Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cheapsake mo-bile - '91 Ford Festiva
90 day: 39.51 mpg (US)
Window unit vs central air

We're trying figure out which would be cheaper. In the past we've run a small unit in our bedroom to keep cool at night, the central is off at this point. Saved us from having to crank the central a little higher. The unit was a little to big so it may not be a good comparison. That unit is now upstairs since our sister is living up there, no central air to the second floor. A small a/c window unit at Walmart runs $89-ish. I would compare kilowatts and all that but our central a/c is so old without hooking up an actual meter probably wouldn't be able to calculate correctly. We usually plan to keep the central off till July unless it hits 100. Anybody with a little insight.. we have a few weeks before we'll think about buying one.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
It depends on how many people are running around your house at any given time of day. If you're single and live alone, I'd think the window unit would be cheaper to run. You only need the room that you're in to be cool. At night, you can only sleep in one place. No sense in cooling the whole house, especially when heat rises to higher floors.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Make sure you choose the right size unit for the size of the room. The new compressors are super efficient and cheap to run. Do compare the yellow sticker efficiency ratings on various units. Spending a few more $$ for a higher quality unit can save more electricity.

In the long run you should check pricing on replacing your old central A/C unit with a newer, more efficient one. The efficiency is remarkable improved over even units sold 5 years ago. I don't see your location, but if humidity isn't a big problem where you live you could be very comfortable running the central unit (a new one) at 78-80 degrees for the first floor while adding spot cooling with ceiling or box fans.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Steve Benton

The Green Thing - '93 Geo Metro XFI
90 day: 66.18 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to dBSteve Send a message via MSN to dBSteve Send a message via Yahoo to dBSteve
I keep my house at 70

To use, thats comfortable ... well ... 68-72

We thought about shutting off the AC and use attic fan in early evenings then run window unit in bedroom just to be able to sleep

I would like some ratings or tests results as well.

Thing is ... going out and spending $100-$200 on a window unit ... well thats 1 month of electricity at 68 degrees

If I lower my electric bill by 25% by using a window unit it would take 4 months to pay for it PLUS our comfort level at home would suffer.

So .... I"m wondering is if the best way is for someone to GIVE you a window unit to actually see anysavings
Steve's Geo Metro Page
Old 06-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

HF - '85 Honda CRX HF
Well, a window unit is definitely a durable good, you should be able to keep it for years. Assuming you save $100 a year with it, and paid $200 for it, over 10 years your in the black $800, even though that first summer you bit it.

"The HF" :1985 CRX HF - 102K miles! Runs super strong, modifications will be entirely mileage oriented
"The DX" :1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car
Reply  Post New Thread