Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I have thought about this before and they do have wireless electricity out there are the charge pads and before those were out I read a review on a wireless mouse with no battery the mouse pad supplied the power and could even send it with a thick math book on top of the pad.

Nikola Tesla supposedly had a car that was powered by attenuating an antenna to the resonance frequency of Earths magnetic fields and converting that to usable power. The bad thing is Tesla never wrote down his work unless he was getting it patented so no help there.

If we are going to try this it would be best to try and use the power that we are dumping into the air from AM/FM radio we know how to tune to that.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
FYI, this has sorta been discussed already:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post174648
Old 08-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Nikola Tesla supposedly had a car that was powered by attenuating an antenna to the resonance frequency of Earths magnetic fields and converting that to usable power. The bad thing is Tesla never wrote down his work unless he was getting it patented so no help there.

If we are going to try this it would be best to try and use the power that we are dumping into the air from AM/FM radio we know how to tune to that.
Yes, the pioneer of electricity knows way more about it than modern professors of the science In fact, Alexander Bell knew more about cell phones than we know today, but sadly he forgot to write that down too. The Write Bros. shortly after learning how to keep a plane in the air for a few seconds, later went on to invent a perpetual flying machine, but again they failed to document how it works. It's really a shame that all the brilliant people are now dead.

On the subject of lunatic ideas, I propose a car that harnesses the power of hamsters. They really like to run in those exercise wheels, so why not power a car with that energy? We could pull the engine and replace it with 100 hamsters. 100 horsepower... no, even better, 100 hamsterpower!

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I have thought about this before and they do have wireless electricity out there are the charge pads...
Yeah, as I said before, it's just a transformer :-) The problem is this little thing called the inverse square law, which means the amount of power you can capture falls dramatically the further you get from the source. Look at broadcast radio: major stations would put out 50 thousand watts at the transmitting antenna, while your radio set would get millionths of a watt and amplify it.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I thought i would just add this link
HowStuffWorks "How Wireless Power Works"

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
misleading statement in that link
"Since then, researchers have developed several techniques for moving electricity over long distances without wires. Some exist only as theories or prototypes, but others are already in use. If you have an electric toothbrush, for example, you probably take advantage of one method every day."

the toothbrush holder is in very close proximity to the toothbrush when charging, and when they are close it is exactly a transformer.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I call 40% efficient because of the point in time we are in , and that 40% was the minimum they got from meters of distance from there tests...

Blastings it out in all directions? No , the devices can be setup to only give off energy when needed and based on the specific vehicle.

In my post I did say now or within the near future they could deal with devices or coils every couple of meters. So if the technology did not advance enough to be usable for cars with towers than that would work giving you a 60-70% efficiency without the need for gas transport to gas stations , without the need of gas stations taking up space , without the need of traffic caused from people stopping to need to refuel , without the hassle of needing to stop to refuel , while having the maintenance of an electric car without the need to battery life.

Would be a huge improvement , also the speed limits could be limited to within 5 mph of the speed limit through the current that the devices are emit per vehicle.

60-70% seems to me like a reasonable % of efficiency based on the technologys advancements at the moment , batterys themselves are what a maximum of 90%.

I may be getting a bit over enthused about this , but I still think if the government would go for it , with technology how it already is it could definitely work WAY better than anything the government has plans for.

Another plus , more passenger and trunk space.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
the problem is this little thing called the inverse square law, which means the amount of power you can capture falls dramatically the further you get from the source.
...bingo!

Reply  Post New Thread