Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2023, 02:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,428 Times in 3,397 Posts
Human behavior also irritates me. If everyone stopped clicking advertisements, they would go away because they wouldn't be effective. Even better would be to make a point to buy a competitors product every time an advertisement or sales pitch is made.

... the hypocritical thing is, I say yes to 100% of kids doing a jog-a-thon or selling popcorn for new uniforms. Would rather just write a check directly to the thing they are raising money for and get nothing than have the 3rd party take half. Mostly I just am impressed when kids are willing to put in effort.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-01-2023, 02:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Advertising is a business model. Right now a lot of things are 100% or near 100% funded from revenue from advertising. This includes the Android operating system (perhaps ChromeOS too) as well as any service from Google (YouTube, etc.) It also includes forums like this one.

If there were no advertising, would you want to pay to watch all on-line videos (maybe you should try Floatplane)? Would you want to pay to be on a forum?

I know people from other poorer countries who don't get ads because ads don't work there, but they still get the "free" services that are funded from our ads. In other words, me clicking on ads funds the internet services in places that otherwise probably wouldn't have them.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've always wondered why people of modest means purchase a new car in the first place?
Doing some quick math, I noticed a Camry (maybe other cars are different) loses about 1/3 of it's value in 5 years. So a $30,000 becomes $20,000 in 5 years. If you plan on keeping the car 15 years, then it's going to cost $10,000 per every 5 years regardless if you buy new or 5 years used.

Of course getting into a $30,000 car means you'd need either a bigger down payment, longer loan term and/or bigger loan meaning you could end up paying more for interest and opportunity losses.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,428 Times in 3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Doing some quick math, I noticed a Camry (maybe other cars are different) loses about 1/3 of it's value in 5 years. So a $30,000 becomes $20,000 in 5 years. If you plan on keeping the car 15 years, then it's going to cost $10,000 per every 5 years regardless if you buy new or 5 years used.
That isn't typical.

Typical is;
10% depreciation driving off the lot
15% total depreciation in the year
50% total deprecation at 5 years
10% depreciation of remaining value every year after

Whacky used car pricing due to WuFlu response now has used cars at 40% depreciation after 5 years. We should expect things to return to normal at some point.

An example of a car retaining 70% value at 5 years is very atypical. Don't know why the Camry in specific retained value so well compared to the others.

My worthless anecdote is I paid $17k for a 4 year old car that sold for $30k when new. Another year of 10% depreciation would put it right at half value in 5 years.

My point is, someone can have a new Chevy Aveo with no AC, or for the same money can have a 4 year old Acura... or they can spend half as much on a 5 year old Aveo.

EDIT: After a decade and a half of avoiding Twitter, I now have to get an account if I want to see the Cybertruck delivery event. I don't even know what videos are doing on a stupid limited-character texting platform.

EDIT2: I keep clicking on the X logo thinking that's the X to close a window. Genius making a logo look like the universal close symbol.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-01-2023 at 03:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2023, 09:30 AM   #35 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
I will click on them or let them run on YouTube so that they have to pay for the advertisement, with no intention of viewing the advertisement or buying what they're sellling.
You also are giving the content creator a couple pennies which is good.

What sucks worse is fbook has removed the ability to block and hide crap reels and videos from mediocre accounts s, even if you report the video.

Lately I’ve been bombarded with all foreign language crap, since day 1 most of fbook has been foreign language for me and none of the fixes do anything, foreign bs even creeps into YouTube and there appears to be very little you can do to change it. Like my data harvesting profile I can’t touch got hacked.
Never left Wisconsin so not sure why I would get Asian, phillipino and east European crapola. Delete accounts make new same bs.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,142 Times in 1,008 Posts
Dunno about the foreign stuff..... wife was researching our trip to Spain and everything started showing up in Spanish. With the heavy blockers and filters I was running, I was even getting leaks. Went in and cleared all her history and preferences which caused consternation but after a week stuff returned to normal. Had a long and nasty conversation about net security, month later she's back to her old bad habits.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:31 AM   #37 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I only use the same couple dozen sites and have forever (pretty tame forums and email), the foreign nonsense started when I was forced to make a facebook account.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:49 PM   #38 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,642 Times in 1,464 Posts
Quote:
I know people from other poorer countries who don't get ads because ads don't work there, but they still get the "free" services that are funded from our ads. In other words, me clicking on ads funds the internet services in places that otherwise probably wouldn't have them.
Odd enough, there is still a lot of ads in poorer countries, even though folks may not buy whatever is advertised. Not to mention ads are often segmented according to each location. While you may see a lot of hi-tech stuff in the ads shown to you, someone else may see ads for simpler stuff or even for a local supermarket chain where some random staple food item is available at a heavily discounted price.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Odd enough, there is still a lot of ads in poorer countries, even though folks may not buy whatever is advertised. Not to mention ads are often segmented according to each location. While you may see a lot of hi-tech stuff in the ads shown to you, someone else may see ads for simpler stuff or even for a local supermarket chain where some random staple food item is available at a heavily discounted price.
The country my sister lives in has no ads, at least on YouTube. When she comes to visit the USA she complains that she gets ads on YouTube. Now she does live in the kind of country where very, very few people can afford a car or even ride a bus. Most people walk.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,642 Times in 1,464 Posts
Quote:
The country my sister lives in has no ads, at least on YouTube.
Where does your sister live?

Reply  Post New Thread