Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Are wide tires better?
Great invention. 6 21.43%
Ok. 4 14.29%
OK for off road and racing. 10 35.71%
Make vehicles more expensive with no benifit. 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

And just for fun, R8 conspiracy edition.

Ok, so our's wasn't a gordini but it did have a 1300 swap in its later years.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjts1 For This Useful Post:
Varn (07-10-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Wide tires are nice for traction and possibly ride, bad for FE.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Wide tires are nice for traction and possibly ride, bad for FE.
...exactly.

• Analogy #1: Q - How many marathon runners do you see running in a pair of huge, floppy, 'Ronald McDonald™' shoes? A - none!

• Analogy #2: Q - How many marathon bicyclists do you see driving on wide, low-pressure, knobbed, tires instead of on narrow, high-pressure, thin-tread tires? A - none!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
And wide tires are not all that good for on-road traction.

If you have ever ridden a 10 speed AND a mountain bike through the slush you will know exactly what I am talking about. The skinny 10 speed tire cuts through the slush and on to the pavement, displacing only enough material to reach the road surface, leaving the rest of your weight for traction. The wider tires do not penetrate as well, and you are sliding around on the surface of the slush.

If a narrow tire and wide tire have the same tread pattern then the narrow one will still resist hydroplaning better.

Where wider tires help is in racecars where you are targeting several Gs and expect to change to new tires regularly despite spreading the loads across the wider width.

Wider tires also help when there are significant chunks of road missing, so that some part of your tire is more likely to be in contact with the road even if half the tire is over a pothole, or in off-road situations where your forward thrust is part newtonian
Varn (07-10-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...exactly.

• Analogy #1: Q - How many marathon runners do you see running in a pair of huge, floppy, 'Ronald McDonald™' shoes? A - none!

• Analogy #2: Q - How many marathon bicyclists do you see driving on wide, low-pressure, knobbed, tires instead of on narrow, high-pressure, thin-tread tires? A - none!
Neither of those "analogies" are analogous to tire width.

I think if there is any conspiracy at all, it is in the ridiculously pressures commonly specified. Width doesn't seem to be a big deal unless one goes to extremes.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
True. Wider tires give better handling and cornering capability. That makes the car safer if it responds better in avoiding a collision. (I would expect that those who are primarily concerned with or obsessed with fuel economy will be dismissive of that aspect. If you call wide tires a "conspiracy" that shows a certain bias.)
My replacement car has 195s whereas my own car has 205s - all LRR tyres.
There's not that much difference in driving quality between them.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
diesel_john -

I can't figure out what to vote yet. I am leaning towards "Ok". Aesthetically I think the larger proportion tires can make a car look better, aka Hot Wheels. But whenever I see the price of owning wide tires I balk. I'll go for cheap vanity gizmos here and there, but I can't ju$tify wide tire vanity, and they sure don't help from an Ecomodder standpoint.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
And wide tires are not all that good for on-road traction.

If you have ever ridden a 10 speed AND a mountain bike through the slush you will know exactly what I am talking about. The skinny 10 speed tire cuts through the slush and on to the pavement, displacing only enough material to reach the road surface, leaving the rest of your weight for traction. The wider tires do not penetrate as well, and you are sliding around on the surface of the slush.

If a narrow tire and wide tire have the same tread pattern then the narrow one will still resist hydroplaning better.

Where wider tires help is in racecars where you are targeting several Gs and expect to change to new tires regularly despite spreading the loads across the wider width.
The big difference between skinny/wide bicycle tires, is that different sized car tires inflate to the same pressure whereas the different sized bicycle tires can vary by 60+psi.

Quote:
Wider tires also help when there are significant chunks of road missing, so that some part of your tire is more likely to be in contact with the road even if half the tire is over a pothole, or in off-road situations where your forward thrust is part newtonian
I hope you are not using newtonian on any of my trails. You might get a lecture about not tearing up the trails for the next guy. (ok so we don't have much in the way of mud) The most impressive run I saw as a little truggy with a 4cyl engine and lots of gearing putter up a waterfall without hardly slipping at all.

As far as wider/skinnier tires, I think it depends a lot on car weight, my wifes 05 Accord bulges the front tires even at max sidewall, and we went wider when we changed them. My truck tires now stay round even when I have a heavy load in the back. Unloaded they will stay round down to 25psi.

So all in all my answer is it depends on the vehicle, weight, typical driving conditions... etc as to weather wider is better or not.

Last edited by cfg83; 06-27-2011 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: quote fixing
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
diesel_john -

I can't figure out what to vote yet. I am leaning towards "Ok". Aesthetically I think the larger proportion tires can make a car look better, aka Hot Wheels. But whenever I see the price of owning wide tires I balk. I'll go for cheap vanity gizmos here and there, but I can't ju$tify wide tire vanity, and they sure don't help from an Ecomodder standpoint.

CarloSW2
I will admit that the choices I gave for the survey are pretty lame. And probably violated every rule in surveyology. I am just tic'd that 13" tires are being phased out.
diesel_john
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
I will admit that the choices I gave for the survey are pretty lame. And probably violated every rule in surveyology. I am just tic'd that 13" tires are being phased out.
diesel_john
OOOOOOooooooo! That's a BIG tire conspiracy, not a wide tire conspiracy! Why didn't you say so?

Reply  Post New Thread