Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black sheep 2013 - '11 Volkswagen Jetta S
90 day: 29.01 mpg (US)

black sheep 2014 - '11 volkswagen jetta trendline plus
90 day: 29.78 mpg (US)

Black sheep 2015 - '11 Vw Jetta mk6
90 day: 22.42 mpg (US)
check this MPG story!!

Summer of 2013...
Skates, rollerblades, zoom shoes, whatever you call them each individual has their own thoughts and perception of what skating is. We do stunts on rollerblades. Every Year there is a skate park battle called The POPularity Contest, the formatt is who ever can pull off the most astonishing tricks and has the presence of being the most popular skater wins 1st. POP was celebrating its 10th year running in the beautifull city of Vancouver BC. My Friend Ryan Roux and I are both extreme skaters, and we are juiced on attending this event. Coming from Calgary Ab there are 3 ways of crossing the praries to the Pacific. Drive, fly or take the train. The train took to long, we had to manage our time and flying was very expensive for a last minute decision, so driving was our only option, which happened to be my 2011 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L Gas. The EPA rating for my car is 25MPG or 9.4LHK and my tank holds 14 Gallons,The trip according to googlemaps is exactly 969km. we will need 24.08Gallons of gas to cover this distance, with fuel averaging 5$ a gallon we will need $120.40 to go one way. Being new to the hypermiling game i thought i could make it on one tank of fuel or $60! WOW! what a dream.

Equiped with a Scanguage fuel economy reader, and 42 psi in all the tires, we were off on our adventure with 12 hours of day light to get to vancouver.
The morning we left the Temp was +20 deg celcius but that quickly dropped in the mountains to 4 Deg celcius, along with high altitude i wasent sure if i could make it on one tank, i was getting scared i was maintaining 40 MPG AVG and i needed a steady 43 MPG AVG to make the one tank wonder! On our 3rd hour in we stopped to use the necessities and glared at the beauty of the canadian rockies, we chatted with european travelers who were hiking, then decided to jet. Little did we know the next 10 minutes of our drive was all down hill through the mountains. Note, my vehicle already being at optimum running temp, my scan gauge lit up with a bursting 80 MPG AVG i though maby its possible just maby and held on to my hopes. We Stopped in Penticton BC to skate the cement park which was also located on the beach for some post session bronzing and swimming. Were off, we filled up at shell i did some calculations we drove 670 km on 36.6L of fuel or on other words 43.1MPG My goal is in site but we still had 299 km to go and 18.4 litres to do it in. We missioned it 8 more hours to Hope BC 10 km from vancouver where i checked my 24 hour fuel usage on my scanguage and it registered as 15.3 gallons over 1048km, we had made a few stops at the parks and beaches and took some detours adding to the journey, we made it to my good friend Brian Raymond's appartment where he greeted us with cold beer and goodies. Now the moment of truth, i put down my cold one, and I calculated my mpg, it was 42.96mpg! I couldent believe it! we made it to van on one tank, i will round .4 up anyday! Oh by the way Ryan Roux ended up taking 1ST at the 10th annual Popularity contest in his humble fashion just adding excitement and celebration to the whole 5 day outing. SPECIAL THANKS, Razors, Shop-Task, IDFA, VW,

Daniel Davidson-Pilon

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmafanp For This Useful Post:
AndrzejM (10-03-2013), jeff88 (10-03-2013), Joggernot (10-03-2013), mcrews (10-02-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmafanp View Post
Summer of 2013...
Skates, rollerblades, zoom shoes, whatever you call them each individual has their own thoughts and perception of what skating is. We do stunts on rollerblades. Every Year there is a skate park battle called The POPularity Contest, the formatt is who ever can pull off the most astonishing tricks and has the presence of being the most popular skater wins 1st. POP was celebrating its 10th year running in the beautifull city of Vancouver BC. My Friend Ryan Roux and I are both extreme skaters, and we are juiced on attending this event. Coming from Calgary Ab there are 3 ways of crossing the praries to the Pacific. Drive, fly or take the train. The train took to long, we had to manage our time and flying was very expensive for a last minute decision, so driving was our only option, which happened to be my 2011 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L Gas. The EPA rating for my car is 25MPG or 9.4LHK and my tank holds 14 Gallons,The trip according to googlemaps is exactly 969km. we will need 24.08Gallons of gas to cover this distance, with fuel averaging 5$ a gallon we will need $120.40 to go one way. Being new to the hypermiling game i thought i could make it on one tank of fuel or $60! WOW! what a dream.

Equiped with a Scanguage fuel economy reader, and 42 psi in all the tires, we were off on our adventure with 12 hours of day light to get to vancouver.
The morning we left the Temp was +20 deg celcius but that quickly dropped in the mountains to 4 Deg celcius, along with high altitude i wasent sure if i could make it on one tank, i was getting scared i was maintaining 40 MPG AVG and i needed a steady 43 MPG AVG to make the one tank wonder! On our 3rd hour in we stopped to use the necessities and glared at the beauty of the canadian rockies, we chatted with european travelers who were hiking, then decided to jet. Little did we know the next 10 minutes of our drive was all down hill through the mountains. Note, my vehicle already being at optimum running temp, my scan gauge lit up with a bursting 80 MPG AVG i though maby its possible just maby and held on to my hopes. We Stopped in Penticton BC to skate the cement park which was also located on the beach for some post session bronzing and swimming. Were off, we filled up at shell i did some calculations we drove 670 km on 36.6L of fuel or on other words 43.1MPG My goal is in site but we still had 299 km to go and 18.4 litres to do it in. We missioned it 8 more hours to Hope BC 10 km from vancouver where i checked my 24 hour fuel usage on my scanguage and it registered as 15.3 gallons over 1048km, we had made a few stops at the parks and beaches and took some detours adding to the journey, we made it to my good friend Brian Raymond's appartment where he greeted us with cold beer and goodies. Now the moment of truth, i put down my cold one, and I calculated my mpg, it was 42.96mpg! I couldent believe it! we made it to van on one tank, i will round .4 up anyday! Oh by the way Ryan Roux ended up taking 1ST at the 10th annual Popularity contest in his humble fashion just adding excitement and celebration to the whole 5 day outing. SPECIAL THANKS, Razors, Shop-Task, IDFA, VW,

Daniel Davidson-Pilon
Congrats! I would never round .4 up, but being .04 off sounds good. How did you do at the event?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ya i would never round up or down mid calculation, but i skated well and did my own thing i didnt place but i had an amazing skate with the homies btw the trip there cost $68 , heres my fuelly account if you want to check the trip back at night my mpg suffered due to temp and added fuel used from the headlights/speeding
Black Sheep (VW Jetta) | Fuelly
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I got stuck at visualizing a couple of guys glaring at mountains.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
^^
And if the mountains blink, YOU, my friend, are the undisputed Staring Contest Champion.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (10-02-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Sounds like it was a good trip. It's really a spectacular drive.

Mods! Mods will make it easier next time! (And then you can choose to go faster and still beat your goal, or go slower and it'll cost even less.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I plan on installing a hybrid upper grill I may lower my tire spats and possibly creat a front air Dam I would love to do more but I want it to look legit I am also installing led DRLs to cut back thanks fr the support

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
2.0l, calgary, jetta, mk6, vancouver