Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2022, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Window tint reverse heat insulation?

So random question, and had no idea where to post this but…

I’ve seen some window tinting companies also make claims that their window tints also keep the car warmer in the winter because INFRARED RAYS Go both ways. So the heat it blocks out from the sun coming in isn’t the only thing the tints do. It also blocks the IR from going out of the car also. I’ve seen some people simply claim that window tints are insulation.

This kind of makes sense, but is it backed up at all? Have any tests been done? Will a car that has window tints stay warmer longer in the cold winter?

The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-21-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2022, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Sure infrared may go both ways, no wonder those thermal-imaging cameras resort to it, yet I'm not sure to which extent window tint would retain heat inside the vehicle. I have never even seen such claims by any window tint manufacturer.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Sure infrared may go both ways, no wonder those thermal-imaging cameras resort to it, yet I'm not sure to which extent window tint would retain heat inside the vehicle. I have never even seen such claims by any window tint manufacturer.
https://www.skylinetint.com/why-you-...car-in-winter/

I’ve seen the claim used on many other sites too but that’s one example. I just haven’t seen any tests done to actually prove this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39BDEB69-CD72-4A93-B4DC-F5ECE2EA5F63.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	31970  
Old 04-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Would love to get two side by side identical cars. One tinted and one not tinted. Bring the internal cabin temp to the same and then turn them off and measure the rate at heat being lost
Old 04-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
window tint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
So random question, and had no idea where to post this but…

I’ve seen some window tinting companies also make claims that their window tints also keep the car warmer in the winter because INFRARED RAYS Go both ways. So the heat it blocks out from the sun coming in isn’t the only thing the tints do. It also blocks the IR from going out of the car also. I’ve seen some people simply claim that window tints are insulation.

This kind of makes sense, but is it backed up at all? Have any tests been done? Will a car that has window tints stay warmer longer in the cold winter?
PhD Richard Feynman claimed that simple window pane would prevent UV radiation from passing.
Visible spectrum radiation would pass through, then change to long-wave infrared as soon as it touched a surface, and get trapped inside the 'greenhouse.'
Selective coatings on films could be tailored to particular wavelengths, as far as 'radiative forcing' goes.
They could do NOTHING as far as 'conductive heat-gain, or 'heat-loss' were concerned.
Sitting close to the glass, you might not 'feel' your body chilled or heated so much, but the R-Factor ( or it's inverse, heat-transfer coefficient ) of the cabin would be whatever it was.
At some point you need 'insulation.'
Old 04-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Possibly beside the point of this thread, but here is something I've always wondered about:
A tinted window will absorb certain wavelengths of light as heat, heating up the glass. This heat is then radiated to the environment on both sides of the glass, though more to the side which is cooler.
Am I right, or missing something?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Possibly beside the point of this thread, but here is something I've always wondered about:
A tinted window will absorb certain wavelengths of light as heat, heating up the glass. This heat is then radiated to the environment on both sides of the glass, though more to the side which is cooler.
Am I right, or missing something?
yeah the tint absorbs the heat. in some cases, the glass can crack and shatter if its thin and weak glass attached to the tint
Piwoslaw (04-22-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
PhD Richard Feynman claimed that simple window pane would prevent UV radiation from passing.
Visible spectrum radiation would pass through, then change to long-wave infrared as soon as it touched a surface, and get trapped inside the 'greenhouse.'
Selective coatings on films could be tailored to particular wavelengths, as far as 'radiative forcing' goes.
They could do NOTHING as far as 'conductive heat-gain, or 'heat-loss' were concerned.
Sitting close to the glass, you might not 'feel' your body chilled or heated so much, but the R-Factor ( or it's inverse, heat-transfer coefficient ) of the cabin would be whatever it was.
At some point you need 'insulation.'
yeah i definitely can feel the cold coming in during winter nights if i put my hand near the window. thats why i was asking if the claims are simply false about IR going both ways
freebeard (04-21-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
in some cases, the glass can crack and shatter if its thin and weak glass attached to the tint
I have never seen a car glass shattering due to tint.

Reply  Post New Thread