Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Wherever possible, it is always better to plan ahead, so that you do not need to brake.
When you descend several thousand vertical feet of winding mountain road, though, some braking is highly recommended :-)

Quote:
I do not have any idea about an aircraft that could pulse and glide, braking regeneratively; it just seems the same as a car, you burn energy to accelerate, and then try to recover it with a loss.
You could easily do it in a sailplane, given an afternoon with good thermals. Not really a good option for cross-country travel, though, as you spend a lot of time circling in the thermals.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Someone once pointed out to me that regenerative braking is still braking--you recover energy, but with a significant loss. Wherever possible, it is always better to plan ahead, so that you do not need to brake.

I do not have any idea about an aircraft that could pulse and glide, braking regeneratively; it just seems the same as a car, you burn energy to accelerate, and then try to recover it with a loss.
The aviation industry is banking on better technology in the coming generations, like better batteries/power cells that store more power/charge faster and electric motors with less resistance/weight with higher output. It is ambitious but feasible given the strides made in R&D today.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:07 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Does not one of you understand??

If you’re thinking a ram air turbine is intended to be used for electricity, you’re missing the entire concept of ram air systems and how a turbine (not powered by wind). Powered with electricity to increase the air pressure into the air compartment for a ram air system. Does this make sense when I explain it that way? Wind turbines aren’t strictly a green energy thjngs you … super intelligent answerers. And I’m this scenario I’m considering doing it myself. I replaced my cold air intake with a ram air filter and hose going into my turbos. If I add a turbine for more air induction I’m thinking it will increase the horsepower and the efficiency due to cooler engine temperatures etc.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Does not one of you understand??
First post you choose an eight year old thread?

Quote:
Does this make sense when I explain it that way?
Fragmentary sentences? Misspelling 'thjngs'?

We await the result of your experimentation.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:49 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Yea, it's a pretty weird first post.

The guy is going to invent the turbocharger or the supercharger perhaps, but I'm pretty sure those have been around for a while.

Maybe he will invent a combination of both, a twincharger...........oh wait, those have been around for a while too.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 06-04-2023, 05:15 AM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi, I’m sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Im using a small iPhone to dictate my thoughts so I apologize for the errors. Half of the things I’ve written on smart phones tend to get lost instead of posted for a few reasons. Usually this happens while I’m attempting to proof read my post. So I tend to shy away from trying to pick through and highlight, move curser, delete, retype for that reason. Also I apologize if I seem arrogant and ignorant. I assure you I’m not thinking I’m better than anyone nor do I think you all are anything other than intelligent. I came across this site because I’m researching ways to modify my pick up as well as prolong engine life/performance in that order. Sorry guys. Didn’t mean to kick things off with a bad impression.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thielsenmadam For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-25-2023), freebeard (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 08:11 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thielsenmadam View Post
I came across this site because I’m researching ways to modify my pick up ......
There are three links in my signature to projects on my S10 pickup truck, maybe they will help. They were done more for stability and safety than increase in MPG, and none of it concerned longevity although the truck still runs and is on the road 25 years after it was built.

In my opinion, be it manual or automatic transmission they might fail in half the time of the engine unless an aggressive maintenance schedule above and beyond what the manufacture recommends is implemented.

Do you tow?

Double the transmission fluid change interval yet again from the above mentioned.

You might end up changing the transmission fluid near as often as the engine oil, but if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

EDIT:

Maybe adding a transmission cooler?

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/lea...ion-cooler-faq
Quote:
Why You Need An Automatic Transmission Cooler

9 out of 10 transmission failures are caused by overheating.

Automatic transmission coolers can increase transmission life by decreasing transmission oil temperature.

Every 20 degree drop in temperature doubles transmission oil life.

The engines in today's cars have been downsized for economy's sake and must work harder than before. An automatic transmission cooler can help get rid of the extra heat generated.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa

Chin Spoiler:

Roof Wing

Last edited by kach22i; 06-04-2023 at 08:24 AM..
Old 06-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
boosting impellor section of turbo

If I understand the premise of the modification correctly, we're talking about boosting the ambient air entering the 'suction' side of the turbo to above atmospheric pressure, with an electric turbine.
If this is correct, then I'd have the following comments:
1) The OEM design already provides for cold-air intake.
2) Since the turbo already provides artificially-enhanced induction, 'ram-air' wouldn't necessarily improve the situation, and might cause harm.
3) The OEM turbo setup is already capable of delivering more charge than the engine is capable of ingesting, even at very high elevation ( Pike's Peak ).
4) Impellor boost pressure available to the cylinders is constrained by the waste-gate on the turbine end of the shaft.
5) Without boost pressure control, combustion pressures could exceed what the engine can tolerate without damage.
6) Arbitrarily boosting pressure on top of the impellor circumvents the waste-gate's protection, allowing enough charge to turn the engine into a grenade.
7) Blowing up the engine is not efficient.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you really want to increase the vehicle's efficiency, consider reducing it's LOAD, via lower rolling-resistance, and lower aerodynamic drag.
Leaving the engine alone will maintain it's durability and reliability.
freebeard (06-05-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 05:18 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you really want to increase the vehicle's efficiency, consider reducing it's LOAD, via lower rolling-resistance, and lower aerodynamic drag.
Leaving the engine alone will maintain it's durability and reliability.
Excellent suggestions.

Engine modifications scare off prospective buyers for a reason.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa

Chin Spoiler:

Roof Wing
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
'scare'

It's a funny thing.
The first time I went to Bonneville, in 1989, I got to 'know' the Nafzger/Savage, four-wheeled LSR, Ninja-powered streamliner, owned, designed, and driven by Howard Nafzger, a retired IBM engineer, along with his partner in crime, Mr. Savage.
The motorcycle engine was essentially 'bone-stock', which was a surprise to me.
As the 'new guy' it never occurred to me that these cars were running flat-out for 8-miles, and the demands that would place on a powerplant.
Winning a speed record could be a matter of just holding an engine together long enough to quality, and then after impoundment, do the return run, a requirement for an official, two-way averaged FIA speed/ time.
Everyone returned the next year. ESPN was there to film the whole thing, and Howard pulled off an average 247-mph, for a Red Hat and a 1-liter speed record.