Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Cruising toward Oblivion

A good short piece discussing some history and current trends among teenagers re: cars. Nothing new. But a different take for its social-historical perspective. WaPo this a.m.: Cruising toward Oblivion.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (09-20-2015), pgfpro (09-04-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
I'm seeing this in my part of the woods also. I live in a small a town and you would think the younger generation would have to own or borrow their folks car to get around, but a lot of them don't even have a drivers license? The good news is from what I have been seeing is the ones that have interest in cars want a car that gets great fuel mileage, so they can save their money for the next app or smart phone.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
One too many of them left on the road, Mercedes SUV all over my but for about 2 miles through Williamsburg.

I'm +7 over the limit (25).

regards
mech
Old 09-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
I just got my driver license after turning 24 (the minimum legal age to get a driver license in my country is 18), still didn't get a car, and I'm actually considering to get a small motorcycle (between 100 to 250cc) instead.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All three of my kids were driving by themselves shortly after turning 14.5 on school permits(permit at 14, 6 after permit, can get school permit. Last one turns 16 next month so almost done driving him around on weekends.

Cars are different for him, I had to work on my hand me downs once every couple weeks at least. Todays cars are some much more reliable than the 74 Grandville and 67 GMC that were my first hand me down cars that he doesn't need to know much other than how to jump it when it occasionally drains the battery.

He called an hour ago saying a front tire on Stratus was smoking but still had air, guessing he's going to get to learn how to change a caliper, but hoping just the rubber hose clamp rust restricting the brake fluid.

PS: They all started on dirt bikes by 6-7, riding lawn mowers by 12 which I think gave them a good edge on learning cars.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
I just got my driver license after turning 24
I would never have guessed that from your avatar.
________

John Heitmann, a historian at the University of Dayton who studies Americans’ relationship with automobiles: “And the way we live now, especially on the coasts, it’s a bother to own a car."

Says someone from... Ohio? Highway 101 isn't much more than a barrier if you don't have a car.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
All three of my kids were driving by themselves shortly after turning 14.5 on school permits(permit at 14, 6 after permit, can get school permit. Last one turns 16 next month so almost done driving him around on weekends.

Cars are different for him, I had to work on my hand me downs once every couple weeks at least. Todays cars are some much more reliable than the 74 Grandville and 67 GMC that were my first hand me down cars that he doesn't need to know much other than how to jump it when it occasionally drains the battery.

He called an hour ago saying a front tire on Stratus was smoking but still had air, guessing he's going to get to learn how to change a caliper, but hoping just the rubber hose clamp rust restricting the brake fluid.

PS: They all started on dirt bikes by 6-7, riding lawn mowers by 12 which I think gave them a good edge on learning cars.
My first car was a 1974 Grandville too! With a hole in the gas tank.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
My first car was a 1974 Grandville too! With a hole in the gas tank.
AKA the carburettor?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I would never have guessed that from your avatar.
Now I see, I should have used "only" instead of "just", but you know, English is not my native language. Well, I'm 25 and have my driving license for almost a year (got it in September 2014, I just don't remember the exact day and am too lazy to open my wallet and check it) and haven't driven more than 4 or 5 times since then, mostly in highway during road trips with my dad.

Anyway, unlike my friends who don't seem to look at fuel-efficiency so seriously and often drive like a raped ape, I have always preferred utility vehicles such as those Jap microvans and the VW Kombi, and my dad says that I drive conservatively.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Yawn. When I was a kid it was only a subset of folks my age who cared about cars. Still is true. Some people loved them and still do, most saw them as appliances. Still do.

What I find cool is how the enthusiast is changing. When I was a teen you needed to which end of the wrench to use. Now that is still important but so is knowing which key to press on the laptop. Next generation will be figuring out how to get more amps through the system, strapping larger gauge wires on there. Should be interesting.

Reply  Post New Thread