admit this) I got sucked in by the american dream when I had the toyota check in hand...this is my version of an '09 optioned hummer....so much for my anti-consumerist values.........

I'm banking on the idea that by the time this starts needing parts in a few years I'll be out of grad school and in community college learning how to repair cars (something i've wanted to do for a while)