Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
DMV rule book says the driver has to walk around the vehicle prior to reversing.

While I tend away from government regulation, requiring backup cameras is something I support. Small additional cost for such a useful safety device considering all vehicles already come with screens these days.

I added a backup camera to my 2006 TSX for like $12. It already had the screen, and it had the composite input on the NAV system.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-02-2022 at 04:55 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #32 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Way bad juju to run over kids in a schoolbus. Mine had bilndspot mirrors all over, and you never backed up after you dropped kids, pretty much only went forward and our rules were get out and look before backing even empty.
redpoint5 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
School buses should all get surround view cameras.

Cameras are so cheap these days that there's no excuse not to have them. If they were included during the manufacturing phase, I bet it adds $100 to the cost of the quarter million dollar vehicle.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
My son's Siverado even has yellow stripes that predict the path based on the steering angle.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Way bad juju to run over kids in a schoolbus. Mine had bilndspot mirrors all over, and you never backed up after you dropped kids, pretty much only went forward and our rules were get out and look before backing even empty.
He didn't run her over. Just that without the curved mirrors on the front (cross-over or half-moon mirrors) he wouldn't have seen her. Of course realizing that he didn't see where she had gone also was a clue. He didn't move the bus but left it parked, turned it off, took the keys out and went out and asked her why she was leaning on the bumper. Her answer was "I got tired."

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
School buses should all get surround view cameras.

Cameras are so cheap these days that there's no excuse not to have them. If they were included during the manufacturing phase, I bet it adds $100 to the cost of the quarter million dollar vehicle.

I've used a surround view camera system on the Nissan Leaf we had. Pretty neat.

For school buses or SUV's and pickups, I'm not so sure. The screen would have to be up where you don't have to take your eyes off the road. The curved mirrors on the front of a school bus are in a good spot to see those kinds of things.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
I am quite conservative, and was already displeased by all the pandering to some identitarian issues from mainstream companies, not only automakers, as those issues are raised basically as a "politically correct" segregation. And segregation is a key to control larger groups, who would become less prone to figure out what's really going on while fighting each other for nothing actually worth fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
In another one, not that long ago, a bicyclist was going straight on the shoulder. A pickup driver with a long flat bed trailer who was in a hurry flew up beside him and turned right, running over the bicyclist with the trailer.
Most of the times I see things heating up between a driver and some bicyclist, it's clearly the bicyclist's fault. Bicyclists here tend to embrace a more political stance on bicycles and become quite aggressive, even worse while riding in large groups.

Quote:
Being cautious helps, yes, but the number of SUV and pickup owners that think they own the road and are probably drunk or on marijuana just keeps rising.
Had the bureaucracy not favored trucks and SUVs over "normal" cars so much there, you should expect those very same intoxicated drivers to act the same way even if they were riding a Honda CG 125 with a sidecar.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #37 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Cameras are really nice, but they werent available back when. Kudos to the driver for doing the correct thing: parking bus, getting out of the seat and have a look see.

I would like to believe people are just plain arrogant stoopid anymore other than messed up while driving. Case in point: we had road construction for the last 3 weeks so they closed my street, cones, signs and barricades. Every day I see the same idiots attempt to shortcut down my street until they encounter the paver machine and have to turn around. Funny thing: lady down the street with a full blown off road vehicle just says "Nope" and uses the detour.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 08-04-2022 at 09:21 AM..
Old 08-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I find it difficult to post on here.I have a 2001 Honda Insight with a CVT transmission with about185K.At present it has three red warning lights on.IMA light is on.The battery was replaced by a Honda dealer in Cleveland Oh. After failure of the battery it had which was a new replacement battery.I bought the car from the original owner.I had it shipped to Gainesville Fl. Where I now live.It also has a check engine light on.I recently had new NKG spark plugs put in.I had to replace the fuel line because it had rotted and was leaking gas.I also had brakes replaced except for thr right rear wheel,because the mechanic said something was frozen and he could not get it loose.I ordered and paid for the replacement gas line. ipuchased the NKG spark plugs.I also provided the new oil and filter.The garage charged me $1800 dollars.A little steep.I also had the CVT transmission fld.changed.I am afraid to take the car to the local Honda dealer,but I may have to for diagnosis.If anyone on this sight has an Insight and could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Honda Insight problems

Anyone have a 2000 to 2006 Honda Insight.Mine has IMA warning light on and check engine light on.If anyone hear is familiar with this car I would appreciate any advice.Oh,the IMA battery was replaced shortly before I got the car.Auto stop is not working.Car is only getting 36.5mpg.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Quote:
I find it difficult to post on here.
Yet you posted twice in six minutes.

This thread is in The Lounge. Not everyone reads every new post. Another subforum like Ecomodding Central or Hybrids may be more fruitful.

Reply  Post New Thread