Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
There's still things made in chillicothe? I thought it was just a wal-mart now,

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
Actually, when I was looking to buy my Neon... I noticed the 4 banger Wrangler only got a mile or so better than the 6. Both with th 5 speeds. I don't know what the 6 speed 6 cylinder gets though.

But you should be able to get better than 13...

I am always surprised how much Wranglers weigh...
Old 04-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hydrocarbon Huffer

MyWife'sKitty - '83 Mercury Cougar LS
90 day: 20.47 mpg (US)

5DoorsofFury - '01 Ford Focus Wagon SE
90 day: 28.09 mpg (US)
i remember selling jeeps at a dealership in the mid 90's..... the epa rating on jeeps was ALWAYS only 1 or 2 mpg different for engines REGARDLESS of the vehicle.... IIRC the mpg was 15/19, 16/20, or 17/21 for the 8/6/4, regardless of whether or not it was a wrangler, cherokee, or grand...... i always found that weird... i'm guessing it's because all wranglers are 4x4

Last edited by mywifeskitty; 04-19-2008 at 02:52 PM..
Old 04-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Welcome to the site Ecojeeper. You should be getting atleast 20s out of your 4 popper. You have the 2.5 TBI one right?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Active Learning - '93 Chevy Suburban Silverado
90 day: 10.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoJeeper View Post
.... I drive one.

I drive a 1994 Jeep Wrangler. It is the 4 cylinder 5 speed manual model with a soft top. I would like to get a hard top for it eventually both for looks and for a potential lessening of drag (I would just assume with the various little air gaps between the soft top and half doors that it would be worse for gas mileage than would a hard top with full doors). Anyway, it's got around 138,000 miles on it and still runs pretty good.

Now I have a bit more hope for improving it (when I first bought the Jeep I was only getting around 13 mpg).
Well I dont feel so out of place then with my '93 suburban. while Im not trying to be an hypermiler thats not to say some of their techniques wont come in handy.
Looks to me like you need to start where I'm starting and find out why your mileage is so bad to begin with. This rig will be used to advertise our Preschool business and to pick up after school kids. Still I like to be as green as financially possible.
First thing was to figure out why 10 mpg. It also had a bad hesitation just off idle on acceleration and general mediocre performance. You'd think sucking that much gas that it would perform like a race car.
First mod was to get a laptop interfaced with the ECM so I could see what the engine is doing with what sensor data.
Second mod was to get a mileage computer on it so I can see the instant mpg.

I found out quick, thanks to the laptop, that my hesitation always came when the egr was coming on.. BUT the EGR circuit is working fine. Apparently this Year GM engines don't modulate the egr. It is either on or off. I haven't been able to find anything that says different. So now Im suspicious the CAT is plugged.
Anyway without a few pages of details im up to about 13mpg. but I will get better if I have to go electric on the front axle.. 12 miles round trip to the school I should be able to do that with a few batteries. Expensive motors and controllers though.
Id say check your O2 sensor, check your EGR valve, and check your cat for airflow resistance. my mothers jeep gets 20-22 on the freeway so I am pretty sure you should be getting better then that.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

not to hijack the thread..........
consaka.........
a friend of mine had the same problem on almost the same year suburban....
drove him nuts, all sensors checked out ok, etc...........
his problem turned out to be the wrong sized tires............
apparantly the speed sensors on chevys the tire size will screw with stuff......
he went from 10mpg on the highway to almost 18-19 with putting on the stock sized tires........apparantly the last owner wanted "bigger" tires. Then sold it after his mileage went to crap. Check and see.......might be something simple!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Active Learning - '93 Chevy Suburban Silverado
90 day: 10.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by askewguru View Post
not to hijack the thread..........
consaka.........
a friend of mine had the same problem on almost the same year suburban....
drove him nuts, all sensors checked out ok, etc...........
his problem turned out to be the wrong sized tires............
apparantly the speed sensors on chevys the tire size will screw with stuff......
he went from 10mpg on the highway to almost 18-19 with putting on the stock sized tires........apparantly the last owner wanted "bigger" tires. Then sold it after his mileage went to crap. Check and see.......might be something simple!
245/75R16 The tires are almost shot and I think one is turning into an egg but other then that they are LT tires so pump up to about 50 lbs. I run them pretty hard for better mpg. I notice that just a slight pedal difference seems to be the difference between 11mpg to 22mpg on the makeshift Mileage computer. I havent gotten the CAT off yet.. the darn thing is really stuck and ill have to use the sawsall on it. I really hate that. The Y pipe is kinda garbage too.

Reply  Post New Thread