Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Two weels Zero sparkplugs

Got a reply from Parabellum, they're interested in making windscreens for Zero's but they need a loaner to design it. Too bad that I live a continent away from them.

Anyway, did some more digging for a nice fairing and suddenly remembered on of Vetters unfinished projects, the Alcan:

More or less the future generation of the Windjammer. Too bad it never went past the prototype stage because I frigging love the thing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Small update, I'm now looking to see if I can put an FJR fairing on the Zero.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Found a local listing with an interesting fairing:

Might go for this. It will definitely improve comfort and might give some better aerodynamics on the front side.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Adding a tail box to the FJR fairing should do the trick nicely. The Yamaha Rifle shell from Vetter would be ideal but rather hard to ship from California.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Even just a paper sheet sized windscreen made a 20 km/h difference in top speed on my Honda CB 400 N, plus I no longer had to hold the handlebars like a cliff hanger.

The FJR fairing looks very nice indeed.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Adding a tail box to the FJR fairing should do the trick nicely. The Yamaha Rifle shell from Vetter would be ideal but rather hard to ship from California.
Above is not a FJR fairing but an aftermarket fairing for the Honda Revere. First mount that and then we'll work on the tail.
The Yamaha Rifle is nice for economy runs but for commuting and filtering through traffic jams not so. I've looked at a Vetter streamliner but I'm in the market for something more rugged since I do a lot of allroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Even just a paper sheet sized windscreen made a 20 km/h difference in top speed on my Honda CB 400 N, plus I no longer had to hold the handlebars like a cliff hanger.

The FJR fairing looks very nice indeed.
I've experimented with a windscreen and it gives some extra efficiency, about 5Whr/km @ 100 km/h but the buffering goes right into my face.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Usually on gasoline engines, changing the gears will result in largest efficiency gains.
On an electric bike, gear changes are directly related to acceleration and torque, since the bike doesn't have any gears.
Efficiency gains are also minimal, since electric motors don't have that much of more friction at higher rpm, but I would be interested to see if gearing can affect range on these bikes.
More than likely, the bike has plenty of acceleration anyway, so changing the gears by 20% should still give you reasonable acceleration.
If you're lucky, you can find a front belt pulley from another bike, thats slightly larger. If not, you could do a chain conversion, and hope that the gains in gearing doesn't affect the chain over belt losses.

Fast charging through more amps, is a good way to destroy the batteries.
The first 50% might be ok, but after, the slower you charge, the longer the batteries will last.
The only other option is to find a storage space (like under seat, rear storage compartment, side storage), go to bms batteries, and install a battery there, that you can connect to the bike's charging port.
But your bike's weight will increase significantly.

For a windshield, it is best to buy a very curved one.
The curved ones will blast more wind to the side, and leave little bufetting at the face.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Usually on gasoline engines, changing the gears will result in largest efficiency gains.
On an electric bike, gear changes are directly related to acceleration and torque, since the bike doesn't have any gears.
Efficiency gains are also minimal, since electric motors don't have that much of more friction at higher rpm, but I would be interested to see if gearing can affect range on these bikes.
More than likely, the bike has plenty of acceleration anyway, so changing the gears by 20% should still give you reasonable acceleration.
If you're lucky, you can find a front belt pulley from another bike, thats slightly larger. If not, you could do a chain conversion, and hope that the gains in gearing doesn't affect the chain over belt losses.

Fast charging through more amps, is a good way to destroy the batteries.
The first 50% might be ok, but after, the slower you charge, the longer the batteries will last.
The only other option is to find a storage space (like under seat, rear storage compartment, side storage), go to bms batteries, and install a battery there, that you can connect to the bike's charging port.
But your bike's weight will increase significantly.

For a windshield, it is best to buy a very curved one.
The curved ones will blast more wind to the side, and leave little bufetting at the face.
Actually I love the belt, no more greasing. Just tighten it every so often and whack a new one on every 40.000km.

Fast charging does not destroy the batteries, it's the heat that comes with it. With correct monitoring and the right profiles charging at 1C and even higher are no problem.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

Did a rough mockup of a similar fairing as the red one:

Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
gil
EcoModding Lurker

The Drift - '85 Toyota Corolla GTS
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)

!Rally - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
90 day: 27.68 mpg (US)

Cinnamon - '13 Honda PCX 150
90 day: 75.86 mpg (US)
Great satar

I like what you have started with that fairing, it looks aerodynamic. As for the wind buffeting, you could try a spoiler that attaches to the top of the wind screen. I have heard of good results with them, I'm in the process of figuring out a windshield arrangement for my Honda PCX.

Here is one such example.
Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor - RevZilla

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xcta-h-10.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	20899  
Reply  Post New Thread