Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have watched a number of auto repair tips and tricks videos and it seems like most of them have the same hack tips--most of them have the Shouty trip that I shared some months back about using a scrap of plastic to keep a bolt in a socket. I watched another video like this and the guy kind of made fun of Shouty and Eric the Car Guy. Someone mentioned Shouty in the comments and the poster wrote this:

He has 159,000 subscribers. Shouty has 2.74m. Eric is partially retired and has 1.36m.

Shouty is more of an entertainer than a mechanic, but I still prefer him and Eric to this other guy.
He's right though, if you replace a part and it doesn't fix the problem you didn't diagnose it correctly. Even good mechanics make mistakes/misdiagnose, but good mechanics get it right the first time the great majority of the time.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have watched a number of auto repair tips and tricks videos and it seems like most of them have the same hack tips--most of them have the Shouty trip that I shared some months back about using a scrap of plastic to keep a bolt in a socket. I watched another video like this and the guy kind of made fun of Shouty and Eric the Car Guy. Someone mentioned Shouty in the comments and the poster wrote this:

He has 159,000 subscribers. Shouty has 2.74m. Eric is partially retired and has 1.36m.

Shouty is more of an entertainer than a mechanic, but I still prefer him and Eric to this other guy.
I've been saying Shouty is a hack from the beginning (and not entertaining). I know next to nothing about auto repair and can tell this. Eric is better; how he has fewer subscribers is a mystery.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts

Old 10-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've been saying Shouty is a hack from the beginning (and not entertaining). I know next to nothing about auto repair and can tell this. Eric is better; how he has fewer subscribers is a mystery.
Loud and obnoxious is what's in style these days. Someone who simply presents good information in a professional way apparently makes people think of a college lecture room or something.

Myself, I prefer the plain presentation style, I don't need a bunch of flair. Then again, I am very much the type to offer a plain, professional presentation over something big and flashy.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I don't need to be entertained to keep my attention when the purpose is to fix something. My attention is already 100% there because I need to fix something, and the person is presenting the information necessary to complete the fix. Shouting won't get any more of my attention.

If Shouty had useful videos, I'd tolerate his shouting to watch. As it is, randos have more useful videos so I don't bother with his.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I know it's a Shouty thread, but since I showed the MCM video without comment, I should point to MCM's production values. These guys started in their driveway, but now they have photoshoots on an acre of seamless paper.

Here's part 3:

They don't talk about fuel economy, but I can see (at 9:00) that thing is sprung so stiff it will rattle your teeth.

I also like Rich Rebuild's since he put the Zero motorcycle engine in a Model A roadster. That one should be quite economical.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mighty Car Mods had a video trying out various gas-saving devices, but I feel that they, like ChrisFix, went from relatable videos of projects that may actually do, to interesting ones that we could never afford.

Did anyone watch MCM's video with 250 car tips? I watched that a while ago and have not gotten around to creating a thread, although I doubt that anyone would read a significant fraction of the list.

Have any of you watched "The Car Wizard?" He seems to know his stuff, but has absolutely zero personality. Am I watching a car video for my own project or for entertainment?
Old 10-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
if you replace a part and it doesn't fix the problem you didn't diagnose it correctly
What about replacing some part with other out of the required specification? I have recently seen that in a '98 Mitsubishi Pajero, which had a vacuum hose replaced with a weaker one, leading it to shut down at full-throttle while cold.

Quote:
Even good mechanics make mistakes/misdiagnose, but good mechanics get it right the first time the great majority of the time.
Sometimes a simpler failure might be harder to notice at a first glance...
Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
What about replacing some part with other out of the required specification? I have recently seen that in a '98 Mitsubishi Pajero, which had a vacuum hose replaced with a weaker one, leading it to shut down at full-throttle while cold.
I would argue that this is even worse than replacing the wrong part.

Quote:
Sometimes a simpler failure might be harder to notice at a first glance...
Agreed. I was speaking to people who just throw parts at a car (for example, the car's idle wanders, so with no diagnosis let's just replace the IAC valve.) I've seen that exact scenario a few times and not once has it actually fixed the issue.

Fixing a big issue and then finding that there are smaller problems remaining is a whole different game, as long as the first fix was actually needed. Another example: We had a lady come into the Ford shop I worked at for oil changes. She did her oil changes there, and for about 2 years every time we topped off her rear differential and told her that her axle seals were leaking, and should be replaced. Well she she finally agreed to having the work done, and when we got underneath her pickup we found that she not only needed axle seals, but she needed new axle shafts (groove worn in from 2 years of running dry), and an unrelated fix was that she needed new fuel tank straps. We wouldn't have found the the rusted out fuel tank straps if we hadn't been up under the axle working on all that.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
...and an unrelated fix was that she needed new fuel tank straps.
I can confirm it happens. I was riding in a school bus when in high school, and the gas tank fell out at 25-30mph.