Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #91 (permalink)
I"m not lurking!

Porthos - '96 Chevrolet Cavalier
90 day: 31.3 mpg (US)
I converted a Ford 360ci to a V4 back around '80. It ran fine, no vibration issues. I left the unused cylinders in, and they just pumped air back and forth through the intake manifold. Intake valves were blocked open, exhaust valves remained closed. Their plenum was blocked by a freeze plug beneath the carb.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #92 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Congrats Frank!

And thanks for whoever it was that voted for me, lol.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #93 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Congrats Frank. Look forward to your thread also.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #94 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Congratulations to frank!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #95 (permalink)
XFi
Driving NOW

Now - '07 Hyundai Accent GS

Xspire - '97 Ford Aspire
90 day: 47.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
I realize the competition is over, but hopefully there are some new ideas in there others can use. I tried to keep the mods somewhat practical, so I kept the "dreaming" type stuff out. There are a few borderline though..
GREAT WRITE UP! Thanks LostCause! PM me with a name and address and I will send you out a sticker.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #96 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
LostCause has a good list- I have some questions:

How are the supercapacitors used?
Is VW tranny fluid special?
If there's a completely smooth belly pan, what good are side skirts? And vice-versa.
Has anyone done the grease/oil bearing pack?
Cost/benefit of HID vs. regular lights? Can resistors be put in-line with headlamps to bring them down 10 watts? What's it save?
How does double-clutching save money?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #97 (permalink)
XFi
Driving NOW

Now - '07 Hyundai Accent GS

Xspire - '97 Ford Aspire
90 day: 47.9 mpg (US)
Frankly, I mean Frank Lee...your $100 prize is in the mail today!
Please let me know when you recieve it. Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I am not sure what the SuperCaps are for. I think he forgot to add the electric assist trolling motor for high traffic slow speed mobility.
I have the Oil/Grease mix in my rear wheel bearings.
I noticed an immediate improvement in the way she rolled.
Probly mostly over the fact I was replacing my wheel bearings for a reason, don'tcha know.
As for real world testing, I have none.
I have found a resource for ultra low resistance grease for the future though.
When necessary I will use this grease and see how it feels.
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 03-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #99 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Thanks Xfi- will do!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #100 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
GREAT WRITE UP! Thanks LostCause! PM me with a name and address and I will send you out a sticker.
Thank you for your generosity and I am glad you liked it. You are going above and beyond your ecomodder duties...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
LostCause has a good list- I have some questions:

How are the supercapacitors used?
The best analogy I can come up with is another idea I decided not to post due to its impracticality: the inertia starter. An inertia starter uses a flywheel that serves as an energy storage system to provide a high impulse of energy over a short period of time. The battery or human turning the flywheel serves as a low impulse form of energy over a long period of time. Essentially, it utilizes each form of energy in its most efficient form. Batteries are great sources of energy storage, but they have high voltage sag due to high internal resistance. Supercapacitors, atleast in their current state, are poor storers of energy, but have extremely low internal resistance/voltage sag so they can dump their energy much more efficiently. Overall, the idea is to get by with a smaller battery (i.e. one not required to put out 500+ CCA), route the energy to the supercapacitors with a lighter cable, and place the supercapacitors closer to the starter where a short section of heavy, thick cable can be used to lower impedence. Lowering system weight is essential when you are trying to get by without a battery.

Awesome stuff...

Quote:
Is VW tranny fluid special?
It is just an extremely low viscosity, non-synthetic transmission fluid that has passed industry protection levels. I forgot the exact scale that rates protection, but it ranked 4 out of 5. VW also makes a slightly thicker synthetic that has a lower viscosity when cold. It is costly, though. I'll find the link when I have more time.

Quote:
If there's a completely smooth belly pan, what good are side skirts? And vice-versa.
There are three primary reasons I can think of: yaw angle, spillover (for lack of a better term), and downforce. When I have more time, I'll describe each in more detail and with greater accuracy.

Yaw angle refers to the apparent air velocity direction under the vehicle. I need to refresh on the exact mechanism, but essentially high pressure air at the front underside of the vehicle tries to escape out the sides rather than flowing continuously back. This air travels obliquely to the direction of vehicle travel (which entails a energy loss in itself) and in doing so hits the wheels. While the front wheels show the greatest effect, the rear wheels are also affected. The wheels, which visually appear to have a small aerodynamic cross section, are much more dirty due to this oblique airflow. Skirts physically block off this phenomenon by removing the "easier" route for air to follow. Skirts allow the air direction to stay closer to the direction of vehicle motion.

Spillover is very similar to yaw angle, but it just describes the mixing of two regions of different pressure. Like the tips of wings, where high pressure air tries to rise up to the lower pressure upper surface, differences in pressure between the bottom of the vehicle and sides cause the direction of airflow to be altered. The more you change the air surrounding an aerodynamic body, the more drag you create.

Lastly, as Lotus had done with their open wheel race cars, side skirts allow the creation of a venturi under the vehicle. While the venturi would create downforce to counteract the lift generated on vehicles, I am not 100% sure whether this counteraction would decrease cL. Lift, as measured by the lift coefficient, brings rise to induced drag. As unintuitive as it might seem, cars generate lift like airplane wings and create the same type of vortexes. I suppose at the very least it would allow corners to be taken at higher speeds, lowering the use of brakes...

Quote:
Cost/benefit of HID vs. regular lights? Can resistors be put in-line with headlamps to bring them down 10 watts? What's it save?
It depends on how cheaply you can get OEM headlights. HID technology is old enough that they will probably start showing up in junkyards soon. I believe headlights currently cost $300-500 for a pair. As far as gas prices are concerned, it can either be thought of as a long term investment to hedge against rising energy costs or it can be added later when the technology is cheaper, parts are more available, and gas prices are high enough to lead to an immediate payback.

I suppose resistors could be used, but they are inefficient (they generate heat, which equals lost energy) and 10w incandescent light bulbs will not be very bright. 55w incandescents may pass for those in well lit areas, but the true benefit of HID is that they produce more light at 55w than an incandescent at 65w. Logically, you could feed HID less energy (say, 45w) and have the same amount of light as the original lamp. Additionaly, as far as I have seen, HID's even outperform LED's in Lumens/watt. No need to wait for or waste money on bleeding edge technology.

10-20w won't save much by itself, but if it allows you to run without an alternator you will reap huge savings (MetroMPG showed a 10%+ increase). 10-20w may not seem like a lot, but when running without an alternator, I'll take whatever I can get.

Quote:
How does double-clutching save money?
Two ways: lower clutch/synchro wear and the ability to run a lower viscosity MTF.

The section should have really read Rev-matching/Double clutching, but the logic is that by matching transmission and engine speed you lower clutch and synchro wear. Double clutching is only used when decellerating, but downshifting is one of the areas of greatest clutch and synchro wear, I believe. Prolonging the life of a clutch may not be worth much, but it is not tough to do and every penny counts. Synchros, while long lived, are generally extremely expensive to replace (if you don't just replace the transmission itself).

The ability to run lower viscosity oil may be contentious, but the logic is that double clutching removes the reliance on synchros. The biggest complaint I've seen of running low-weight oil, especially with people who have worn transmissions, is grinding when going into gear. This grinding is generally caused by worn synchros failing to rev-match mating gears. Rev-matching/Double clutching, as done in the days of the Model T, is completely unreliant on synchros. In the end, it is a personal choice of choosing whether to risk damaging gears by not providing enough lubrication. When you have an old car whose transmission costs $100, the choice is easier. +1 for old cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
I think he forgot to add the electric assist trolling motor for high traffic slow speed mobility.
My logic is to install an injector kill switch, put the car into first, let out the clutch and hit the starter...instant electric car. Obviously this is taxing the starter and battery, but I figure going to the junkyard, finding a couple starters cheap, and learning to rebuild them negates any wear. I still need to sort out the battery issue, but Lead Acid batteries are so ancient I'm putting my money on newer types (NiMH, Li-ion, etc).

Buying starters and rebuilding them may be mildly expensive, but I figure it is a hobby that saves me money rather than pure economics...plus, I like to think it is a long-term investment that will pay off. The way gas prices are these days, it might not be that long term...

I hope that answered every question thoroughly. I wrote this quick so please excuse the poor grammar/spelling...

(Do I get a star for length? )

- LostCause

Last edited by LostCause; 03-13-2008 at 02:46 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread